PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry.com

Lyle
06-18-2009, 11:35
I seem to remember having read some negative comments about the service from Backcountry.com at some point in the past. I did a search, but could not find the comments, so decided to just start a new thread.

I very recently was looking to purchase a thank-you gift for someone. She is a very petite hiker, so I was looking for a Woman's small MicroPuff or Thermawrap vest. Choices were very limited. I did find one in an acceptable color at Backcountry.com. I was quite hesitant to make the purchase because of the negative comments I remembered. I did, however, place the order (on sale :D), and received the vest within the stated time. I then packed it up and mailed it to the actual recipient with a card. When she received the vest it turned out too small, so she contacted Backcountry.com about exchanging it. She told me they were extremely helpful, gave her a return authorization and took the information about what size/color she would like in exchange. She explained that it had been a gift, and requested that they send the new item directly to her - no problem.

Since I was the original purchaser, they notified me immediately when they authorized the return, when they received the returned vest, and when they shipped the replacement. This was the amazing part. The time lapse was just a matter of a few hours from when I got the notification that they had received the returned vest and when I received notification that the replacement had shipped, complete with tracking info.

Sorry for the long post, but this has been SUPERB customer service - couldn't have asked for, let alone expected, anything better. Because of my initial hesitency to order based on other comments I had read, I just wanted to put a positive post up about Backcountry.com. I will not hesitate to purchase from them in the future.

Chowder
06-18-2009, 12:01
I have purchased a few items from backcountry.com and have had good experiences with them. I even snagged a few great deals through SAC (steepandcheap.com) which is an extension site of backcountry. My returns have been successfully processed as well. It's a reliable site in IMO.

boarstone
06-18-2009, 12:25
A lot of hiking clothes I find are running very small...no matter where you order them, when ordering for gifts, a gift card is the best way to go....

10-K
06-18-2009, 12:27
backcountry.com is my first stop when I'm looking for something hiking related online. Most of the time I don't go any further.

I like the free shipping on orders over $50 too.

mrmuddy1
06-18-2009, 19:45
And . they have a " return policy" that is close to REI's :sun

srestrepo
06-18-2009, 22:16
i actually bought the last pair of vasque gtx sundowner classics that were still made in italy a while back. those people are awesome...

STICK
06-28-2009, 00:20
I have made a few purchases from Backcountry (just got one in Thursday!) and they have always been real helpful on the front end when looking for particular items and on the back end. I ordered a jacket for my son and when we got it, it was to long in the sleeves (which we thought it would be) so we got back in touch with them and returned it, no questions. We ordered a replacement which was a completly different jacket and recieved it quickly. Very happy with Backcountry! Only wish i had another sticker for my car, I wrecked the last car that had one on it so I gotta get another!!

greentick
06-28-2009, 00:35
Only positive experiences here too. A couple of BC purchases but mostly SAC. I recently noticed their return policy as well but have not had to send anything back other than wrong sized stuff. Shipping has always been prompt.

Dogwood
06-28-2009, 18:48
I have experienced nothing but extremely positive customer service everytime I have dealt with buying or returning gear from Backcountry.com. They have always dealt with me with the utmost professional courtesy. Excellent warranty and return policy!

Lyle
06-28-2009, 21:30
I'm beginning to wonder if the negative comments I had remembered reading were figments of my imagination. Or maybe they weren't about Backcountry.com at all, maybe a different company. :o

Anyway, consensus seems obvious, Backcountry.com is a good company, with very good customer service.

skinewmexico
06-29-2009, 01:04
Had good luck with them, and have ordered a ton from SAC.

Arizona
06-29-2009, 15:54
Backcountry.com rotates almost all of their gear through steepandcheap.com at significantly lower prices. I have never bought anything through Backcountry, but have bought lots through steepandcheap.com at about a 50 percent discount. Steepandcheap has always shipped the equipment fairly fast, and I have no complaints with their service.

FritztheCat
06-29-2009, 21:59
I've ordered a couple of things through Backcountry.com and never had a problem. Orders show up in a timely manner and the products are exactly as described. Works for me!

SARdaddy
07-01-2009, 11:41
I have always had a good experience with them

Blissful
07-01-2009, 11:50
They match prices too. (did on my montbell hugger)

Superb company.