PDA

View Full Version : Ziploc Omletes

FritztheCat
06-16-2009, 13:30
A co-worker sent this to me today. I thought it was a good idea and will have to give it a test run. I'm thinking this may be do-able on the trail, say the following morning after leaving a town?

ZIPLOC OMELET
Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc. and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bag into rolling, boiling water for 13 - 15 minutes.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Imagine having these ready the night before, and putting the bag in boiling water while you get ready. And in 15 minutes, you've got a nice omelette for a quick breakfast!!!

Pootz
06-16-2009, 13:30
I tried this at home and it worked great.

Allen1901
06-16-2009, 14:31
Did You have to oil the bag?

I'm going to try this tonight.

Thanks & Cheers!

TD55
06-16-2009, 14:38
How the heck did I not know about this? Thanks.

Pootz
06-16-2009, 15:33
No oil needed. Just mix all of your ingredients, seal the bad and put in boiling water. Good luck.

bruchko
06-16-2009, 15:46
Ive done this with powdered eggs. Boiling time is only 4-5 minutes. 13-15 just sounds way too long... Happy trails

skinewmexico
06-16-2009, 17:22
Geez guys..........this is an old, but great, Cub Scout cooking trick. Next someone will tell me you can seal food in a foil pouch, and cook it by the fire.:)

FritztheCat
06-16-2009, 19:26
Foil pouch? :D

Reid
06-16-2009, 19:30
Geez guys..........this is an old, but great, Cub Scout cooking trick. Next someone will tell me you can seal food in a foil pouch, and cook it by the fire.:)

Best way to have a baked potatoe!

MintakaCat
06-16-2009, 19:33
13-15 just sounds way too long.

Not really, hard boiled eggs are normally cooked in boiling water for 12 minutes or so.

Kanati
06-16-2009, 19:59
Best way to have a baked potatoe!

I can't believe anyone from the south can't spell tater. LOL :banana

Hikes in Rain
06-16-2009, 20:59
Works pretty well. Just be sure you have plenty of water. Otherwise, the plastic sticks to the side of the pot, melts, is hard to scrape off the pot, and water gets in the bag to waterlog the omelet.

bikebum1975
06-17-2009, 01:34
Hey did a check on this you guys may want to rethink using them to cook in doesn't sound to healthy to me I'll stick with a frying pan neat idea though.

http://www.quazen.com/Recreation/Outdoors/Toxic-Ziploc-Omelet-Procedure.87000

Maddog
06-17-2009, 03:47
thats good to know! :(

Heater
06-17-2009, 03:53
Boiling ziplocks. :eek:

I am going to report this to the people at PETZL. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif

(http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif)

LaurieAnn
06-17-2009, 07:10
My friend works for S.C. Johnson here in town and he's an avid outdoorsman. I asked him about cooking in the bags and he said that rehydrating in a freezer bag isn't a big deal to him but that he'd never cook in them as it softens the plastic which could potentially cause leaching of chemicals.

When did we all get so lazy that we can't wash a simple pan? :D

TD55
06-17-2009, 09:05
Don't think it's about lazy. Think it's a UL thing. Don't mind washing a pan, carrying one is a different story.
So, how and where do you get bags that are safe to cook in?

LaurieAnn
06-17-2009, 09:09
Don't think it's about lazy. Think it's a UL thing. Don't mind washing a pan, carrying one is a different story.
So, how and where do you get bags that are safe to cook in?

Well what are you boiling the water in? You have to put the freezer bag in boiling water to cook in it. You are already carrying a pot for that... so I don't see how cooking the omelette in a freezer bag makes it any more UL.

jrnj5k
06-17-2009, 09:37
Well what are you boiling the water in? You have to put the freezer bag in boiling water to cook in it. You are already carrying a pot for that... so I don't see how cooking the omelette in a freezer bag makes it any more UL.

a pot for boiling water in many cases is made out of very light aluminum or titanium. They weigh very little, only a few ounces. So dropping a ziploc freezer bag into them with eggs is very lightweight. much more so than bringing a pan which would only add to the weight by several ounces.

fredmugs
06-17-2009, 10:00
We did this when he hiked in Colorado. One guy actually hiked in a dozen fresh eggs. Just like the originator said - put two eggs and whatever you want in the baggie and boil. Don't forget the salsa!

