PDA

View Full Version : What will J.Tarlin and L.Wolfe donate???

MedicineMan
07-02-2004, 03:30
Was just reading about the AT Museum at the Carolina Mtn Club site and read that artifacts from Emma Gatewood and Earl Shaffer have been aquired and wondered if L.Wolf, Seiko, and J. Tarlin had been contacted about such, in the same vane I'm wondering if you have to be dead to have artifacts worth preserving. Regardless, if they ask you for something L.Wolfe or J.Tarlin what would you give?

Cant wait to see the anwers!

Pencil Pusher
07-02-2004, 04:52
So I see Jack is real and has history, but this LW dude is an internet punk and I'm not seeing a history there. So I'd be interested too, MM.

Jaybird
07-02-2004, 06:59
where is the museum located?

Lone Wolf
07-02-2004, 07:27
Sure MM, I have lots of stuff from 17 years on the AT. Pencil Pushy obviously has 0 to donate.Troll.

pokohiker
07-02-2004, 09:05
This kind of CRAP is a real turn off to us new hikers. Lets talk about hiking and keep the cheap shots to yourself.

Thanks'
Dave

Lone Wolf
07-02-2004, 09:07
Who are you referring to?

pokohiker
07-02-2004, 09:11
Pencil Pusher and many others through out this site who take shots at one another.

pokohiker
07-02-2004, 09:18
This is the best site I have found and really enjoy it EXCEPT for the personal attacks. I come here to be informed ( 2005 thru hiker ) and enjoy the stories of past hikes. So please, if you must, keep it private.

Thanks again,
Dave

Lone Wolf
07-02-2004, 10:55
Would these donations be permanent or kinda on a loan basis? While blue-blazing over Sugarloaf Mtn. in Maine some years back I kicked the corner of a piece of metal stick out of the ground. I dug it out and it turned out to be an old 12"by14" AT sign.

APPALACHIAN
TRAIL
A FOOT TRAIL RUNNING
FROM
MAINE TO GEORGIA
for information write to
Appalachian Trail Conference
Washington D.C.

Also have a couple of "Philosopher's Guides" from the mid-80s.

Frosty
07-02-2004, 11:16
Was just reading about the AT Museum at the Carolina Mtn Club site and read that artifacts from Emma Gatewood and Earl Shaffer have been aquired and wondered if L.Wolf, Seiko, and J. Tarlin had been contacted about such, in the same vane I'm wondering if you have to be dead to have artifacts worth preserving. Regardless, if they ask you for something L.Wolfe or J.Tarlin what would you give?

Cant wait to see the anwers!Do you have a contact for the museum?

I have an old AT Guide to NH and VT (second editon, 1968). Foldout maps are interesting, especially to see different shelters and where the trail has been moved.)

The ATC address is Harpers Ferry (in 1968) so LWolf's trail sign must be older than that.

Mags
07-02-2004, 12:10
For those who want contact info about the museum, they do have a web site:

http://www.atmuseum.org/

If you want to donate items go to:
http://www.atmuseum.org/itemdonation.htm

Snail Mail:
ALDHA
10 Benning St., PMB 224
West Lebanon, N.H. 03784
ATTN: Museum

Hope that helps!

Pencil Pusher
07-02-2004, 16:00
I'm still waiting for a history. Lay that out on the table. You talk smack, but you don't back it up.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2004, 16:19
Go away kid.

Pencil Pusher
07-02-2004, 16:21
Do what you do best, talk smack and then sidestep the question.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2004, 16:23
Love and kisses cupcake. :)

Pencil Pusher
07-02-2004, 16:29
Yup, you're number one.

slowroller
07-02-2004, 18:13
Pencil Pusher says

but this LW dude is an internet punk

Hmmm.. :-? I think we see who the internet punk is..........

Jester2000
07-02-2004, 18:38
I think Baltimore Jack should donate a pair of pantyhose, or that ratty white blaze T-shirt with the sleeves cut off. Or Emma's phone number. As for Lone Wolf, I'm sure he could just reach into that beard and pull out SOMETHING worth saving.

As for anyone questioning LW's trail cred, I think that's kind of funny. Funny in a kind of "it's hard to believe someone could be that ill-informed AND that vocal about it" way.

Unless, of course, you're actually his next door neighbor just having fun, in which case I'M the uninformed one.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2004, 18:42
I really am trying to be nice with the trolls. :)

Pencil Pusher
07-02-2004, 19:01
Keep on dancing.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2004, 19:20
Huh? Y'all hear somethin? :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
07-02-2004, 20:13
1. I haven't been approached by the museum folks for a donation of any sort, nor do I expect to be. And this is as it should be.
2. I can't imagine I have anything to donate that they'd be interested in having, other than perhaps some of my photographs, which of course, they'd be welcome to.
3. I think the Museum project is a worthy one that deserves our support, and I urge anyone who's interested in helping or participating in the project to contact Larry or ALDHA (www.aldha.org)

The Old Fhart
07-02-2004, 20:19
Frosty:"I have an old AT Guide to NH and VT (second editon, 1968). Foldout maps are interesting, especially to see different shelters and where the trail has been moved.)

