PDA

View Full Version : how early is too early?

johnny quest
07-02-2004, 10:38
i solicit everyone's opinion on this one: how early is too early to start a nobo? if you dont mind winter hiking and low mileage in the beginning is there any reason not to leave in january or even earlier?

Bear Magnet
07-02-2004, 14:24
i solicit everyone's opinion on this one: how early is too early to start a nobo? if you dont mind winter hiking and low mileage in the beginning is there any reason not to leave in january or even earlier?
On the pro side, you could do a nobo in solitude, you get the challenge of hiking in more adverse weather conditions, and you would get to see the northern states in spring, which many thru-hikers would not be able to do.

On the con side, some hiking related business might not be open yet, you would need to carry heaver sleeping bags and other equipment, you have the challenge of hiking in more adverse weather conditions, you need to be o.k. with only yourself for long periods of time, you miss out on "walking with spring."

Bear Magnet
Jonathan Amato

johnny quest
07-02-2004, 14:30
great points! to paraphrase bob seiger.

ive done a bit of cold weather "hiking" and actually do enjoy it. but im very interested in the thought that the hostels and campgrounds and stores would not be open. anyone have more info on that? that is a very important point!!!

smokymtnsteve
07-02-2004, 14:35
Mtn x-ings in neels gap should be open.

Gary Poteat and bluebery patch not open but call ahead he may be home

Rainbow springs opens early march

NOC year round

fontana resort and PO year round

g-burg ..year round

johnny quest
07-02-2004, 14:47
ok, so...he said, picking their brains...what is the earliest you would leave so that resupply was not an issue?

smokymtnsteve
07-02-2004, 14:55
re-supply will not be an issue any time

..first resupply at mtn xings

then access to helen GA

Hiawasee, ga..(if gary is not home)

into franklin,NC

NOC will be open

po at fontana

g'burg year round

check with Standing bear Farm just north of smokies (curtis and marie live there)

hot springs year round

Uncle johhny's in erwin is year round

johnny quest
07-02-2004, 14:58
ok, then im wondering why noone does this....leave in jan or feb? or do they and i just dont hear about it?

smokymtnsteve
07-02-2004, 15:03
some do ..but the weather can be rough... daylight is very short ,,nights are long.

on the plus side you will have good access to shelter space..and no crowds....also good firewood supply as crowds have not been though.

johnny quest
07-02-2004, 15:10
but that sounds exciting. i love the "thrill" of what i guess you could call adventure camping...where a little more skill and care is required. and im liking the idea of having the shelter sites to myself. seems if i take it easy in the beginning and go for small miles then i can always turn on the miles and jump in the flow of the later hikers and get my social needs filled. am i alone in thinking this is a neat idea?

smokymtnsteve
07-02-2004, 15:12
Make Sure You Have Some Extra $$$ In Your Budget To Cover Multiple Days In Town Waiting On Rough Weather.

johnny quest
07-02-2004, 15:19
that i will have bad enough weather i will have to come down?

smokymtnsteve
07-02-2004, 15:24
it is Possible..to have some below zero and heavy snow or very wet ,,you may need or want to wait out some of the worse weather in town.

you would need to be prepared for at least zero degree weather. and have a least two days extra food with you..ice storms or worse thatn snow and cn shut you down. and access to or out of town town could be slower.

are you planning to go solo?

johnny quest
07-02-2004, 15:47
oh your teasing me now!!! i love that stuff! i used to volunteer for survival and pow schools!!!! i remember the blizzard we got trapped in up in pickle meadows...good times!!!! yeah, im looking at a solo trip. i wouldnt mind loosely going with someone...at the same time. but i dont want to be tied down...

could be that this could be a mini trip experience. im looking at it this way:
start early, get the solitude, get the winter camping, the solitude, the empty shelters, the solitude, and go slow.
then as spring comes and the other nobos show up i jump into the pack, switching to lighter gear and now ready for some trail society. what think you?

smokymtnsteve
07-02-2004, 15:51
think you might get to Hot Springs and spend a week a Elmer's waiting for some more folks to show up..or spend some time with Bob Peoples at KINCORA..waiting for the pack

johnny quest
07-02-2004, 15:52
that doesnt sound like a bad thing does it? maybe i could prearrange to do that and even work for my keep there. i dont know. being a wannnabe i dont know. but i think it is interesting.

smokymtnsteve
07-02-2004, 15:55
very possible...

JimSproul
07-02-2004, 16:00
Winter hiking is one thing. Getting through the Presidential's in say April or May can be very tough. The Whites can be dangerous beyond what their altitude would lead you to believe.

johnny quest
07-02-2004, 16:07
im too green about the at to know what that implies. break it down for me. if i hiked the first x miles in jan or feb slow, then dragged a foot or hung out for a while at a friendly place, then jumped into the regular mix of hikers, what would you say is the farthest north you would want to go early?

Pencil Pusher
07-02-2004, 16:17
I don't understand, Johnny. You've said you don't mind the tough conditions and winter camping, and that the resupply points are critical. Well they've said the resupply points are all there, so why are you still asking about this?

johnny quest
07-02-2004, 16:36
thats the point! no, the new fella was making the point and i guess i was just restating my question for him. sure, i know he already read the thread but im not thinking.

SavageLlama
07-02-2004, 16:55
The nights are definitely long in January.

For some flavor on winter thru-hiking I recommend two good trail journals from hikers that started from Springer Mtn around Jan 1, 2003 (they eventually met up):

Bono:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=25535

Rocket:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=25217

johnny quest
07-02-2004, 17:13
outstanding! i will read them tonight! thank you