TD55
06-17-2009, 10:35
You commented that maybe we were lazy about washing a pan. I 'm just saying maybe you could look at this way to may an omlett without the need of a pan and use your regular pot. So, this is a way to make an omlett and not have to carry a special pan. But if the normal bag becomes toxic when boiled in water, well, who wants that? I know there are bags designed to be cooked in because you can get all kinds of boil in the bag frozen foods. I'm not a plastic bag expert. My question is, how and where can a person get plastic bags to use in this cooking method that is safe.

Allen1901
06-17-2009, 11:37
I tried this last night. I used 3 medium eggs, diced up beef jerky, chedder cheese, and salsa. They were pretty good. Cooking time was about 10 min.

Cheers!

LaurieAnn
06-17-2009, 12:32
You commented that maybe we were lazy about washing a pan. I 'm just saying maybe you could look at this way to may an omlett without the need of a pan and use your regular pot. So, this is a way to make an omlett and not have to carry a special pan. But if the normal bag becomes toxic when boiled in water, well, who wants that? I know there are bags designed to be cooked in because you can get all kinds of boil in the bag frozen foods. I'm not a plastic bag expert. My question is, how and where can a person get plastic bags to use in this cooking method that is safe.

Ah but I was using the word pan and pot in general terms (cooking vessel)... I never said anything about a "special pan" so you are putting words in my mouth. Anyway my comment about it not being any lighter still stands as you need something to boil the water in... and I was only teasing about the lazy bit anyway (note the happy face in my original post).

PackIt Gourmet has bags suitable for this and there are some vac pack bags that are good for boiling in.

Kerosene
06-17-2009, 13:11
Works pretty well. Just be sure you have plenty of water. Otherwise, the plastic sticks to the side of the pot, melts, is hard to scrape off the pot, and water gets in the bag to waterlog the omelet.Sounds like a voice with experience. Listen well, grasshopper!

jrnj5k
06-17-2009, 14:07
Ah but I was using the word pan and pot in general terms (cooking vessel)... I never said anything about a "special pan" so you are putting words in my mouth. Anyway my comment about it not being any lighter still stands as you need something to boil the water in... and I was only teasing about the lazy bit anyway (note the happy face in my original post).

PackIt Gourmet has bags suitable for this and there are some vac pack bags that are good for boiling in.

Maybe you should be more clear in the future as to avoid confusion as there is a big difference between a pot and a pan and many of us do not consider the terms interchangeable with regards to cooking vessels. :rolleyes:;)

TD55
06-17-2009, 14:38

I used to carry a little 6 inch aluminum pan for frying up bisquits and eggs. I hardly ever carry it anymore. Thats why I liked seeing this method. I miss having a fresh omlett or fried eggs on the first morning out of a town supply. Thanks for the PackIt Gourment info

atraildreamer
06-17-2009, 15:13

We did this in the scouts in the sixties!

Take a potato, carrot, onion, whatever, slice into quarter inch pieces and place it in the center of a large piece of heavy duty foil. Take a piece of meat...hamburger, chicken, sauage, whatever...slice into quarter inch pieces and lay it on top of the veggies. Aplly liberal amounts of seasonings. add a little water. Fold the foil over to wrap the food. Tightly crimp the foil closed. Lay the foil pack on the bed of coals from the fire that you should have remembered to prepare beforehand! :mad: Shovel some of the coals over the top of the foil pack. Let the food cook for about 15 miutes and gently turn the pack over to allow the food to cook more evenly. Soon you will hear the gentle hissing of steam as the package starts to cook.

