PDA

View Full Version : Multi-purpose tarp

prain4u
06-17-2009, 00:33
I am looking for a "good" multi-purpose tarp. (If such a thing exists).

I would love to find a tarp that would provide great rain protection when used with my Hennesey Hammock Ultralight Backpacker--but which could also be taken off of the hammock and used as a good separate form of shelter when hammock hanging wasn't permitted or advisable.

If the tarp could also be set up in several different styles or configurations--that would be an added benefit.

I would like to keep the weight down if possible.

Do you have any recommendations regarding a good tarp manufacturer? What size (and shape) of tarp would you recommend? What material would you recommend? (If you could tell me "why" you are recommending these things--that would also be helpful.)

Thanks!

bigcranky
06-17-2009, 07:18
I like my Maccat Deluxe tarp (http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/products-maccat-tarps.html). It's perfect on my hammock, and can be set up as a regular sleep-on-the-ground tarp. But, it's not very flexible in how it can be set up.

For maximum flexibility, a square tarp about 10x10 feet can be set up in a gazillion different configurations. Plus it's large enough to cover just about any hammock when pitched either on the diagonal or as an A-frame.

But I'll keep my Maccat. Great tarp.

prain4u
06-17-2009, 09:09
BIG CRANKY: Does the MacCat Deluxe work pretty well as an "on the ground" tarp? I have heard many people sing its praises for use with hammocks--and I have seen pictures of it being used on hammocks. However, I don't know if I have ever heard folks talk very much about using it on the ground (or seen pictures of it being used on the ground).

Reid
06-17-2009, 09:56
I've got some pics around here of me setting up the equinox and ID siltarp 2 in the same configurations and why I thought the ID tarp was best. I'll have to find them when I get home. I measured both tarps, actually three tarps, and I couldn't find much difference in shape, cut, or anything really but I am a firm believer in the ID siltarp 2.

bigcranky
06-17-2009, 10:13
BIG CRANKY: Does the MacCat Deluxe work pretty well as an "on the ground" tarp?

Yes, if it's pitched pretty much the same way. I have pitched it with two trekking poles (in place of trees with the hammock hang.) It has good coverage. It can really only be pitched in an A-Frame style. I don't think I have a photo, but it shouldn't be too hard to visualize it. Just look at the photo on the Maccat web site and imagine sleeping on the ground under the tarp.

brooklynkayak
06-17-2009, 10:22
For maximum flexibility, a square tarp about 10x10 feet can be set up in a gazillion different configurations. Plus it's large enough to cover just about any hammock when pitched either on the diagonal or as an A-frame.

Yes, that is what I've noticed when I've browsed the web. The size is big enough that even horizontal wind/rain can't get in. You and your gear will stay dry on those stormy nights, on the ground or in the hammock.
There are hundreds of ways to pitch a square tarp and if it's made out of silnylon or the even lighter materials, weighs very little.

Other shapes of tarps have their advantages, but the square shape makes for a more versatile shelter.

Feral Bill
06-17-2009, 11:37
Yes, that is what I've noticed when I've browsed the web. The size is big enough that even horizontal wind/rain can't get in. You and your gear will stay dry on those stormy nights, on the ground or in the hammock.
There are hundreds of ways to pitch a square tarp and if it's made out of silnylon or the even lighter materials, weighs very little.

Other shapes of tarps have their advantages, but the square shape makes for a more versatile shelter.

8x10 is easier to find, and works well.

sparky2000
06-17-2009, 11:57
Do u'ze sllep on the ground without a ground cover or bivy? No tent tub seems to start bug trouble.

mister krabs
06-17-2009, 12:19
Do u'ze sllep on the ground without a ground cover or bivy? No tent tub seems to start bug trouble.

I use a groundcloth, was using a painter's dropcloth, just switched to tyvek. No bivy, I wear deet, watch for fire ants and try not to think about copperheads.

bigcranky
06-17-2009, 19:12
Groundsheet or homemade bug bivy. Depends on the season.

shelterbuilder
06-17-2009, 19:42
I've got a monster of a home made tarp - it's 7' x 13', and it's got lots of tie-out points, including a few extras on the center-seam (yes, they have to be sealed occasionally - just like the center-seam itself). This thing is big enough to shelter 2 people reasonably well, and is a palace for just one. :D

Bugs??? No problem - a bug bivy (also home made) that works with both the hammock or on the ground.

COPPERHEADS?!#!?:eek::eek: Isn't that one of the things that you use the hammock to avoid?;)