PDA

View Full Version : Some Sad News

Jack Tarlin
06-18-2009, 10:41
Some of you might remember something I posted late last year. It was a story about a little girl from Pennsylvania with a brain tumor who wanted to get lots of Christmas cards. Well, her story got picked up by the media, and she ended up getting over 170,000 cards and good wishes from folks all over the world. Thousands of them came from service people in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hannah Garman, 5, of Lititz, PA. died on Tuesday night.

I know there are a bunch of Whiteblaze folks who took a few minutes at a very busy time of the year and sent Hannah a card last Christmas. I just wanted to thank them, it was a nice thing to do.

Lyle
06-18-2009, 11:02
Thanks for passing this on Jack.

Most of our own personal problems, concerns and silly arguments don't seem very important anymore when we are reminded of things like this.

Condolences to her family and friends.

peanuts
06-18-2009, 12:55
my condolences to the family...

thanks jack.

jersey joe
06-18-2009, 13:33
Sad news indeed...

cowboy nichols
06-18-2009, 13:54
My deepest sympathy and prayers for her family.

mweinstone
06-18-2009, 15:22
hannah was a fighter and a thinker and a feeler. three good atributes we can all carry away as a gift from her and those in her boots. jack, your heart is gold.

RAT
06-22-2009, 03:09
I missed that previous post but thanks for sharing that with us Jack. My heart goes out to her and the family. Anytime I feel like things are going really badly for me or those I love, I don't have to look very far to see that we really have it made, always someone else got it so much worse.

PS (i sent you a PM here and you have not replied. Please email me asap as I have something urgent to speak with you about)

Thanks,
RAT

Tinker
06-24-2009, 23:32
Very sad news, Jack, but thanks for posting this. I'm sure the cards she recieved made her happy for a time. Life is too short for all of us, unfortunately, for Hannah it was so very brief. My heart goes out to her family.

rootball
06-25-2009, 19:54
I had forgotten about the Christmas cards. I did and do care. But distant tragedies seem to be replaced by thoughts of my own life and family. I feel very sad for the parents and family. Thanks you for the update.

kythruhiker
06-28-2009, 03:13
Very sad news Jack, thank you for the update. She is blessed that she got so many responses and I'm sure they made her smile.

As of November 2008, my father was diagnosed with a Grade IV Glioblastoma Multiforme brain cancer. It is terminal and the docs gave him around 9 months to live. We are rapidly approaching that point, and he is denegerating everyday to the point where he has lost 95% of his ability to walk. It is a sad sad thing to watch, and most certainly the most difficult obstacle put in front of me in this life. (I curse God or WHOMEVER daily).

I don't post this for cards, or sympathy, but to let folks know - GO HIKE NOW DAMMIT. My father worked his entire life as a carpenter, non-stop, to provide for his family. He worked that hard so he could retire and enjoy life...just as soon as he reached retirement age - welcome brain cancer, which has taken away his ability to do much of anything at this point. So please...go hike...just do it. Don't have any regrets...don't save it up..just figure it out and go do it.

My father and I had many differences...primarily that one should work hard until retirement age, THEN go enjoy the spoils of his labor. My believes were to work hard BUT enjoy life whenever and wherever one got the chance. Our differences do not matter now - but I still encourage folks to go enjoy it "while they've got it". You never know when you won't be able to finish that bucket list :(

All the best,
Ed "Ky Thru"

Del Q
06-28-2009, 08:58
Tough one Jack. Inspirational leadership by you. My son has been ill with Cancer and other ailments for 4 years, he has pulled me up a LOT of tough hills. Last week he went to the movies without his walker, that was a great day. The little things. I continue to try and draw strength from these horrors. Kids should not get sick!

Homer&Marje
06-28-2009, 09:15
Sad story Jack, Sounds like a lot was done for this little girl and wish I had seen the original thread....we would have been glad to send a card. As Marje has a brain tumor I can definitely sympathize with the family. Cancer is a modern tragedy for those affected by it. Marje has a hemangioblastoma in her brain, thankfully very small and has not changed size since we started tracking it with MRI but we are more concerned with her "one of a kind" pancreas that could produce very deadly pheochromacytomas.

Not to digress to our own issues, all the best for the fa,ily and friends of Hannah, life is cut too short, all too often. As an above poster said, live your life and stop worrying about the future because all too often you don't get one. Live today, never tomorrow for today is the last day you truly own.