PDA

View Full Version : Sky Meadows State Park to Pen Mar

CowHead
06-16-2009, 15:06
Just seeing what the NVa side is like anyone been on that part of the trail Maryland I on every weekend, how's things south of the border in Va
Hiking this June 29 - July 4 09

tenbeer
06-16-2009, 15:18
Sky Meadows is beautiful. A welcome relief to the green tunnel. It features big open field walks. Plan some extra time for this short walk. It follows the rollercoaster.

CowHead
06-17-2009, 07:07
thanks for the information

Newb
06-17-2009, 15:17
SkyMeadows is absolutely the best. I have some NoVa hikes on my youtube page if you're interested...including Sky Meadows. Just click the link in my signature.

scree
06-18-2009, 12:47
Trail conditions were good this past Sunday, despite all the recent rain. A little muddy but nothing to write home about. I think you'll find this is a great week to pass through, with the unusually cool temperature, full foliage, and (with luck) clearer views in the afternoon.

I passed a couple thru hikers this past Sunday who were undoubtedly grateful to reach the other side of the tunnel. Perfect weather for it too.

If you have time, Sky Meadows is worth a stop -- there's a campground a short mile or two down from the first you'll pass at a clearing as you enter the park nobo. If you have a day to spare, the trails offer some beautiful panoramic views and there are often events down at the visitor center.

CowHead
06-18-2009, 12:52
Trail conditions were good this past Sunday, despite all the recent rain. A little muddy but nothing to write home about. I think you'll find this is a great week to pass through, with the unusually cool temperature, full foliage, and (with luck) clearer views in the afternoon.

I passed a couple thru hikers this past Sunday who were undoubtedly grateful to reach the other side of the tunnel. Perfect weather for it too.

If you have time, Sky Meadows is worth a stop -- there's a campground a short mile or two down from the first you'll pass at a clearing as you enter the park nobo. If you have a day to spare, the trails offer some beautiful panoramic views and there are often events down at the visitor center.

Thanks this will complete my North Va WV MD section hike, I just need springer to fontana, the everything north of pen mar to Katahdid Planned to have all of this done and do a thru hike in 2020 when I retire

scree
06-18-2009, 13:07
excellent, be sure to check out the official web site -- http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/sky.shtml

Includes a trail map if you're inclined to leave the AT, though I find the official trail map to be a little confusing. Basically, you can get back to the AT easily from either the North Ridge or Ambassador Whitehouse trails, so look for those (and head up) if you get turned around.