While dinner is cooking, calmly sit and contemplate nature, etc., while trying desperately to ignore the delicious aromas that is emanating form the fire! :D

After 20-30 minutes, carefully fremove the package from the bed of coals. Allow to cool for a minute or two. Take package in one hand, while swinging a hiking pole in other hand to keep away other voracious hikers who have been attracted by the delicious aroma from your dinner. :eek: Retreat into woods...rip open top of the foil package and devour contents for one of the best backwoods meals who can ever enjoy! :sun

snowhoe
06-17-2009, 15:20
If you have a bakepacker it will not take 13-15 minutes to cook. I LOVE the bakepacker.

Dkeener
06-17-2009, 15:34
Jeez, next thing folks will be puting food in foil and placing it on the exhaust manifold to cook on the way to the trailhead.

(BTW, this was used during the days of the Model T so its not a new idea.)

Dicentra
06-17-2009, 15:39
Jeez, next thing folks will be puting food in foil and placing it on the exhaust manifold to cook on the way to the trailhead.

Or sticking fish in the dishwasher to steam. LOL.;)

TD55
06-17-2009, 15:39
I don't know about trailheads it heats up pre cooked muskrat pretty darn good. I know you can bake a tater that way.

skinewmexico
06-17-2009, 16:47

I saw a cook book one time called "Manifold Destiny", and it was nothing but recipes to cook on your engine while you travel.

The article in Backpacker last month about cooking eggs and bacon in a paper sack, over an open fire was pretty cool too.

mudhead
06-17-2009, 16:52

Done that on a road trip. Olds station wagon. Pot roast. People look at you odd. Pnut butter/bread is easier.

Cooks quicker than you would think.

thunderson
06-17-2009, 17:02
Hey did a check on this you guys may want to rethink using them to cook in doesn't sound to healthy to me I'll stick with a frying pan neat idea though.

Just for kicks I went to the Ziplock website and while I didn't see anything regarding boiling with their products their FAQ section seemed to address some of these issues. According to the FAQ there have been e-mail warnings about ziplocks leaching dioxins under high heat when used in the microwave. Ziplock states that there are 1) no dioxins in their products, 2) chlorine and HIGH temperatures are needed to release dioxins.

So you're pretty much safe as long as you don't try to not only boil chlorine in their bags but boil said chlorine at a temp of 1500 deg F. I'm sure that like everything else, the truth lies somewhere in between and for now at least I won't worry too much about freezer bag cooking.

skinewmexico
06-17-2009, 18:05
I seriously doubt boiling in a bag a few times a year is going to poison you, unless you're in California. But what do I know, my dad used to drag a DDT bar around the yard around behind the lawnmower, and we'd chase the mosquito truck and ride in the fog.

Mrs Baggins
06-17-2009, 18:31
We did this in the scouts in the sixties!

Take a potato, carrot, onion, whatever, slice into quarter inch pieces and place it in the center of a large piece of heavy duty foil. Take a piece of meat...hamburger, chicken, sauage, whatever...slice into quarter inch pieces and lay it on top of the veggies. Aplly liberal amounts of seasonings. add a little water. Fold the foil over to wrap the food. Tightly crimp the foil closed. Lay the foil pack on the bed of coals from the fire that you should have remembered to prepare beforehand! :mad: Shovel some of the coals over the top of the foil pack. Let the food cook for about 15 miutes and gently turn the pack over to allow the food to cook more evenly. Soon you will hear the gentle hissing of steam as the package starts to cook.

