PDA

View Full Version : GA Campsites

stranger
06-17-2009, 23:03
Hey, just thinking about campsites just north of Neels Gap, there's one at Bull Gap and a few along that section isn't there? Within 3-4 after leaving Neels Gap?

scope
06-17-2009, 23:11
There is literally a campsite or two about every mile or so. But, I think camping is prohibited in that section right now? If so, summer foliage has probably overtaken some spots more so than it normally would.

Dances with Mice
06-17-2009, 23:12
There is literally a campsite or two about every mile or so. But, I think camping is prohibited in that section right now? If so, summer foliage has probably overtaken some spots more so than it normally would.Section is open for camping.

stranger
06-18-2009, 02:13
Was it closed? Why? Let me guess, bears?

Dances with Mice
06-18-2009, 05:22
Was it closed? Why? Let me guess, bears?
Early Spring a bear was foraging food from campers and getting really good at it. Section was closed for camping, it has reopened. There are campsites at Bull Gap, Cowrock and several other places where you can throw down a tent.

Ox97GaMe
06-18-2009, 10:48
There a couple of campsites that are used frequently by hikers. There are no restrictions on where you can set up a tent anywhere along the AT in Georgia. Anywhere flat can be used for tenting as long as you practice Leave No Trace principles. This means no new fire rings, no cutting trees or brush to set up the tent, and try not to disturb too much of the foliage while you are camped there.

your bigger issue will be water in the section. Most folks dont like to camp away from water sources, and there are only 2 semi-reliable sources of water in that stretch, especially during the hot summer months. Both of those water sources have places to camp nearby.

MoBill122
06-18-2009, 11:15
Walked the Blood Mtn Loop two weeks ago and met some campers at Blood Shelter that said the bear was there that night. Don't know why people insist on camping there, when they know the bear frequents that shelter a lot.

Ox97GaMe
06-18-2009, 11:54
Is that a retorical question, Bill????

A lot of folks go there because there IS a bear that fequents the site. They want to see a bear, get a picture of a bear, and tell all their friends bear stories. It is the same reason many of the 6 million visitors come to the Smokies every year.

max patch
06-18-2009, 12:21
Walked the Blood Mtn Loop two weeks ago and met some campers at Blood Shelter that said the bear was there that night. Don't know why people insist on camping there, when they know the bear frequents that shelter a lot.

Because the view from the rocks is pretty awesome; much better experience than the the campsites on the south side of blood or the hostel on the north side.

jesse
06-18-2009, 12:39
isn't water scarce, or non-existent in that section?

bigmac_in
06-18-2009, 14:22
I'd highly recommend camping on at Cowrock mtn., unless you are scared by coyotes.