PDA

View Full Version : Trails.com

Grimace
07-02-2004, 11:22
Has anyone subscribed to this website to get access to the trails in their database? Is the information good? helpful? worth the money?

I'm heading out to Montana at the the end of July and have a couple days to hit up the Bitterroot Wilderness before heading up to Glacier NP. Don't really want to buy a book that I'll use once for 2 days of hiking.

Frosty
07-02-2004, 11:37
Has anyone subscribed to this website to get access to the trails in their database? Is the information good? helpful? worth the money?

I'm heading out to Montana at the the end of July and have a couple days to hit up the Bitterroot Wilderness before heading up to Glacier NP. Don't really want to buy a book that I'll use once for 2 days of hiking.No information about trails.com, but I used to travel for business all over the country and tried to combine hiking whenever possible. Even for a weekend, I found a guide book to be an excellent purchase. Only having a couple days (as you do), it was important for me to get a feel for what was available and what I wanted to do. The $20 spent, less than a tank of gas, enabled me to find the trail I wanted to hike, and to help with local information.

SavageLlama
07-02-2004, 14:56
Don't really want to buy a book that I'll use once for 2 days of hiking.
While I think the price tag for a guide book is worth it for 2 days of great hiking, you can always do the cheap-ass thing and go to the book shop and copy down the info. But I've never done that before.:D

walkon
07-02-2004, 16:17
while in the bitteroots i strongly recommend you check out Blodgett Canyon. the trailhead is in Hamilton, MT which is about 40 minutes south of Missoula. also very awesome is trapper peak, near Darby, MT. Darby is 25 minutes south of Hamilton. very awesome peak.
I am a member of trails.com and find their maps(called ebooks) to be very informative. they include profile and topo maps along with detailed trail descriptions. both Trapper Peak and Blodgett Canyon are listed on Trails.com as well as many other bitteroot destinations.
walkon

walkon
07-02-2004, 16:19
oh, yeah, have a blast in Montana!! Its my favorite state (so far).
walkon

Grimace
07-12-2004, 12:25
for the info Walk On. I went ahead and bit the bullet and registered. Haven't downloaded a trail yet bit I'll do so before we head out. Trapper Peak and BLodgett Canyon will go on the list. Thanks again