The ATC address is Harpers Ferry (in 1968) so LWolf's trail sign must be older than that.'

Of some of the A.T. guidebooks I have, the 1936 and 1938 Maine A.T. guidebooks list the ATC address as 901 Union Trust Building, Washington, D.C.. The 1959 New England guide list 1916 Sunderland Place, N.W., Wash, D.C.; one 1969 Katahdin section guide lists 1718 N St., N.W., Wash, D.C. yet another 1969 Katahdin guide lists P.O. Box 236, Harpers Ferry.

I suspect that until the ATC had a permanant address that club members used their home addresses for contact and the member in charge of guidebook publication kept changing. Some of the individual clubs like NY-NJ, Potomac, etc., published the guides for their section of the A.T. as well. Only recently has there been consistancy in the mapping and guidebooks.

It is interesting to read these old guides to see how much the trail has changed. They are quite rare but the old guides do give an interesting historical perspective on the evolution of the A.T. I'm also sure that Jack, L. Wolf, Rusty, and many others would have stories and artifacts to add to the museum

Hikerhead
07-02-2004, 20:21
BJ...they would do flips over your collection of hiking shirts.

"Bill B. is a candy arse" is my favorite. Don't throw those away.

MedicineMan
07-02-2004, 23:30
I for one would love to see a pic of that old sign you found...its very eery in a very good way to discover an old sign on the trail....wonder if you could post one of it?

Old Fhart, I would love to see a moving computer graphic of the trail in its first intent and progress to the current form. I carried a small GPS on the last hike and then uploaded it to the computer and cross-matched it with my current CD-rom and found the obvious re-routes since that CD was made..its all good curiosity dont you think?

Jack,L.Wolfe...you both will be in the museum and you both deserve to be, along with many others. I will do what I can do to see that you are recognized. I hate it when I start a thread and some poster tries to poison it. I know its just hiking, just a walk in the woods. but at the same time I know its is something far more than that to do what you guys have done. Surely there will be a hall in the museum where pictures of great trail advocates will be, I'll point out your faces to my daughters someday and say I had a beer with them!

Lone Wolf
07-02-2004, 23:35
I actually have a big box full of stuff that would be cool for the museum. I have a friend down the street with a digital camera who can take a shot of the sign and post it on here. It is way cool.

SavageLlama
07-02-2004, 23:45
I actually have a big box full of stuff that would be cool for the museum. I have a friend down the street with a digital camera who can take a shot of the sign and post it on here. It is way cool.You don't see many of those great old signs anymore. The Long Trail still has a few, but the old AT ones are hard to find. So yeah, post a shot of it.

MedicineMan
07-02-2004, 23:48
Thought about this last time I was at a visitor's center at one of our National Parks...most parks have a video of the park that you can sit and watch. Most are aerial view of the park.....as a section hiker we often drive around the section we are to hike, planting caches, looking for a place to leave a vehicle, etc....doing so we most times get a perspective of the trail that maybe thru-hikers and more importantly average joe-nonhiking visitors to the museum dont get.
So what I would like to see is a small movie/video say 15-20minutes of the trail from a Cessna's point of view, going of course from Springer to Mt. K. The plane could give a perspective that few get of the trail....not too long ago (last month maybe) we did the hike with Spy Rock on it and I was trying in my mind to picture 10,000 union soldiers coming through the valley, wouldnt it be cool to see the Valley of Virginia and Shanandoah Valley with that big ridge diving them.....
I think you get the eyedeal.
MedicineMan

Lone Wolf
07-02-2004, 23:49
I also have one of those small triangular AT signs made of heavy galvanized steel given to me by Jean Cashin at the ATC in 1986.

MedicineMan
07-02-2004, 23:51
This might not be a 'hands on museum' but if a little could be put in the museum I think it would be interesting for the non-hiker or even hiker who has never built trail to get an opportunity to swing a maddock at a sidehill or drag a fire rake over some duff....we learned for 2 days at the Cumberland Trail Big Dig that trails dont just happen, that some serious sweat equity has been put into the ground and stone, and that trails will quickly dissapear if not for the efforts of many souls.

slowroller
07-03-2004, 00:02
Mabe we could have an online AT museum with pictures. That would be the only way some of us would ever get to see some of this great stuff.......

MedicineMan
07-03-2004, 00:05
many of the big museums of the big world have a virtual presence for those housebound,handicapped,etc. so your idea has great merit.