PDA

View Full Version : Pen Mar Park parking

10-K
06-17-2009, 10:38
Does anyone know what the parking situation is like at Pen Mar park?

I was there this past weekend and the parking doesn't open until 9:00 AM - they have a locked gate at the entrance to the parking area.

I'd like to leave my truck there for 2 weeks or so....but not if it's going to get towed away.

CowHead
06-17-2009, 11:08
outside of the park there's about 15 spots in a gravel lot I park there when I'm overnight on the trail on the Pa side pass the railroad tracks there is two spots 5 feet from the trail

Ridge Rat
06-17-2009, 11:32
Park across the street from the gate in the lot. I have left my car there for 1 week once and no one bothered it. One of the cleaner lots (no glass) and the area is well patrolled by local police (asked one when he drove by). Should be no issues.

Don H
06-18-2009, 14:20
I parked there on two different occasions for a week each time, no problems.

10-K
06-18-2009, 15:30
Good to know. I'll plan on parking there then.

It kind of threw me off when I saw the parking lot was closed and locked up until 9:00 AM.

Toolshed
06-18-2009, 17:32
Safe as can be across the street. Nice to know that there is water nearby if you sleep in your vehicle on night 1. bathrooms are unlocked by 7-8AM latest.

astrogirl
06-18-2009, 18:00
Where are you hiking from there? I'm hiking from Caledonia down to Ashby Gap next week.

10-K
06-18-2009, 18:05
Where are you hiking from there? I'm hiking from Caledonia down to Ashby Gap next week.

Well, my original plan was to park at Pen Mar park, get a ride to DWG and hike back to Pen Mar on July 11th.

Now I'm trying to move it up to June 27th because the date for our annual family reunion got changed.

Depends on if I can get a ride to DWG from Pen Mar on the 27th.

Don H
06-18-2009, 19:33
You'll be starting with a nice climb up Mt. Minsi.

10-K
06-18-2009, 19:40
You'll be starting with a nice climb up Mt. Minsi.

I think every hike I've been on starts with a nice climb.

Trail Bug
02-27-2011, 09:28
Unfortunately I need to park my car there for about 2 weeks on the opening day of the park (1 May). Getting picked up by a friend and we are starting south at Port Clinton. Not familiar with this area. Do you think this parking lot will be a nightmare on opening day? My fall back is staying at the Days Inn in Waynesboro and asking to leave my car in their lot.
Any thoughts or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

johnnybgood
02-27-2011, 11:24
Not sure I follow you when you say " unfortunately " . I don't know of any safety issues regarding parking there.
PenMar Park is a small county park off the beaten path , not sure how popular with the locals but I really don't think it's a problem.
Maybe someone else can chime in with more info.

johnnybgood
02-27-2011, 11:42
Here's a website : http://www.washco-md.net/public_works/parks/penmar.shtm

Trail Bug
02-27-2011, 16:38
Not sure I follow you when you say " unfortunately " . I don't know of any safety issues regarding parking there.
PenMar Park is a small county park off the beaten path , not sure how popular with the locals but I really don't think it's a problem.
Maybe someone else can chime in with more info.

I just meant that opening day was probably bad timing for getting a parking spot. I know nothing about the park so assumed there may be something big going on on opening day that attracts a lot of the locals each year.

harryfred
02-28-2011, 05:17
Should not be a problem. There is plenty of parking inside the park for any events scheduled. The parks main attraction is its view. It does have some small music and dance events at the pavilion and a neat little museum. The parking area just outside the park is very popular with hikers and always seems to be adequate. The locals are always friendly and seem to enjoy having hikers passing through and using their town as a popular trail head The parking area is in the open within view of several houses so it is a fairly safe place to leave a car, and no one will be concerned if it stays there for several weeks even.

Ashman
02-28-2011, 07:19
It is a well used park, at least it was when I left my car there. Again like others said, the lot outside the park itself is the way to go. Super awesome view in the park, a great place to start or end a hike!

Trail Bug
02-28-2011, 08:14
It is a well used park, at least it was when I left my car there. Again like others said, the lot outside the park itself is the way to go. Super awesome view in the park, a great place to start or end a hike!

Thanks for the information. I will pass it on to my hiking friends.

No trail name
03-07-2011, 23:54
Not sure where you are hiking to - but if you are concerned about the parking there - and I would be. There is always the option of parking farther south at Washington Monument Park. They provide parking for overnighters and it is locked at night... Just a suggestion...

Trail Bug
03-08-2011, 07:32
Not sure where you are hiking to - but if you are concerned about the parking there - and I would be. There is always the option of parking farther south at Washington Monument Park. They provide parking for overnighters and it is locked at night... Just a suggestion...

Starting at Port Clinton. Be parked there about 2 weeks. I have always heard it was a pretty safe area. Have you had a problem parking there? Thanks for the imput.