PDA

View Full Version : Internal frame packs

El Toro '94
06-17-2009, 20:38
What are the advantages of internal frames? I've hiked with both, and other than stability, I can't see any. My Kelty was the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. On my thru, it made carrying 30-35 lbs seem like next to nothing. It seemed the shoulder straps were there to keep the pack from falling off of my back, with the hipbelt carrying most of the load as it's supposed to. The weight on my internal just seems to hang off of my shoulders, with very little seemingly transferred to the hips. I've tried every different loading and adjusting strategery I can think of, yet it still feels like carrying an overloaded daypack. Is this common, or is it just me?This is not intended to start a flame war, just a discussion on the pros n cons of internals.

SmokyMtn Hiker
06-17-2009, 21:07
I have a Kelty internal frame and I have the same problem. I cannot seem to get the weight off of my sholders and onto my waist. I done 6 days in the GSMNP and had pimple looking sores on my sholders for days. I could use some advice on this subject also.

El Toro '94
06-17-2009, 21:19
Just to clarify, my Kelty(the comfortable 1) was an external frame. It's the internal that's not comfortable.

skinewmexico
06-17-2009, 21:46
External frames are great, just not currently fashionable. But it sounds like your internal is the wrong size (torso too short).

Mango
06-17-2009, 22:18
I think the advantages of IFP are lower weight and riding closer to your body, for greater balance and stability. Advantages of Ext. FP's are greater capacity, ability to carry more weight without tearing apart, cooler (since they ride away from your back), and these days, cheaper. I too thru'ed with an external - a circa 1975 Kelty Tioga. The bag is coming apart but the frame, with shoulder straps and hipbelt, are in good shape and fit well. I'm planning to do the PCT next year and am debating whether to get a new bag for the ext. frame or buy a new internal. I look forward to seeing the responses on this thread.
Mango

srestrepo
06-17-2009, 22:46
hey mango if you're looking for an external frame, i have an old REI Trekker wonderland that my mother bought me when i was a boyscout. of course i dont use it anymore but since you seem to like them so much i'd be willing to sell it to you. the bag is in mint condition. no rips, no tears, all of the pins are on the frame and the frame only has the small scratches in it. i've only used the bag twice and to be honest with youi just dont like it. let me know if you're interested, i'm sure that i can make it worth your while. thanks.

garlic08
06-18-2009, 10:31
I remember when internal frames were recommended for climbers, skiers or other bushwhacking types, as a solution to the frame poles getting caught in vegetation, banging on trees, etc. They were more streamlined to the body, lower center of gravity--a great solution for ski touring. Then I think they gained some "sex appeal", maybe because the "serious" backcountry travelers used them. If you used an internal frame, you must be a serious climber, etc. It was extra cool if you had a couple carabiners hanging from loops, so extra loops became cool....

So now you see hikers straight out of REI or EMS, who have never climbed a boulder, sporting expensive accessories (Nalgenes, Crocs) hanging from carabiners, even small carabiners for keys, flashlights...all in fashion, and all hanging from a very expensive internal frame pack, all of which will never see the original intended use!

NCYankee
06-18-2009, 10:50
This is an interesting topic. On my first extended trip (30 days in Penn 16 years ago), I carried an external kelty. I didn’t know any better and it did a great job. A year later I did a 30 day Outwardbound type camp in the CO mountains and carried an internal. Since then I have only worn internals. I rationalize it as being more comfortable and moving better with my body but every time we take someone new hiking and we try on a variety of packs on them they always seem to choose either my old external frame kelty or the 15 year old Peak One (Coleman) plastic frame external pack (my brother in law carried this on our GA->NC hike).

External frames do a great job, but I think the truth is just like in boots to trail runners, it comes down to fashion. When you look on the trail you see people carrying internals and most of the major companies manufacture internals. It is what is currently in style.

I’m not saying that they aren’t better or worse, in fact, I have several internal frames and that is what I prefer, but I am curious if an external would accomplish the exact same thing. Now, give me an external frame pack at under 2lbs and I’m pretty sold J

LockJaww
06-18-2009, 11:10
I'll stick with my external thank you. I prefer the way that an external rides...I prefer the way that the weight is carried on my hips instead of the feeling that it's just hanging off of my shoulders ..I prefer the organizational convenience of external pockets .