While dinner is cooking, calmly sit and contemplate nature, etc., while trying desperately to ignore the delicious aromas that is emanating form the fire! :D

After 20-30 minutes, carefully fremove the package from the bed of coals. Allow to cool for a minute or two. Take package in one hand, while swinging a hiking pole in other hand to keep away other voracious hikers who have been attracted by the delicious aroma from your dinner. :eek: Retreat into woods...rip open top of the foil package and devour contents for one of the best backwoods meals who can ever enjoy! :sun

We called them "hobo" bags in the late 70's. We used to put a pork chop, chunked up potatoes, and fresh green beans in the foil with a little oil, and whatever seasonings you like. Fold it up and put it in the fire. Outstanding. Something we still do with potatoes - we slice potatoes in half, lay 2 halves on a big sheet of foil (enough to double wrap the potato, add sliced onion, several pats of butter, salt and pepper. Wrap the foil around all of it in a way that won't let the butter leak out when it melts. Place the foil pack on the grill (would work in a fire, too) and cook at least an hour.

snowhoe
06-17-2009, 18:59
I seriously doubt boiling in a bag a few times a year is going to poison you, unless you're in California. But what do I know, my dad used to drag a DDT bar around the yard around behind the lawnmower, and we'd chase the mosquito truck and ride in the fog.

I have been freezer bag cooking for years and I am fine. I did have a growth grow on my arm. Other than that I am fine. Love freezer bag cooking. No clean up and very little trash. When I was on the A.T. I couldnt believe how many people dont cook with freezer bags. I would be done with my clean up and people would be complaining about scrubbing there pot and I had no scrubbing to do.:)

LaurieAnn
06-17-2009, 19:49
There is a difference between pouring water in a freezer bag for FBC and cooking in it. I have no issue with the pouring water in them but to sit the bag in a boiling pot for 10 minutes... I think I'll pass. Then again we all thought those BPA based Nalgenes were perfectly fine too.

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2009, 20:49
There is a difference between pouring water in a freezer bag for FBC and cooking in it. I have no issue with the pouring water in them but to sit the bag in a boiling pot for 10 minutes... I think I'll pass. Then again we all thought those BPA based Nalgenes were perfectly fine too.

LaurieAnn I think you are missing out... And if you read about BPA you would have to drink a ton before any leachate from plastic would affect you, The FDA was more concerned about consumption from children.

Now if I could just get rid of this Goiter.......:eek::D

Dances with Mice
06-17-2009, 20:58

Do you consider that a credible article? If so, don't use FBC. Then you have one less thing to worry about.

IMO it was pure hogwash. I'd bet a month's salary the author couldn't describe the difference between polyethylene and polystyrene.

JDCool1
06-18-2009, 00:08
I believe that Sarbar, a frequent WB poster, has a book and website that discusses freezer bag cooking. She offers a number of recipes. I have tried them and recommend it as an easy way to keep the pots clean and a quick way to prepare some great meals.

Dances with Mice
06-18-2009, 05:50
Do you consider that a credible article? ...
IMO it was pure hogwash.Sorry to quote myself, but I just had to share my favorite line in the article....

Since the egg and cheese contained in an omelet includes fat of their own the mixture tends to get even hotter then the boiling water.ROFL!! I did not make that up. Seriously. I am not quoting out of context.

So his recipe is for thermonuclear eggs?

TD55
06-18-2009, 07:38
The site that got suggested for obtaining bags says don't use them the way that is being suggested. When you click on the product there is a clear warning that says you can only use them for adding water to the bag and says don't put them in boiling water.
S

Dances with Mice
06-18-2009, 08:02
The site that got suggested for obtaining bags says don't use them the way that is being suggested. When you click on the product there is a clear warning that says you can only use them for adding water to the bag and says don't put them in boiling water.
SBecause they melt easily. So be careful.

garlic08
06-18-2009, 10:15
Sorry to quote myself, but I just had to share my favorite line in the article....

ROFL!! I did not make that up. Seriously. I am not quoting out of context.

I was wondering if anyone else would notice that small physics problem!

Two Speed
06-18-2009, 11:19
Tried it for breakfast this morning. Y'all do what you please, but definitely gonna be added to my repertoire.

