PDA

View Full Version : Washing Tyvek...

Yukon
06-18-2009, 11:47
I have heard of guys washing Tyvek to make it softer and quieter...so just throw it in the washing machine or what?

Hooch
06-18-2009, 11:51
Yep (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32927&highlight=washing+tyvek), pretty much.

fiddlehead
06-18-2009, 11:57
Yeah, just wash it. No soap needed.
I believe it does take some of the life out of it.
Tyvek does eventually wear out and if you want it to last more the whole thru-hike, I wouldn't wash it. (maybe once only?)

Yukon
06-18-2009, 11:59
I just plan on using a sheet of it for my End-to-End of the LT, so it only has to last 25 days max. So no detergent needed eh? Anyone have experience on how long it should be in the wash for? It's only a small sheet for a BA Emerald Mountain SL1...

Yukon
06-18-2009, 12:00
Yep (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32927&highlight=washing+tyvek), pretty much.

Ok, just caught your link Hooch...thanks man :)

Persistent
06-18-2009, 12:06
Wash it in cold water. The washing is pretty much only to take the crinkles (sp?) out of it. It will last longer than your month long trip.

Persistent
06-18-2009, 12:09
Sorry, Forgot to add that you can do it on short cycle or quick wash!

hurryinghoosier
06-18-2009, 12:50
Just got off the trail in PA because my wife is ill. I used Tyvek as a ground cloth and every time in the shelter under my sleeping bag. Worked great. I washed mine 4 times before leaving to make it soft. No soap added.

MoBill122
06-18-2009, 18:08
I bought a roll of " soft " tyvek... the stuff they make painter's suit..scrub suits, etc out of. Washed it one time.... NO SOAP ! Works great. !

Just wish it came in colors.... made a rain cover for pack... and a tarp for hammock. Wife sewed it with sewing machine, and I used seam sealer everywhere. So if you walk into a camp with white tyvek everywhere, thats probably me ! LOL

But after all that..... I have yet to be in a storm !

Snowleopard
06-18-2009, 19:01
I bought a roll of " soft " tyvek... the stuff they make painter's suit..scrub suits, etc out of. Washed it one time.... NO SOAP ! Works great. !

Just wish it came in colors.... made a rain cover for pack... and a tarp for hammock. Wife sewed it with sewing machine, and I used seam sealer everywhere. So if you walk into a camp with white tyvek everywhere, thats probably me ! LOL

But after all that..... I have yet to be in a storm !
http://questoutfitters.com/fabric%20lightweight.htm#Lightweight Items
Quest outfitters sells 'soft' tyvek by the yard. This is definitely the stuff to use for clothing. For a tent footprint, probably both kinds work fine. I'm curious how well it works as a tarp. Mobill, let us know after you've survived a downpour. If you have no downpours where you are just come to New England :mad:

Panzer1
06-18-2009, 19:38
I saw Tyvek at Lowes. Ity comes in rolls 3 feet by 100 feet. I think it was $40.

Panzer

vonfrick
06-18-2009, 19:47
Ok, just caught your link Hooch...thanks man :)

hahahaha...that was funny. i had asked the exact same question. i cut mine to fit my tent, finished the edges and added grommets at key points. using hair elastics they hook around through the poles on my tent to stay in place, and i can pick the whole thing up by the pole and shake off any water in the morning.

kayak karl
06-18-2009, 19:59
I saw Tyvek at Lowes. Ity comes in rolls 3 feet by 100 feet. I think it was $40.

Panzer
if it doesn't say TYVEK it will not wash or soften up. the house wrap that says HOME DEPOT or LOWES is crap. for camping AND houses

mudcap
06-18-2009, 20:57
if it doesn't say TYVEK it will not wash or soften up. the house wrap that says HOME DEPOT or LOWES is crap. for camping AND houses

Ditto... I agree w/ Karl 100%

Panzer1
06-18-2009, 21:47

Yea, they had that Lowes crap there too. It was cheaper.

Panzer

Pokey2006
06-19-2009, 01:07
I've had to put mine through a couple of cycles to soften it up sufficiently. I've even added a little fabric softener, with no apparent harm.

STICK
06-28-2009, 00:14
I didnt wash mine, and I didnt need to, after a few uses itll begin to soften up and the crinkly sound will go away to.

skinewmexico
06-28-2009, 02:19
I thought Tyvek could be dyed.

Allen1901
06-28-2009, 11:00
You can Dye Tyvek. The House wrap stuff doesn't get as dark as the dye though. The softer clothing type dyes better. You can paint Tyvek too. Artists use it as a canvas.

You can also soften Tyvek in the dryer. Use No heat and add tennis balls.

Cheers!

Dogwood
06-28-2009, 18:51
Cold water on short wash cycle is all that's usually needed. Don't dry too long on high heat or it starts to shrink.