PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hike 2013

nighthawk156
06-14-2009, 23:18
OK, so I want to thru hike the AT after i graduate or my senior year of college. I know that isnt till 2013 but i am starting to plan now. How long does it take a normal person to go from Springer to Standing Indian?

I have already done Standing Indian to Fontana Dam, so i was thinking about doing Springer to Standing Indian either fall break or spring break, and then on the other break i will hike north from Fontana as far as i can go in a week and then in the summer ill start off where i left of and go to the finish.

Hope that made sense and do you think it would work?

buff_jeff
06-15-2009, 14:56
OK, so I want to thru hike the AT after i graduate or my senior year of college. I know that isnt till 2013 but i am starting to plan now. How long does it take a normal person to go from Springer to Standing Indian?

I have already done Standing Indian to Fontana Dam, so i was thinking about doing Springer to Standing Indian either fall break or spring break, and then on the other break i will hike north from Fontana as far as i can go in a week and then in the summer ill start off where i left of and go to the finish.

Hope that made sense and do you think it would work?

It took me just a little bit more than 6 days to get to Standing Indian. You can get to Hot Springs, NC in a week from Fontana Village.

Depending on how long your summer breaks are, you should be able to finish. You'll have about 1,900 miles left so assuming you have a 4 month break, you'd only have to average just under 16 miles/day.

nighthawk156
06-15-2009, 18:57
My summer break is about 3 1/2 months but my spring break i think is closer to 2 weeks. I think i could do it then while still in school.

buff_jeff
06-15-2009, 21:25
My summer break is about 3 1/2 months but my spring break i think is closer to 2 weeks. I think i could do it then while still in school.

Either way, you'll have plenty of time to finish by the end of college. You have 3 breaks between years, right, or do you have other commitments? Why not just take as much time as you need and finish up?

nighthawk156
06-15-2009, 21:37
Either way, you'll have plenty of time to finish by the end of college. You have 3 breaks between years, right, or do you have other commitments? Why not just take as much time as you need and finish up?

Well my parents really want me to be working over summer break to help pay for college and i would rather be hiking, so i think ill have to work some or most of the summer breaks. So my guess is ill have my senior year free-ish.

emerald
06-15-2009, 22:12
Your parents are wise and you should respect their wishes. If they are working to put you through college, you should do your part to assist insofar as you are able.

Through hiking is little more than a stunt and you'd enjoy the AT more as a section-hiker. Think adventure that lasts a lifetime as opposed to adventure of a lifetime.

Hiking it is a different experience to one who has helped maintain it. If you have time enough to hike, you might consider contributing some of it to a trail maintaining organization since many if not most hiking opportunities are created by volunteers.

stranger
06-17-2009, 05:51
It took me 5 days to reaching Standing Indian last year, but I started in good trail shape and from what I've seen it takes most people about a week to reach Hiawassee. Saying that, most people start the trail inexperienced, out of shape, with heavy packs - but there is no reason why you can't reach Standing Indian in 5-7 days if you want to.

nighthawk156
06-17-2009, 09:50
It took me 5 days to reaching Standing Indian last year, but I started in good trail shape and from what I've seen it takes most people about a week to reach Hiawassee. Saying that, most people start the trail inexperienced, out of shape, with heavy packs - but there is no reason why you can't reach Standing Indian in 5-7 days if you want to.

Thats what i wanted to hear. My 7day pack weight is 25 pounds and i plain and hiking a lot once i move up to NC. Thanks

Baba Fats
11-04-2009, 13:35
Well my parents really want me to be working over summer break to help pay for college and i would rather be hiking, so i think ill have to work some or most of the summer breaks. So my guess is ill have my senior year free-ish.

You could always grab a job during the school year to justify not working during your breaks. I'm picking up a job this spring and next fall/spring to quell my parents complaints so that I can hike it this upcoming summer break.