Hikes in Rain
06-18-2009, 12:25
Geez, I must be getting old! I've done all those things...ziplock omelets, foil in the fire, foil on the manifold, and earlier than almost all the dates mentioned here. And in another thread, I brought forth the concept of the dingle stick! Should I mention I also know how to cook all kinds of stuff with no utensils at all, or would that just be bragging? ;)

snowhoe
06-18-2009, 12:28
I have seen dingle berrys but not a dingle stick. Maybe its used to get to those hard to reach dingle berrys.

Hikes in Rain
06-18-2009, 12:30
Sorry to quote myself, but I just had to share my favorite line in the article....

ROFL!! I did not make that up. Seriously. I am not quoting out of context.

Hang on a sec.....

*mumble, mumble* http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/7/9/a/79ab855f00cdd662899a440867b9f7c3.png

Nah, no matter how you look at it, entropy's a mother to get around.

TD55
06-18-2009, 12:34
Hey, I'm just tryin to find out if there is a real safe way to cook using this method. There has to be a reason why every freezer bag maker is warning not to use thier bags for boiling food in. Somebody must know where to get the right kind of bags. They must have them available because they are used for commercial food use (frozn foods).

mister krabs
06-18-2009, 12:48
You can find "boilable vacuum pouch" with a google search, They're used for sous vide cooking. I can't seem to find them in less than case sizes.

Dances with Mice
06-18-2009, 13:24
Hey, I'm just tryin to find out if there is a real safe way to cook using this method. There has to be a reason why every freezer bag maker is warning not to use thier bags for boiling food in. Somebody must know where to get the right kind of bags. They must have them available because they are used for commercial food use (frozn foods).Vacuum seal bags are made out of polyethylene, rather thick polyethylene, and can be used for cooking and boiling. Ziplocks are also made out of polyethylene but really thin polyethylene.

If they were recommended for cooking then Suzie Homemaker would melt the bag, or start with too much air in the bag and bust the zip closure open as the contents heated, or have some other problem then call the Ziplock bag people to complain that her dinner was ruined. If they don't recommend them for cooking it makes handling the complaints easier - they can just say "Hey, we told you not to do that!"

It's hard to work for a consumer products company and not be cynical.

Use care not to let the bag contact really hot surfaces, don't start heating with a lot of air in the bag, etc, and Ziplocks will work fine. They're just thin so be careful.

TD55
06-18-2009, 13:35
I'm a scardycat and wus when it comes to ingesting chemicals. I'll eat worms, bugs, roadkill, whatever, just don't like chemicals. Don't know how those vacuum packs seal up and can't tell from the photo's, so I am just gonna start asking some of my many chef friends about the sous vide cooking thing. With any luck I can get a few of those bags for a beer or a shot.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Allen1901
06-18-2009, 19:38
If You don't want to use ziplocks, You might rig up something with a piece of Reynolds oven bag and string. Like a big tea bag with eggs.

This boiling technique should work with foil too. You would just have to seal it up really tight.

Cheers!

conmcb25
06-18-2009, 19:48
We called them "hobo" bags in the late 70's. We used to put a pork chop, chunked up potatoes, and fresh green beans in the foil with a little oil, and whatever seasonings you like. Fold it up and put it in the fire. Outstanding. Something we still do with potatoes - we slice potatoes in half, lay 2 halves on a big sheet of foil (enough to double wrap the potato, add sliced onion, several pats of butter, salt and pepper. Wrap the foil around all of it in a way that won't let the butter leak out when it melts. Place the foil pack on the grill (would work in a fire, too) and cook at least an hour.

Scouts still do hobo's, my Troop has done them since Ive been involved for the last 10 years. Kids love em.

Now I'm wondering if you could do this with eggs to avoid the plastic bag "issue".

Hikes in Rain
06-18-2009, 20:07
Scouts still do hobo's, my Troop has done them since Ive been involved for the last 10 years. Kids love em.

