PDA

View Full Version : Waterfalls in North Georgia???

dan8794
06-18-2009, 07:44
Sorry, this is a re-post, but I think I may have categorized it wrong. Hopefully I'll get some responses here!!!

Hey guys,

I'm about to hit the trail for a few days. We'll be going from Dicks Creek to Neels Gap. I was curious if anyone knew of any waterfalls or watering holes along the route? I know there are streams and what not, as shown on the maps, but I was looking for anything more substantial. I went from Neels to Amicalola a while back and came across a few nice waterfalls. I'd like to experience the same on this upcoming trip. Thanks!!

Tennessee Viking
06-18-2009, 10:12
A lot of the trail is ridge top. But you can find most waterfalls further down the mountain. There are quite a few waterfalls below Hogpen and Neels Gaps around the Cleveland & Helen areas. A lot of the side trails will lead down to them. But the only famous waterfalls on trail in Georgia that I know of are at Three Forks and Amnicola.

ChinMusic
06-18-2009, 10:48
Here is a pic of Long Creek Falls just a stones throw off the early AT.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/AT/LongCreekFalls.jpg

edit: Sorry this is not north of Neels. I didn't read your whole post first.

Jack Tarlin
06-18-2009, 10:56
ChinMusic:

What a beautiful photo!

MoBill122
06-18-2009, 11:10
There are water falls all over Georgia, but along that section of trail I don't recollect anything really nice. Well,,, if you mean, something within a mile of the trail.

You have Helton Creek Falls, about a mile north of Neels, if you wanted to see that before you hit the trail.

These are all within 5 miles of Unicol Gap..an easy drive, but rather a distance to bushwack across to from the AT
Horse Trough Falls is west of Unicol Gap.
High Shoal Falls and Blue Hole Falls are both NE of Unicol Gap.
Annie Ruby Falls is SE of Unicol Gap.

There are a number of falls southeast of Neel's.... Blood Mtn Creek has several and Waters Creek has some nice shoals.

If you want to know anything more just send me an email.

Hoop
06-18-2009, 13:05
At Unicoi State Park you can either hike or drive to Anna Ruby Falls.

Tennessee Viking
06-18-2009, 16:22
Raven Rock

bloodmountainman
06-18-2009, 17:01
Raven Cliff falls. The water source at Hogpen Gap is the begining of Dodd Creek. From the AT this is a bushwhack down the mountain following the branch or spring. This can be a dangerous desent because it will lead to the top of the cliffs. There are some places in these hills where you can actually fall and become seriously injured (or worse!)

dan8794
06-19-2009, 17:57
Haha....I was looking at the photo and was thinking "That looks so damn familiar". Then I read your edit, I stopped off for a nice little lunch/swim on a Neels->Amicalola hike late last year.

Beautful waterfall indeed.

Hikes in Rain
06-20-2009, 08:36
Rabun County. It''s off the trail, but Clayton is a nice town. That county has many, many falls! It's like they collected them all for themselves.

Dances with Mice
06-20-2009, 08:49
Raven Cliff falls. The water source at Hogpen Gap is the begining of Dodd Creek. From the AT this is a bushwhack down the mountain following the branch or spring. This can be a dangerous desent because it will lead to the top of the cliffs. There are some places in these hills where you can actually fall and become seriously injured (or worse!)You could get trapped in the Rhododendron Thicket of Death!

FatMan
06-20-2009, 08:51
De Soto Falls are just a short drive a couple miles south on US19/129 from Neels Gap.

RAT
06-22-2009, 02:30
If you are going near Clayton Ga might as well see the best that area has to offer and go to Black Rock Mountain State Park and Tellulah Gorge, so many different falls there its breathtaking. You can see them all here: http://www.trailstealth.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=26 . (http://www.trailstealth.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=26)

If ya want to see some falls, when ya get near Erwin look us up, there are more falls around here than you could ever go to in one lifetime all not too far from the trail.You can check them out here: http://www.trailstealth.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=17 (and this is nowhere near all of them)

HAIRNT !

RAT

LimpsAlong
09-01-2009, 09:50
Gonna make the Springer to Neels trip in sept. I want to see all that is worth seeing within 1 mile of the trail. Since you have made the trip I was hoping to get your input.
Thanks in advance.

mountain monkey
09-16-2009, 04:07
Raven Cliff falls. The water source at Hogpen Gap is the begining of Dodd Creek. From the AT this is a bushwhack down the mountain following the branch or spring. This can be a dangerous desent because it will lead to the top of the cliffs. There are some places in these hills where you can actually fall and become seriously injured (or worse!)

so... if i wanted to hike the raven cliffs trail i could follow the spring at the top of the cliffs up to the A.T.?

Hikes in Rain
09-16-2009, 05:17
First, though, you gotta get up the cliffs! Not recommended. Disallowed.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Lee%20Marchman/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Georgia%20Mountains%206.5.07/Raven%20Cliffs/IM000039.JPG

mountain monkey
09-16-2009, 14:37
oh i see... is it really not allowed? Me and my pops hiked the trail a while back and we got to the cliffs and wondered if you could get up them somehow so right as we start heading back a group of kids comes walking up and start heading up the hill beside the cliffs and up them. once we see them up there we decide to give it a shot. the scramble up wasnt that bad(very cool scrambling up the tree root system)but yeah we made it up fairly easy. Then on the way down i just barely slipped and my thumb pretty much caught me on another rock and just ripped it open. so the hike down was for sure a grand time... bleeding and freezing because it was starting to get dark and i was in shorts and tee. haha great times, right?

GeneralLee10
09-16-2009, 15:06
Here is a pic of Long Creek Falls just a stones throw off the early AT.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/AT/LongCreekFalls.jpg

edit: Sorry this is not north of Neels. I didn't read your whole post first.

This was a nice place to chill:cool: for a few. The water was nice and cold, very nice pic!