PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Debit Card Scam

Survivor Dave
06-15-2009, 09:11
Folks, I just want to alert you that if you have a PayPal Debit Card that there are folks out there in the process of reproducing fake cards. Somewhere in Utah I think.

The scammers will start making charges on these card until they are approved in the amount of .01, .12, .15 and so on. When they finally get an approval, they have Carte Blanche to your funds.

I found this out in time to go to an ATM and clear out my balance and re-order a new card.

***PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, check your balances daily with PayPal and any other cards you have.***

I was lucky and caught it this morning. They had been trying to do this since the beginning of June and an approved charge came through this morning for $0.15. There next move would have been for a larger amount and would have leached it until they drained it after these small approvals. I noticed before they did.
Although I am covered 100% by PayPal and Mastercard, it saved me a lot of hassle only to have to get a new Debit card and not have to go through more crap to get my funds back!

I did not intend this thread to be responded to and nothing more than informational, thanks.

CowHead
06-15-2009, 09:43
Those lousey mormons are at it again

Survivor Dave
06-15-2009, 09:52
This was the merchant/person that showed up on my account. Scumbag POS.

D1ROBIN V HANSEN TRUCK D1Rrcadia UT

Skyline
06-15-2009, 10:26
This may go beyond PayPal, which I have refused to deal with for many years because they are so hard to deal with.

A week ago I found out an ATC-branded affinity MasterCard (via Bank of America) I've had since 1998 was compromised. Like this scam, it started with a $1 charge to I-Tunes. Then came the big ticket items like $1300 for Dell Computers, $1400 for Best Buy, and $1350 for some company I never heard of named Lenova US. But it all started with that $1 charge that I assume was done as a test.

psyculman
06-15-2009, 16:33
Ditto, I tried to make a purchase thru PayPal, and, no success. In trying to work thru PayPal's process, (on-line)........linking purchases directly to my bank account, or giving them a permenant card link (which I would never do) I finally gave up. I called the company I wanted to online order from, and they informed me that indeed my ATM card was not good. I called the bank, and, the same thing, a small purchase, (I-tunes) and several big ones followed quickly. Fortunatly, the bank blocked everything. Is it my PC, PayPal, or something else? I'm not sure. May not be PayPal at all.

Skyline
06-15-2009, 16:55
Ditto, I tried to make a purchase thru PayPal, and, no success. In trying to work thru PayPal's process, (on-line)........linking purchases directly to my bank account, or giving them a permenant card link (which I would never do) I finally gave up. I called the company I wanted to online order from, and they informed me that indeed my ATM card was not good. I called the bank, and, the same thing, a small purchase, (I-tunes) and several big ones followed quickly. Fortunatly, the bank blocked everything. Is it my PC, PayPal, or something else? I'm not sure. May not be PayPal at all.

I have no reason to believe PayPal was involved in the scam that involved my MasterCard last week.

I just think PayPal is way too difficult to deal with, so on general principal I have tried and tried to avoid dealing with them. However, they still claim me as one of their own :eek:--because anytime I enter credit card info on a website where I could either enter a credit card or go through PayPal, a message comes back and says something like, "You already have a PayPal account, wouldn't you rather use PayPal?"

I've tried umpteen times to not have a PayPal account. They don't listen well.

Foyt20
06-15-2009, 18:52
http://i41.tinypic.com/er9y0x.jpg

To be on topic, watch out out there. The internet is a jungle

atraildreamer
06-15-2009, 20:56
I kept getting emails, supposedly from PayPal, asking me to update my credit card, bank, address, etc. info on a realistic looking form that popped up when the email was opened.

Being a suspicious SOB,:-? I contacted Ebay, who originally set up PayPal, who kindly informed that the email was BOGUS!
They directed me to the legitimate PayPal security site :welcomewho had me copy over the bogus email to their security people. I did this 3 times, apparently this stinker was difficult to track down, but they apparently got him, as no more bogus inquiries were received. :clap

If you should get something similar, go to the legitimate PayPal site and contact them. Don't give out confidential info if you have not properly logged into the LEGITIMATE PayPal site! Question any other supposed unsolicited PayPal inquiries! :confused:

papa john
06-16-2009, 07:43
Ebay did not set up PayPal. PayPal was a separate entity until Ebay bought PayPal a few years ago.

saimyoji
06-16-2009, 07:45
cold hard cash is the only way to be safe. and store it all in your mattress...can't trust banks now either.

papa john
06-16-2009, 07:59
LOL...not for some...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article6469706.ece

shelterbuilder
06-16-2009, 22:11
We got hit with something just as frustrating about a month ago: a bogus "Ebay e-mail" that apparently had a trojan imbedded in it. Whe my wife opened the e-mail, that was it!!! Our computer went down after she turned it off. (No, she didn't go to the "linked site" that was asking for more info.)

We didn't notice any unauthorized activity, but I guess we'll have to pay attention from now on.

atraildreamer
06-17-2009, 15:20
Ebay did not set up PayPal. PayPal was a separate entity until Ebay bought PayPal a few years ago.

However they came together, it is in their best interests to protect their customers. I have accounts with both of them and never had a problem with either one. They look out for each other and each other's customers, in my experience and seem to be pretty agressive in going after the perp's who are trying to cheat their customers. :)

Plodderman
06-17-2009, 15:23
Cash on the barrel head