Now I'm wondering if you could do this with eggs to avoid the plastic bag "issue".

Wrap the egg in foil and put it in the coals, as you suggested. It works.

Oil a flat rock, crack the egg on it and "bake" it by the fire.

Haven't actually tried this one, but put a couple of slices of bacon in the bottom of a paper bag, crack an egg over them, fold the top of the bag down, and shove a stick through it so you can hold it over coals like a hobo stick. The idea is that the bacon releases its grease as it cooks, soaks into the bag, and keeps it from burning. Sounds like one misstep could result in bacon and eggs flambe!

One my favorite "eggstrordinary" ways: whittle a little spit, poke it through the egg, set it up on a couple of little forked sticks, and rotisserie it! It's cute as all getout!

I can probably come up with other fun ways, if you like. :-?

toothpick
06-18-2009, 20:40
The best way to cook hard boiled eggs is with the Egg Genie. LOL. Seriously, get the water boiling and let the eggs boil a couple of minute then let them sit in the hot water for about 20 minutes. It will save you alot of fuel.

4Bears
06-18-2009, 21:15
For more recipies you can go to http://www.trailcooking.com/ this is the new web site for freezerbagcooking.com a lot of them are very good IMHO.

TD55
06-19-2009, 06:35
It looks like there is a small cottage industry that is completely dependent on convincing people to ignore safty and health warnings. Bag makers are prolific in thier postings of warnings to NOT use thier products for boil in bag cooking. The toxic chemicals(s) that can be ingested when this method of cooking are used are causes and links to serious life threatening illness, desease and death. When you go to the proponents of these methods of cooking sites you see no such warnings. Nothing about birth defects, childhood cancers, blindness, kidney failure, etc.
So what do you think? Am I overreacting? Being a trouble maker?
Seems odd and kind of bizarre that on a site where topics about freeloading for a $10.00 hostel or wether a shuttle driver has a license or not, or if it's OK to haul and litter trash onto the trail as long as you call it magic can bring hundreds of intense and emotional responses, but the promotion of ingesting toxic chemicals and feeding them to your children, ah, not such a big deal.

Dances with Mice
06-19-2009, 06:40
The toxic chemicals(s) that can be ingested when this method of cooking are used are causes and links to serious life threatening illness, desease and death. Link, please.

TD55
06-19-2009, 06:49
You need a link to convince you that the ingestion of polyethylene is harmful? Thats the same thing I heard 40 years ago about dioxin. It is what chemical makers do. They say show us a link, argue endlessly while babys are born deformed, kids die of kidney and other organ failures for decades and than they say, oops, sorry, the law suites are so huge we have to go bankrupt. How about if you find the link telling everyone how safe it is to ingest that crap.

Dances with Mice
06-19-2009, 06:56
The toxic chemicals(s) that can be ingested when this method of cooking are used are causes and links to serious life threatening illness, desease and death.Strong words there. So you're saying you just made them up?

Dances with Mice
06-19-2009, 07:07
How about if you find the link telling everyone how safe it is to ingest that crap.Here's one. (http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/MSDS_POLYETHELENE.pdf) Where's yours?

TD55
06-19-2009, 07:17
I went to the web sites of the various bag makers, including Glad. Everyone one them had warnings. My assumtion is that a health warning would not be given by the producer of a product unless there was something to it. If there are not links to the chemicals in the bags and and illness, etc.,? What is the purpose of the warning?
So, you may be right, I made those workd up, but you are answering my questions by asking me new ones that are kind of irrelivent. I asked you for a link showing that the ingestion of thes chemicals are safe. You are avoiding the answer by by making it seem unreasonable to assume that eating plastic leads to sickness. I "made the words up", therefore chemicals contained in plastic bags are safe.
I didn't ask for a dance. If you believe my comments are an overreaction or I am being unfair, just say your piece. I am not a chemist or doctor. I am just a person that for whatever reasons, believe that eating plastic chemicals may be a hazard to good health. You want to be a proponent of and for plastic bag chemical eaters, go for it.

