PDA

View Full Version : Fatman needs a solo shelter

srestrepo
06-17-2009, 16:23
I'm thinking of getting myself my first solo tent. it has to be a tent as im too heavy for a hammock and dont want to bother with bugs and critters with a tarp. i'm also big. not entirely fat, but big, i'm 5'11 310 pounds broad shoulders and as you can imaging, pretty much everything else is broad too. i want to buy a tent but i'm not sure which one to get. i'm thinking of the eureka spitfire or some of the mountain hardwear solo tents but have no idea as to which to pick. i need something with space to cook in case i need to or somewhere i can sleep and not have to stake my body down so i dont touch the sides. i'm open to ideas or any recommendations and i'm sure you people will take care of me. the budget it abot $250 bucks but if i can spend less i'd be happy.

reddenbacher
06-17-2009, 16:34
try a hubba hubba.you may have room to breathe.

reddenbacher
06-17-2009, 16:35
by the way you are not too heavy for a hammock.an hh can handle you just fine

skinewmexico
06-17-2009, 16:42
I'd look at an REI Quarterdome T2, or maybe something from Tarptent.

Jo-To
06-17-2009, 19:01
I just picked up a Big Agnes SL1 Seedhouse. I've only tried it in the yard so far,but i'm really liking it. Its my first 1 man,and like you i was looking at the Spitfire and REI T2. After setting up 3 different tents in the store,laying in them,bringing a pack in,etc I liked the room I had in the SL1. And to boot it was $249.95!

p.s. i'm 5'10 235lbs and i seemed to have plenty of room to move around.Plus the 2.9 lbs that it weighs in at helped in my decision too.

ChinMusic
06-17-2009, 19:05
Consider the Lunar Duo. It is $25 over your stated budget but it is light and VERY roomy. It is labeled as a 2-person tent but many folks use it as a solo. At around 2.5 pounds it is worth a look.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/images/LunarDuoOpen.jpg

mudcap
06-17-2009, 19:18
I like the Henry Shires Squall II,plenty of room for my fat ass and my gear.

bigcranky
06-17-2009, 19:26
Also take a look at the Tarptent Double Rainbow. Two doors on the long side for better ventilation and easy entry/exit. (I didn't like the front entrance on my Squall or Rainshadow.) The Double Rainbow makes a very roomy and nice solo shelter.

In your case I would definitely buy a "2-person" tent no matter what brand or model I was looking at. I'm 6-2, 210 and that's what I do.

Franco
06-17-2009, 19:53
If you prefer a double wall tent, have a look at the Scarp 1.
44 ounces with pegs.
The floor is 32" wide and 86" long, all usable. The minimum height (at the ends) is 15". 39" high .
A 6'1" mate can sit on top of my thick Exped 7 mat and still has some space above his head.
However it is $295.
Franco

srestrepo
06-17-2009, 20:01
by the way you are not too heavy for a hammock.an hh can handle you just fine

can anyone else validate this, i've been wanting to try a hammock but i'm nervous, i dont want to bust my ass in the middle of the night because i coughed and farted and now my hammock ropes have snapped under the immense strain of such an event... any suggestions for a hammock???

NCYankee
06-17-2009, 21:14
I'll throw another vote in for the Big Agnes SL1... I'm a big guy (6'2" 220lbs) and it fits me with plenty of room to spare. I tried the tarp thing but I'm just not a single walled kinda guy.

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2009, 21:58
Consider the Lunar Duo. It is $25 over your stated budget but it is light and VERY roomy. It is labeled as a 2-person tent but many folks use it as a solo. At around 2.5 pounds it is worth a look.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/images/LunarDuoOpen.jpg

How long does it take to set it up by yourself?

Jofish
06-17-2009, 22:14
can anyone else validate this, i've been wanting to try a hammock but i'm nervous, i dont want to bust my ass in the middle of the night because i coughed and farted and now my hammock ropes have snapped under the immense strain of such an event... any suggestions for a hammock???

Take a stroll over to www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net)

The people over there are very knowledgeable and helpful. I can think of a number of hammocks that are rated to hold 400 pounds.

Check out the comparison chart of different hammocks in the thread below. For a number of the hammocks they include max weights.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7887

ShelterLeopard
06-17-2009, 22:21
Why don't you go to a store like Cabela's (which I don't like, but occasionally find useful) where they have tents that are set up already to demonstrate, and then you can get inside and lie down, and see how you like it before spending the money? I personally like my Mountain Hardware solo, but it's too heavy, so I'm also in the market for a lighter tent. And I know several hikers who carry two person tents, just because they like to stretch out or fit all of their gear inside with them. (Which you could consider, I suppose- I wouldn't, but to each his own)

ChinMusic
06-17-2009, 23:04
I do not own the Lunar Duo. I do own the Lunar Solo, which is similar in set up. I find the Lunar Solo a piece of cake to pitch.

I have friends that have switched from the Lunar Solo to the Lunar Duo for the extra room and have not regretted the move.

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2009, 23:25
Chin Music One of my regrets was a tent that took half an hour to pitch, not that you timed yourself, but could you do it in ten or fifteen?

ChinMusic
06-17-2009, 23:37
Chin Music One of my regrets was a tent that took half an hour to pitch, not that you timed yourself, but could you do it in ten or fifteen?
I could prob do the Lunar Solo in 3 minutes...guessing. But I've never been in a hurry.

