PDA

View Full Version : Southern Pennsylvania

Lemni Skate
06-14-2009, 23:04
My next multiday hike on the AT will probably be the southern 75 miles or so of Pennsylvania. I have always heard that PA is easy for resupply and I would like to carry as little as possible and resupply as often as possible. How many good resupply points and restaurants will I find...if any.

Hoop Time
06-15-2009, 09:52
You can download a copy of the ALDHA's Thru-Hikers Companion for Pa (and WVa an Md.) at http://www.aldha.org/companyn/wv-pa09.pdf.

That will give you detailed information, including resupply info.

fredmugs
06-15-2009, 10:04
You can mail re-supply packages to both the Ironmasters hostel and Caledonia State park. Both places also have food that can be purchased and next to the Ironmasters they have a small grocery store with a grill. I know there is a gas station is Boiling Springs where you can buy stuff but I don't think it's good for actual re-supply items.

If you are heading NOBO at starting at Pen Mar you should be able to reach Caledonia and the Ironmaters in a day each. I seem to recall there is a nice camping area just before you get into Boiling Springs before you do the field walk. That way you can get thru the field early in the morning. The ATC office should be able to give you intel on trail conditions, water, etc for the rest of your hike.

ki0eh
06-15-2009, 10:25
B.S. does have a regular food market but 1/2 mile off trail (keep going past Anile's pizzeria).

Pootz
06-15-2009, 10:34
My next multiday hike on the AT will probably be the southern 75 miles or so of Pennsylvania. I have always heard that PA is easy for resupply and I would like to carry as little as possible and resupply as often as possible. How many good resupply points and restaurants will I find...if any.

several miles past Pine Grove Forest you can do a limited resupply at the store on route 34. Go to your right if you are headed north when you get to 34, the store if not very far. There is also a shuttle from the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon every day at 4:00 during thru hiker season.