Dances with Mice
06-19-2009, 07:27
You want to be a proponent of and for plastic bag chemical eaters, go for it.And now who is putting words in who's mouth? Quote me where I said anything like that. You said FBC was dangerous. I'm asking what the dangers are. What information do you have?

I went to the web sites of the various bag makers, including Glad. Everyone one them had warnings. My assumtion is that a health warning would not be given by the producer of a product unless there was something to it. If there are not links to the chemicals in the bags and and illness, etc.,? What is the purpose of the warning?Already explained in a previous post. The bags are thin, could melt or rupture and ruin your food. Did the warning pertain to health or did you ASSUME that too?

If you believe my comments are an overreaction or I am being unfair, just say your piece. What I believe is as irrelevant as what you believe.

thunderson
06-19-2009, 07:29
TD55,
I don't blame you for being nervous about this kind of thing. I'm often real cautious about this kind of stuff too. However, if you go to the link that was posted earlier in the thread that started the debate you will find that the links that article has to evidence actually don't point to evidence but to adds for computer security software or some such. Including the link to Ziplock. I went to Ziplocks site myself and found the information that I posted above. Ziplock is emphatic that their bags do not leach dioxin. Even if they did it would take chlorine and 1500 deg temps to release it. I personally think that the warnings about boiling are centered around the thickness of the bags(or lack thereof) and the chance of heat related injury as opposed to poisoning.
I think this (along with most things on this site) is great information to have to inspire futher personal research. Ultimately the decision is yours and your right to make. Folks may disagree with your choices but as long as your choices aren't affecting them, who cares? Don't worry too much about the WhiteBlaze "experts". According to them I'm both a) a major wimp who only uses hiking poles because I'm weak and the victim of major marketing campaigns and b) a genius for the benefits of stess reduction on knees and increased stability.:D

TD55
06-19-2009, 07:47
I understand that plastic bags may be safe if they are of a certain weight. There are bags available for this kind of cooking. I was unable to find these bags in other than large quanities. They are not something that are available at the local supermarket, although it sounds like with some improvising you can obtain a product that may work (vacuum bags, roasting bags). Hence, from reading about freezer bag cooking, one is led to believe that using commom freezer bags is perfectly safe and that the only problem is that the bag may get to hot and melt, spilling the food as well as the melted plastic into the water. I am not a chemist or doctor. I just find it hard to believe that ingesting melted plastic is healthy, and it amazes me that anyone could debate that. I am truely sorry if I have insulted the melted plastic chemical eaters.

Dances with Mice
06-19-2009, 08:15
Hence, from reading about freezer bag cooking, one is led to believe that using commom freezer bags is perfectly safe and that the only problem is that the bag may get to hot and melt, spilling the food as well as the melted plastic into the water. I am not a chemist or doctor. I just find it hard to believe that ingesting melted plastic is healthy, and it amazes me that anyone could debate that. I am truely sorry if I have insulted the melted plastic chemical eaters.So you no longer believe this?
The toxic chemicals(s) that can be ingested when this method of cooking are used are causes and links to serious life threatening illness, desease and death.

TD55
06-19-2009, 08:37
So you no longer believe this?
The toxic chemicals(s) that can be ingested when this method of cooking are used are causes and links to serious life threatening illness, desease and death.
Yes, I still believe this. I still believe that it is harmful to use this method of cooking if a specific weight bag made by a manufacurer that is reputable and test its products regulary is not used. I belive that propnents of this cooking should make it clear that there are potential risks if common freezer bags are used and I believe that it would be foolish to believe that bags made in someplace like China might not be contaminated.
Specificaly, I can not prove that putting the chemicals contained in plastic bags into your system will do or not do. But, yes, I believe that eating plastic residue will do all that stuff, based soley on what I consider to be common sense.

