PDA

View Full Version : Any problems finding water from Springer to Fontana?

Plodderman
06-17-2009, 15:47
Hiking from Springer to Fontana in early August how are the water sources along the trail?

Chaco Taco
06-17-2009, 19:36
Hiking from Springer to Fontana in early August how are the water sources along the trail?
I doubt water is much an issue anywhere in the south right now. Just keep an eye on the rainfall total for towns along the section you want to hike over the coming weeks. Things are great right now

cavediver256
06-18-2009, 10:48
Gotta agree with Chaco on this one, just hiked Springer to Neels Gap and all the usual water sources were available throughout the 30 miles. Things could change by August though... I would keep a close eye on things between now and then.

Tennessee Viking
06-18-2009, 10:56
Last couple years, water levels were low during the summer. Now this summer, it is hot but VERY WET.

Had 5 inches of rain in one rainfall down on the NC Piedmont.

Just keep an eye on rainfall levels as the summer goes. www.weather.com (http://www.weather.com)

Bad Co
06-20-2009, 15:19
I just got back from that hike yesterday
No problem finding water whatsoever

Ox97GaMe
06-20-2009, 22:27
Was just up near Fontana today.... Water is gushing out of the mountains. They have gotten nearly 10 inches of rainfall this past week. I saw springs in places I havent seen them in a VERY long time.

But, July is usually a very dry month here in the south. By August, any and all water sources may be running dry like most other years.

genetic claybuilding
08-15-2009, 11:37
What's the current situation?

Bearpaw
08-15-2009, 13:49
Rainiest July in the Smokies I can remember as of a couple of weeks ago. There were MANY flood warnings. You shouldn't have the slightest trouble finding water.