PDA

View Full Version : Aether 60 vs. Z-Pack

The Will
07-02-2004, 19:04
I recently purchased an Osprey Aether 60 and though the purchase has been made I have yet to remove the tags and am still looking at/shopping for other packs that are in the same weight/capacity arena.

Of particular interest is the new Gregory Z-Pack. I will be able to do a side-by-side comparison of the two very shortly, but was curious to know if anyone else had experience with either pack (or similiar pack) or was, as I am, currently comparing the two.

All thoughts would be appreciated.

The Will
MEGA '97

stranger
07-03-2004, 07:11
Personally I would recommend a Gregory over an Osprey anyday but have heard plenty of complaints about the ultra-light designs recently built by Gregory. The durability factor of the ultra-lights by Gregory seem to be the main concern for most people.

However, in my experience I would still recommend a Gregory, maybe not a Z pack though. Use your judgement, after all it's your hike.

Kerosene
07-03-2004, 10:47
I would point you to the following backpacks:

ULA Fusion: http://www.ula-equipment.com/fusion.htm

Granite Gear Vapor Trail: http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_trail/index.shtml

Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone: http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbus_ozone/index.shtml

I looked at this class of packs last summer. I ended up going with the Nimbus Ozone since I wanted a little better high-end load-carrying capacity just in case, and I've been very satisfied (here's a review I posted: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3235). The ULA Fusion is new for 2004 and I believe is worth a serious look. A lot of WhiteBlaze registrants and thru-hikers swear by the Aether 60 also.

GolfHiker
07-04-2004, 18:52
I first purchased the Zpack, used it one night. Attempted to go for a routine 3 nighter, and found I just could not get everything in I typically needed. It felt fine, and was priced okay, but I guess I just preferred a pack with slightly more capacity. Well, I went out & bought the Osprey 60, and it's absolutely perfect. Fits well, feels comfortable, carries 30-35 very nicely, and looks sharp! I am 6' 1" and got the large torso, so go from there. This is my first Osprey & I think it will be just fine. Live & learn!

Chip
07-04-2004, 19:34
I own an Camp Trails Wilderness, internal, weight 5lbs., 13oz., 5830 cu. in. and a Kelty Continental Divide, external, 6lbs., 12oz., 5300 cu. in. I have used these packs for hikes lastings longer than 2 weeks.

I am about to try out a Eureka Getaway 3900, weight is 3lb. 7 oz. Also using a tarp, 2 lbs. instead of a tent and a light weight sleping bag 1lb. This gear set up will be to hike lighter for short section hikes up to 2 weeks. It just might work for longer sections as well. Will no more once I give it a try.

Will let you know how this pack works out (internal frame).:-?

Happy Trails,
Chip :)

Jack Tarlin
07-05-2004, 18:55
The Gregory is OK as long as you're absolutely disciplined about not abusing the weight specs. If you do, the pack will disintegrate, and quickly.

This is essentially a nylon sack. There is virtually no suspension, support, durability.

In Hot Springs for a month this spring, I saw at least a dozen folks with blown out "lightweight" packs, of which the Z-pack was the most common.

Most folks switched out and replaced their packs to either a Granite Gear (Ozone or Vapor Trail), a Mountainsmith, or an Osprey.

I saw nobody with a blown out pack switch out TO a Gregory Z-Pack.

Belew
07-05-2004, 20:36
I went to buy a Z-pack a few months ago. I had all my gear with me and a 5 day supply of food to see how it might fit. I only carry what I need other than my camra. As soon as I saw it I knew it was to small. I bought the Aether 60 and I really like it. I have a little extra room in the top but I guess that will fill up in the winter. All it needs is another pocket on the outside, but it seems they all do.undefined

jdubs74
07-10-2004, 12:36
the will

I just got back from a little section hike(85 miles) in PA. First time I had the chance to use the aether 60. I was impressed with it. I usually carried around 25 lbs. I also loaded it up to around 40 - i carried some beers out of town for some thru's. When I got done, I didn't have any hip/shoulder pain. The pack rode really well. I ditched the top pocket right away. The pack has plenty of room- the outside pockets also hold a lot. The osprey is a solid pack that will haul loads if you need it. If you want to be ultralight, I think it's too big. I also wore a granite gear ozone for a little while- very sweet pack with a much different feel from the osprey. later--------------jdubs

Bear Magnet
07-12-2004, 09:52
I tried out the Ozone and the Aether 60 on Saturday-brought in all my gear to the outfitter where I worked, put all my stuff in both packs plus 10 pounds of food, and I decided I liked the Ozone better.

It seemed to fit my stuff a bit better than the Osprey. Both packs felt pretty good walking around the store, and I would have no problem recommending an Osprey to anyone (I hiked last year with a Osprey Crescent 75, which is a great pack, just too big for the AT). The Ozone just felt a bit better to me.

I haven't gotten the back yet (I am pro-dealing it) but when I do I will post a review.

Bear Magnet
Jonathan Amato