I usu select the site carefully, find a spot I think I want to sleep, blow up my Air Core, place it on the ground, lay on it for awhile (nap/rest) to see if I like the feel (slope), spread out the tent over that spot, remove the Air Core, and stake out the Solo. I could skip a bunch of that and go to right to stake-out in a pinch (rain).

The set up part is a snap. The straps need to be tightened just before hitting the sack to take out some slack as the material relaxes. Forgetting to take out the slack leads to a bit of a cramped head room in the Solo. I wouldn't suspect those issues in a Duo.

I've never watched my friends closely to see the Duo set-up, but they don't seem to have any issues.

Cannibal
06-18-2009, 01:08
Yep, zero worries. There are plenty that will work for you; TrekLight, ENO, TicketToTheMoon, some Hennessys, some Warbonnets. Probably more, but I'm tired and need to go climb in my hammock for the night.

BTW, the 'ropes' won't break first. They're way stronger than the hammock fabric. So don't worry, if you get dumped it will likely be on your butt...not your head.:D

10-K
06-18-2009, 04:50

In the real world I usually have my lunar duo setup within 10 minutes from start to finish.

I could do it faster if necessary but after hiking all day I'm usually not moving around the campsite at light speed. :)

Persistent
06-18-2009, 13:07
Just a warning - essentially all the tents being discussed here are made of sil nylon or similar material. These materials are extremely flammable and I would certainly not recommend cooking inside (or even in the vestibule) of the tent. Even though we probably all have done it in a pinch, I can't stress the risks of having an open flame that close to extremely flammable materials enough.

Having said all that - I am not an small individual either. I would think you would want to stay with a side entry tent for ease of access. I have the new LightHeart tent and it is extremely roomy. It's only 26 oz. and at $235, it meets your price constraint. (www.lightheartgear.com)

srestrepo
06-18-2009, 14:27
i'm waiting to hear back from someone on here on WB to see if they'll sell me their Big Agnes SL1 for 100 bucks. hopefully i can get that and i'm still possibly looking at hammock options too, those things are just too cool looking.

mister krabs
06-18-2009, 14:43
i'm waiting to hear back from someone on here on WB to see if they'll sell me their Big Agnes SL1 for 100 bucks. hopefully i can get that and i'm still possibly looking at hammock options too, those things are just too cool looking.

You may not like that doghouse door if you're not particularly nimble.

srestrepo
06-19-2009, 00:18
You may not like that doghouse door if you're not particularly nimble.

that really sucks i've always liked how that thing looked. great weight on it too, packs down to nothing, but can deny the fact that no i'm not an olympic gymnast and i probably dont want to be struggling to get into my tent at the end of the day...

Alaskanhkr23
06-19-2009, 00:54
I hate tent's i've been using a 3 person tent its so freakin heavey,I wanna use a tarp type set up but don't like the open doors or what not

Hooch
06-19-2009, 05:50
I hate tent's i've been using a 3 person tent its so freakin heavey,I wanna use a tarp type set up but don't like the open doors or what notOne word: Hammock. :D

NCYankee
06-19-2009, 07:45
that really sucks i've always liked how that thing looked. great weight on it too, packs down to nothing, but can deny the fact that no i'm not an olympic gymnast and i probably dont want to be struggling to get into my tent at the end of the day...

I have no problem getting in and out of my SL1 and it feels bigger than some places I lived during college. It is really a great tent if you're going to be sleeping on the ground.

Tinker
06-19-2009, 08:45
A precautionary note: It may be difficult for someone over 300 lbs. to get into a Hennessy Hammock, especially the part where you turn around and sit down and the slit opening compresses against your legs until you draw them in. I imagine that the heavy duty HH hammocks have a larger opening then my UL a-sym.
For the most part my HH goes unused these days since I've switched to an open top with a bug netting over it (ENO).

mister krabs
06-19-2009, 08:55

Not saying don't get it, just put it on your list of pro/con. Some folks like doghouse doors, some prefer side, some don't care.

Red Beard
06-19-2009, 10:07
I'm in the same boat as Srestrepo, size-wize. Has anybody tried a Black Diamond HiLight? How does it hold up on a thru?

FamilyGuy
06-19-2009, 14:22
You would be way better off with an MSR Hubba instead of the SL1. The SL1 is diffcult to get into, the head room is low, and the vestibule is extremely small.

Jim Adams
06-19-2009, 17:42
You would be way better off with an MSR Hubba instead of the SL1. The SL1 is diffcult to get into, the head room is low, and the vestibule is extremely small.

Although I'm short (5'6") I am WIDE...285lbs. Try the Hubba. Yes, I touch both sides but they are covered by vestibles and don't let in water. I can sit up inside and even turn around inside (end to end) if needed but the best selling point for me was the HUGE side door...easy in / easy out which at 56 y/o gets harder every year. Set-up is less than 5 minutes total. Got mine in great used condition on ebay for $112.

geek

10-K
06-19-2009, 17:53
I just want to say that the SMD Lunar Duo is an absolutely perfect tent for 1 person, regardless of the size of the occupant.

It weighs 2 lbs and has a boatload of room and 2 vestibules big enough to be useful. My wife and I both slept in my Duo this past week and there was room enough for us, both our packs, boots and everything inside the tent with room to spare. (I'm 6'3, 180 lbs, shes 5'4, 110 lbs) When I'm by myself I don't even use half the space.

I don't know how much the SL-1 or the Hubba weigh but if it's close to 2 lbs go for the Duo instead.

lvleph
06-19-2009, 20:36
I would say the double rainbow. It takes me less than 1 minute by myself. Only one pole and 6 stakes needed. Weighs 2.5 pounds.