PDA

View Full Version : Jan. 1st start

Ridge Rat
06-16-2009, 08:42
I am planning on possibly doing a jan 1st start. Hike to DWG and hop off the trail work all summer. Then flip flop in August to sobo to DWG. How doable is this? Any special gear I would need? (ie. ice axe, crampons) Has anyone attempted a jan 1st nobo and dealt with the weather in the smokies in late jan early feb? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2009, 08:46
lots start on jan. 1. no crampons or ice axes needed

stranger
06-16-2009, 09:08
I will respectfully disagree with Lone Wolf but only on the crampons part, instep crampons might prove useful in some capacity. However, good snowshoes might prove to be useful.

max patch
06-16-2009, 09:26
Bring lots of money for the extra hostel and hotel stays you'll be taking.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2009, 09:28
I will respectfully disagree with Lone Wolf but only on the crampons part, instep crampons might prove useful in some capacity. However, good snowshoes might prove to be useful.

you don't need snowshoes or crampons in the southern appalachians

The Solemates
06-16-2009, 09:44
you don't need snowshoes or crampons in the southern appalachians

agree, wholeheartedly.

Doctari
06-17-2009, 10:52
Last year "Privy Monster" Started on Jan 1, he wanted the time to start slowly, doing 5 mile days for the first few weeks: "I wanted to avoid injury caused by going too fast / pushing too hard."
He only had one real bad day regarding the weather, & that was only about noon to midnight. He happened to be at a large public (concrete block, near a road) privy so spent the night there.

Last I saw him he was hiking strongly away from the Old Orchard shelter in VA, & having a great time!

Jack Tarlin
06-17-2009, 10:59
Geez, I'd rather save my money FIRST, and then hike. This way I could start later in the year when the weather is better; I wouldn't have to take time off in the middle of my trip; I wouldn't have to come back and hike til Christmas either. Oh, and I don't care if it's once or ten times......people that start later in the season generally don't find themselves forced to seek shelter in outhouses.

But to each their own.

Ridge Rat
06-17-2009, 11:42
Geez, I'd rather save my money FIRST, and then hike. This way I could start later in the year when the weather is better; I wouldn't have to take time off in the middle of my trip; I wouldn't have to come back and hike til Christmas either. Oh, and I don't care if it's once or ten times......people that start later in the season generally don't find themselves forced to seek shelter in outhouses.

But to each their own.

Well, with my work situation (outdoor Ed) I tend to get work in the summer and laid off in the winters. Parents tend to not like to send their kids out in blizzard conditions. Also I want to avoid the crowds and like I said cant bail in june or july to start a sobo. I appreciate your views on it Jack, but I have to do what I have to do.

Red Hat
06-17-2009, 16:46
You might email Kayak Karl on here. He started Jan 1 and got off in VA for health reasons. He's starting back in August at Katahdin. He can give you details about hiking in Jan/Feb.

John B
06-17-2009, 16:55
Check out "Red Dane" on Trailjournals.com She did a very early start and never blinked. One of the best journals I've ever read -- she never had a bad day, always upbeat.

kayak karl
06-17-2009, 18:59
yep, instep crampons

kayak karl
06-17-2009, 19:06
bring Lots Of Money For The Extra Hostel And Hotel Stays You'll Be Taking.why?...........

kayak karl
06-17-2009, 19:57
Trek finished NOBO 6/06/09 this year. Jan 1st. Start

fiddlehead
06-17-2009, 20:09
At the least, i would carry pan head sheet metal screws and predrill your running shoes (or boot soles) to accept them.
They work Great in a pinch when icy on rocks etc.

ChinMusic
06-17-2009, 20:09
why?...........
I think many would want to pull off the trail during severe weather, which is more common in Jan/Feb.

kayak karl
06-17-2009, 20:25
I think many would want to pull off the trail during severe weather, which is more common in Jan/Feb.
if you hike in jan and feb STICK IT OUT. never understood the stupid posts about waiting out snow in towns:confused:. short days though is a money issue. more food if you are only doing 10 mile days due to snow.

kayak karl
06-17-2009, 20:34
At the least, i would carry pan head sheet metal screws and predrill your running shoes (or boot soles) to accept them.
They work Great in a pinch when icy on rocks etc.
that is a good idea. its the 1/4 mile sheets of ice that are bad. Roan Mt was ALL ice.

ChinMusic
06-17-2009, 20:59
if you hike in jan and feb STICK IT OUT. never understood the stupid posts about waiting out snow in towns:confused:. short days though is a money issue. more food if you are only doing 10 mile days due to snow.
I'm sure that severe weather wouldn't be a deal-breaker to some. I'm just as sure that that does not apply to all.

I could see starting in Jan. I have sectioned hiked south of Damascus the first week of Jan. But if the weather became too bitter I certainly would hole-up.....in a motel.

Panzer1
06-17-2009, 22:01
If you're going to start on Jan 1, there is always a party somewhere at the top of springer.

Panzer

kayak karl
06-17-2009, 22:06
If you're going to start on Jan 1, there is always a party somewhere at the top of springer.

Panzer
your right . ill be there 1/1/10:D

iceberg11
06-17-2009, 22:42
I started Dec 1st and had no need for crampons. They would have been handy before and after Clingmans. No severe weather but the cold weather can be aggravating if you have no fat on your bones. I had to stop in Gatlinburg so I didnt experience Jan.

Ridge Rat
06-17-2009, 23:53

Panzer

Yeah, that was the plan. Figured I would celebrate new years on springer (easier to catch a hitch) and sign out onto the trail nobo at 12:01 or something like that. Stay at hawk mt. or 3 forks on night 1 and trek onward from there.

Kayak Karl. would you mind if I picked your mind about a few things? I think you were in the same frame of mind as myself about winter hiking.

kayak karl
06-18-2009, 19:45
Kayak Karl. would you mind if I picked your mind about a few things? I think you were in the same frame of mind as myself about winter hiking.
feel free, but you won't find much there:D
http://www.top20fun.com/images/pictures/0273.jpg