Dances with Mice
06-19-2009, 08:57
Cool.

And I don't advocate eating plastic bags. For your information.

CowHead
06-19-2009, 09:03
I understand that plastic bags may be safe if they are of a certain weight. There are bags available for this kind of cooking. I was unable to find these bags in other than large quanities. They are not something that are available at the local supermarket, although it sounds like with some improvising you can obtain a product that may work (vacuum bags, roasting bags). Hence, from reading about freezer bag cooking, one is led to believe that using commom freezer bags is perfectly safe and that the only problem is that the bag may get to hot and melt, spilling the food as well as the melted plastic into the water. I am not a chemist or doctor. I just find it hard to believe that ingesting melted plastic is healthy, and it amazes me that anyone could debate that. I am truely sorry if I have insulted the melted plastic chemical eaters.

That's it I suing my mom for all those peanut butter sandwiches that I ate, this is why I turn out this way plastic bag poisoning

TD55
06-19-2009, 09:04
Cool.

And I don't advocate eating plastic bags. For your information.

OK, glad we could come to our own conclusions. Thanks for the educational discussion.

mister krabs
06-19-2009, 09:09
I was unable to find these bags in other than large quanities.

Here you go (http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=88&pid=255), packs of 22 boilable bags. 50 cents a piece, but reusable if that's your thing. It's a lot cheaper if you have a machine and can buy the rolls instead.

When the alarmist and regulation happy EU bans sous vide cooking and cryovac storage, I'll begin to question it's safety.

LaurieAnn
06-19-2009, 11:46
LaurieAnn I think you are missing out... And if you read about BPA you would have to drink a ton before any leachate from plastic would affect you, The FDA was more concerned about consumption from children.

Now if I could just get rid of this Goiter.......:eek::D

I trust Health Canada and they pulled them before the FDA did and I have read extensively about BPA. That and I do have a child to think about... my eight year old uses a water bottle every day because I prefer him to have water than things like juice. He also goes on all of our backpacking and other wilderness excursions with us. I drink 2 litres of water a day from a water bottle... sometimes more when hiking in the summer heat... frankly any product that isn't safe for my child isn't good enough for me either.

Here is an article of interest surrounding BPA...

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1332699

Anyway freezer bags don't have BPA but my point was that we need to carefully consider what we ingest and each person has to make their own informed decision. That's why I won't cook or bake foods in freezer bags... as I said before I will, on occasion, use them for rehydrating foods.

atraildreamer
06-22-2009, 20:29
[quote=TD55;856244]Hey, I'm just tryin to find out if there is a real safe way to cook using this method. There has to be a reason why every freezer bag maker is warning not to use thier bags for boiling food in. Somebody must know where to get the right kind of bags. They must have them available because they are used for commercial food use (frozn foods).[quote]

Swine flu, North Korean nukes, Iranian nukes, economic distress, inflation, depression, Democrats, Republicans, crazy cellphone talking drivers, yada...yada...yada...and you're worried about getting taken out by a freezer bag! :eek: Don't worry...be happy...there's a lot more dangerous stuff out there that can kill ya! b:D

TD55
06-22-2009, 20:58
Well, if someone reads this thread they will learn that there is a safe way to use this method of cooking and a not so safe way as well as providing a source for the proper bags. Whats wrong with that? Maybe they will be using this method to feed thier children on occasion. Your attitude seems to imply that you might as well give them a ciggy butt with thier meal since we live in a doomed world anyhow.

Dances with Mice
06-22-2009, 22:00
I can't remember ... has it been noted on this thread that if you find a piece of plastic in your mouth you should spit it out and not swallow it?

Or is that common sense?

Wise Old Owl
06-22-2009, 22:35

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl0/1/15259/05_2008/exhaustburger2.preview.jpg