PDA

View Full Version : Dehydration after affects?

ShelterLeopard
06-14-2009, 23:07
I was on a week long section hike of pennsylvania (which I ended about three days ago), and I spent my last day as a zero in Palmerton. I left the trail mostly because I need to re-evaluate my gear, but I also have kind of a weird stomache problem, and I have had it since my first night in Palmerton. I thought it was just my body readjusting to people food, but this stomache ache has persisted for the last five days- it feels a bit like there is a pocket of acid right below the center of my rib cage, and I was wondering what it could be from?

I was badly dehydrated the day I hiked into Palmerton- for about five miles, I had about five ounces of water (because the trail was relocated, and a stream I was counting on was no longer on the trail). But after I got some water from a day hiker before the descent, I was more or less okay. (Though before I got water, I was feeling like I was really in trouble- it was hot, sunny, and no shade because of the deforestation in the area.) But I didn't think that only half a day of dehydration could have any after affects, could it? Or is this just me, pining for the trail?

(PS- I would have posted this in the health section, but this seemed a better bet)

Reid
06-14-2009, 23:25
Had anything with alot of tomatoes or spicy food? Acid reflux is the first thing that came to my mind but who knows it could be anything from gas to a simple stomach bug. If it's really been five days that kind of makes it seem like it might be more than just gas or the stomach bug though. Hope you get better.

Reid
06-14-2009, 23:29
As for dehydration as you had asked I've always just become really tired and my bones and joints begin to ache and sometimes a headache.

fiddlehead
06-14-2009, 23:35
I would like to know a few more things before commenting: Did your muscles cramp up when you feel like you were dehydrated? Did you have terrible cramps for the next 12 hours? What color was your pee? any diarrhea?

Personally, I have gone through dehydration a few times (more so in my running than in my hiking long distance) and never have experienced any prolonged stomach ailments from it.

More like headaches, legs aching (many muscles aching), and severe cramping.
I have learned to take a magnesium tablet (300 mgs of mag.) or even two if really bad (like yesterday as i ran a full marathon in 100 deg heat)

Sounds to me (and i'm not expert on medical advice) that you have something else wrong with you besides your dehydration. (would help if we knew the answers to the questions at the top of this post)

For dehydration, you need to replace things you've lost. For me, living in the tropics, that means coconut water. (this stuff is so good, it's been used in the past for a substitute for blood plasma!)
For people in the states, i think it means GatorAde or Electrolite drinks. Did you try anything like that?

Good luck with your stomach. If it persists, i guess you'd need to seek professional help.

TIDE-HSV
06-14-2009, 23:36
Hate to bring up worse possibilities, but dehydration effects shouldn't hang on that long. IF it continues, both heart and gall bladder problems can masquerade themselves as digestive difficulties...

ShelterLeopard
06-14-2009, 23:40
Thanks all- from what you said, it isn't dehydration (though my urine was bright, and I mean neon bright, but also dark, if you know what I mean yellow). Now that I think about it, one of the other hikers did bring some pretty spicy salsa on my zero day, and I had a fair amount of it. But would acid reflux last this long?

Reid
06-15-2009, 00:08
Thanks all- from what you said, it isn't dehydration (though my urine was bright, and I mean neon bright, but also dark, if you know what I mean yellow). Now that I think about it, one of the other hikers did bring some pretty spicy salsa on my zero day, and I had a fair amount of it. But would acid reflux last this long?

Yea your probably just having trouble digesting it from the physical exertion slowing digestion or having an unbalanced diet when you had it. Check your bowel movements. I've got a girlfreind that has acid reflux really bad and if it's anything like that I feel for ya, they can be preety mean. Apple cider vinegar is supposed to help I've heard.