PDA

View Full Version : ATTN:Sgt Rock,Around the campfire being hacked??

Streamweaver
07-02-2004, 12:48
Every time I try to get on Around the campfire .A messege comes up that says its from [email]Boob11 with a hotmail email address F*** America and Isreal Blah Blah Blah
And it has a link to some website Online hackers or some thing. Who should I report this too? This could be one of those damn terrorist websites or something,though its prolly just some idiot colledge kids. Streamweaver

attroll
07-02-2004, 13:22
Rock and I are working on it now as I type this. We are hoping to have it back up by the end of the day. We make no promisses though.

dixicritter
07-02-2004, 17:05
Thank you Streamweaver and you too Troll.

It is very upsetting to see this happen to his site. The only reason we can come up with is because it could be done.

Thank you for you patience as he works to get it back up and running again.

Pencil Pusher
07-02-2004, 17:16
I'm guessing this 'campfire' is online chat. There is teamspeak: http://www.teamspeak.org

I'm not sure on the server side of things, or if there'd even need to be one. As far as users, it's all free and only occupies a small bandwidth (I think it's something like 3Kb/sec). Basically it would allow for an 'around the campfire' live chat, where people could actually speak to each other via the internet (and their microphone/headphone). Food for thought.

SGT Rock
07-02-2004, 17:28
I have finally found the fix, but it will take at least three hours to fix the databse. Freakin hackers.

The Scribe
07-02-2004, 19:19
What's "Around the campfire?"

SGT Rock
07-02-2004, 19:22
I have my own website. I put a forum on there. In fact, when WhiteBlaze was experienceing "technical difficulties" a while back, that was the place to go for most of the old members. I called my forum "arround the Campfire" because that is the sort of talk you get there. It isn't just AT talk, it is like sitting around and shooting the ****. It sort of died down when I went to Iraq, and hasn't picked up yet. It gets a lot less traffic. Right now it isn't getting any. I don't go around trying to spam the site here about it which is probably why most WhiteBlazers these days have never heard of it.

SGT Rock
07-02-2004, 23:35
The campfire is back up. It isn't like it was, and that will take me some time. http://hikinghq.net/forum/index.php

SGT Rock
07-03-2004, 12:22
I have the colors and forum stuff set, now I have to fix the site front page.

MedicineMan
07-03-2004, 23:25
If you are looking for the best equipment reviews hit his site.
If you are a hammocker or hammocker wannabee go there first.
If you are looking for tidbits on hiking/camping, you are remiss not to study there.
I would not be sleeping on a cloud (uhmmm in a hammock) every night on the trail if it weren't for Sgt. Rock and HammockHanger.

SGT Rock
07-04-2004, 13:15
Around The Campfire and Hiking H.Q. are now up with a slightly newer look. I would greatly appriciate it if as many of you as feel the urge came over there and messed around with it. I need feedback and to find those little errors that make browsing a site a por experience.

Thanks.

MedicineMan
07-04-2004, 22:19
all looks good but could not get to the hammocking forum?????

Streamweaver
07-04-2004, 23:09
all looks good but could not get to the hammocking forum?????

I just tried the Hammocking forum and it worked fine. You might want to try deleting your cookies for that site and signing on again,sometimes that works. Streamweaver

SGT Rock
07-05-2004, 01:21
you may have tried to log in while I was working on the site, occasionally I am deleting a file or uploading and renaming new stuff right now. The next step should be to make some new buttons, but I haven't figure out the layering in photoshop.

SGT Rock
07-05-2004, 14:08
Site is looking better (except for the buttons) but now I have had a Netscape problem pointed out. Right now I am trying to resolve it.

SGT Rock
07-07-2004, 00:57
The Netscape problem is resolved. I need as many people to go there and check it out and see if the lay out is screwy. I have at least one user using IE that cannot see the link bar, but I think that is a settings problem on the user's end. I would greatly appriciate it.

Hiking HQ - come on over and read about hammocks, alcohol stoves, and such... (http://hikinghq.net/index.php)

Thanks.

Jersey Bob
07-07-2004, 15:12
at least 10 characters

SGT Rock
07-07-2004, 15:56
Avatars are enabled. I don't know why you couldn't upload a custom avatar.

SGT Rock
07-07-2004, 15:58
I also figured out why the new Java wasn't working for some people. If you remember a while back that Microsoft was being sued by Sun because they violated the useage agreement for Java, apparently Microsoft stopped providing full compliance with java. I now have a fix update for microsfot users with this issue posted on my site.

c.coyle
07-08-2004, 07:07
I also figured out why the new Java wasn't working for some people ... apparently Microsoft stopped providing full compliance with java. I now have a fix update for microsfot users with this issue posted on my site.

Whatever you did, for the first time ever, its loading and navigating correctly with Opera

SGT Rock
07-08-2004, 07:28
I made sure my site uses real java script, not some crap that was written for the "mostly Java" enviroment in IE. It would figure that Microsoft would even try to back door co-op Java. I now have Mozilla Firefox as well as Netscape on my system at home to check out the site in it to ensure compliance with web browsers other than IE.

Streamweaver
07-08-2004, 09:38
I made sure my site uses real java script, not some crap that was written for the "mostly Java" enviroment in IE. It would figure that Microsoft would even try to back door co-op Java. I now have Mozilla Firefox as well as Netscape on my system at home to check out the site in it to ensure compliance with web browsers other than IE.

I downloaded that Mozilla Firefox last night but still couldnt view the menu.It did change it a bit because I could see a button there for that Java plug in,download (though it didnt work when I clicked on it) I have been getting a pop up messege when I visit certain sites that says theres a script error and it asks if I want to continue using scripts,I wonder if thats the problem.Maybe the java on my machine is screwed ?! Who knows! Streamweaver Oh yeah ,the Java download you have on there doesnt support windows 95 so I wonder if I need to find something similar for 95?!

SGT Rock
07-08-2004, 09:51
That is wild. Windows 95 may be old java, and the browser you are using may be looking for newer java which you don't have. try going to this site: www.javatester.org/version.html

It give a pretty good run-down of java and helps you find out if your system has java problems. My guess is you have older java on your system and Mozilla won't update that. If you install Netscape full install, that should fix any java problems your system may have. BTW, I am growing to despise IE more and more.

attroll
07-08-2004, 11:11
When I log onto your site a window pops up asking me to install a script. I click NO and the menus look a little funny but I can still get around your site. So I have not big porblem.

I will not install anything on my computer unless I have to. So I am a little leary when going to sites that ask you to install things. But since I know you Rock I will install it one day. I am just a little to cautios that is all.

SGT Rock
07-08-2004, 11:12
The install is a java script that installs from a cab file. I don't know why they do it this way.

Rain Man
07-08-2004, 12:54
.... BTW, I am growing to despise IE more and more.

Ahhhhhh, sooooo, Grasshopper, the beginning of true wisdom.

:jump

Rain Man

Rain Man
07-08-2004, 12:56
I will not install anything on my computer unless I have to. ....

Ahhhhhhhh, soooooooo, Grasshopper #2, the fulfillment of true wisdom!!!

:jump

Rain Man

c.coyle
07-08-2004, 16:39
... apparently Microsoft stopped providing full compliance with java....

The standard is whatever Microsoft says it is. :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
07-08-2004, 16:48
Bill Gates (thinks he) is a God