PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mountain and the approach trail

ShelterLeopard
06-15-2009, 23:50
I'm doing a NoBo next year (starting very early March), and I was wondering, what is Springer like? Is it anything like the big deal that Katadin is? (You know, no hiking with a full pack, sign in at the Ranger station, mountain closed on account of rain, etc...) And what about the approach trail? Why do a lot of people not do the approach trail? Is it thru hike sacrilige, not to?

ChinMusic
06-16-2009, 00:09
Approach Trail is completely up to the hiker, no big deal one way or the other. I, personally, would hike the Approach Trail on a thru and I've hiked the Approach Trail several times already. But that's just me.

Springer is just a minor climb and not unlike the countless other mountains you will find on the AT, NOTHING like K. My wife has a bad leg and cannot backpack. She had no trouble whatsoever hiking up Springer.

bloodmountainman
06-16-2009, 07:17
Springer Mt. is nothing special. It is not the tallest or even the prettiest Mt. in Ga. It is just a hill with a plaque on it , that points out the Southern Terminus of the trail.
The Apporach Trail is a more convient place to start. It begins out of Amicalola State Park and leads to the summit of Springer. You can get to Springer from a very long ride on a Forest Service road. From the parking area on Forest Service Rd. 42 you climb Springer to begin and then back-track back down and pass the parking area again and begin your hike NOBO. The trail should begin at Amicalola Park, just as it ends at Baxter Park.

stranger
06-16-2009, 07:27
I like Springer Mountain, granted it's nothing like Katahdin, but who cares about that. It's the southern terminus, and that's significant enough for me.

I've been to Springer 3 times and never hiked the approach trail. I haven't hiked the approach trail because it's just as easy to get a ride to USFS 42 at Big Stamp Gap just 1 mile north of the southern terminus. Even if you don't want to hike south on the AT, you can go further along the road and hike the Benton MacKaye Trail back to Springer, although it's slightly longer at 1.6 miles I recall.

The hike from USFS 42 to Springer only takes about 25 minutes and it's relatively easy, while the trip from Amicalola is almost 9 miles and most of that is uphill.

Do whatever you want to do... To each their own

bigcranky
06-16-2009, 07:41
I liked the Approach Trail. No, you don't *have to* do it, but it's a nice way to start a thru- or section-hike. Walking through the stone arch and climbing the falls makes for a good start.

Hint: get someone to drive your pack to the top of the falls. Seriously.

MadAussieInLondon
06-16-2009, 08:40
I remember the approach trail being nice and all then just going up vertical like. It was rough (hey I had 70lbs and a bottle of whisky in my pack!)

Hikers this year told me they have re routed the approach trail so its no longer ass kicker, now its a mild set of steps or something

papa john
06-16-2009, 08:57
Nah, they put in a moving sidewalk that takes you from the welcome center all the way to Springer. Just hop on and ride. There's even a snack bar with hot dogs and beer along with hot pretzels next to the shelter there now. They even have a valet service that will setup your camp, cook your food and wash your feet. In the morning, there is a breakfast bar for you to enjoy before you start out on your hike. The valet will even pack your pack for you and help you put it on in the morning.

Enjoy!

Monkeyboy
06-16-2009, 09:18
In Georgia, what's going to kick your butt is Sassafras Mnt and Justis Mnt back to back.

They are both very steep billygoat trails with no switchbacks. Not very high elevation changes, but the lack of switchbacks is a killer. Justis Creek is a welcome sight to soak your tired feet in.

NCYankee
06-16-2009, 13:51
In Georgia, what's going to kick your butt is Sassafras Mnt and Justis Mnt back to back.

They are both very steep billygoat trails with no switchbacks. Not very high elevation changes, but the lack of switchbacks is a killer. Justis Creek is a welcome sight to soak your tired feet in.

I didn't find Sassafras to be that bad... in fact I found the climb up Hawk on Day 1 to be much worse.

What hurts about GA are the unending switchbacks coming down to Hogpen. It is a short 400' climb or something but it is unending and killed everyone we were around.

I still have nightmares about that climb.

Monkeyboy
06-16-2009, 13:53
Sassafras by itself isn't the issue, it's the fact that it's immediately followed by more of the same with Justis.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2009, 13:55
Sassafras by itself isn't the issue, it's the fact that it's immediately followed by more of the same with Justis.

still ain't tough at all

CowHead
06-16-2009, 13:57
Nah, they put in a moving sidewalk that takes you from the welcome center all the way to Springer. Just hop on and ride. There's even a snack bar with hot dogs and beer along with hot pretzels next to the shelter there now. They even have a valet service that will setup your camp, cook your food and wash your feet. In the morning, there is a breakfast bar for you to enjoy before you start out on your hike. The valet will even pack your pack for you and help you put it on in the morning.

Enjoy!

LMAO :banana

Monkeyboy
06-16-2009, 13:57
Just hate trails with little to no switchbacks.

Same reason I didn't like the southern approach to Albert Mnt.

Ox97GaMe
06-16-2009, 13:59
Well.. the good news is that Justus Mtn is in the process of getting a Relo. More switchbacks and an easier decent into Justus creek. Not sure when that will be open, but the GATC has been working on the relo now for almost 3 years. I would imagine it will probably be open in time for next year's thru hiker season.

jersey joe
06-16-2009, 14:52
Springer is nowhere near as grand a mountain as Katahdin. I took the approach trail because after reading "A Walk in the Woods" it seemed like the "right" way to start a thru hike. Plus it was a practical place to start since my brother dropped me off. I weighed my pack at the park and said goodbye as I walked through the archway.

MattBuck30
06-16-2009, 14:57
The approach trail is a tougher hike than Springer Mt.

Plodderman
06-16-2009, 16:20
Hiking the approach trail in August this year and going on to Fontana. Had to postpone it from May because of knee surgery but going to a have a good time and probably burn up.

10-K
06-17-2009, 14:04
I skipped the approach trail and backtracked to the southern terminus via FS 42.

If/when I finish hiking the entire trail I have a feeling that my OCDish nature will require me to go back and hike the approach trail to cap it all off.