PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic just for thru-hikers?

Lemni Skate
06-18-2009, 16:51
This is something I'm not sure of the protocol for.

In my section of Virginia on many occasions I have come upon coolers of "trail magic." They generally have a note with them stating it is trail magic.

I never take any except one time when I actually ran into the guy who left it and he told me to take what I wanted.

I always assumed it was for thru-hikers only and a couple of times when my kids came up on it they were disappointed when I wouldn't let them take any.

I think I got the idea that it was only for thru-hikers when I saw a sign on one that said, "for thru-hikers only."

On my last section hike one of the thru hikers (Miss Muster) told me that was BS, that anybody doing a long hike should take it.

What is the protocol for this?

I would guess that trail magic is probably intended for anyone doing a long hike unless the note says otherwise. Personally, I would never take any if I was just on a day hike or an overnighter unless I was really in NEED of it (dehydrated or something). I just wondered if there are any unwritten rules on this.

Bearpaw
06-18-2009, 16:54
Folks can give to others as they choose.

I'm pretty sure there's no manual for trail magic rules.

Cannibal
06-18-2009, 16:58
Magic is magic. I bet section hikers get thirsty too.
Some do say "for thru-hikers only" and I guess that is their prerogative, but in my book a hiker is a hiker. Some just smell worse than others.

The Mechanical Man
06-18-2009, 17:11

In my section of Virginia on many occasions I have come upon coolers of "trail magic." They generally have a note with them stating it is trail magic.

I never take any except one time when I actually ran into the guy who left it and he told me to take what I wanted.

I always assumed it was for thru-hikers only and a couple of times when my kids came up on it they were disappointed when I wouldn't let them take any.

I think I got the idea that it was only for thru-hikers when I saw a sign on one that said, "for thru-hikers only."

On my last section hike one of the thru hikers (Miss Muster) told me that was BS, that anybody doing a long hike should take it.

I would guess that trail magic is probably intended for anyone doing a long hike unless the note says otherwise. Personally, I would never take any if I was just on a day hike or an overnighter unless I was really in NEED of it (dehydrated or something). I just wondered if there are any unwritten rules on this.

Take It.

And I don't mean take a drink, I mean remove the entire cooler from the trail, and dispose of it. I know alot of folks may disagree with this, I am just a messenger and a trail maintainer, I don't make up the rules-suggestions.

The ATC does, see.......... http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4806037/k.903F/Trail_Magic.htm

The following is from the ATC list for providing trail magic........
See... http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/Trail%20Magic%20Suggestions8-3-07.pdf

Be present if you provide food or drink

. Unattended items—including their packaging—can harm wildlife that consumes them, or hikers, when unrefrigerated products grow bacteria or become contaminated. Unattended items are considered litter and their presence detracts from the wildland character of backcountry environments. Dispense food and drink in person, and carry out any trash or leftovers.

snowhoe
06-18-2009, 17:13
Well I dont think that there is any rules to taking it or not taking it. If you feel bad then do some trail magic yourself that way when you see some trail magic on your next section and you want to take a drink or what ever it is you wont feel as bad. Help others and it will help you.

The Mechanical Man
06-18-2009, 17:26
Well I dont think that there is any rules to taking it or not taking it. If you feel bad then do some trail magic yourself that way when you see some trail magic on your next section and you want to take a drink or what ever it is you wont feel as bad. Help others and it will help you.

Wrong answer,...... see last post. :D

TD55
06-18-2009, 17:36
I'm pretty sure there's no manual for trail magic rules.

.........................:welcomeTRAIL MAGIC RULE MANUAL:welcome................
----------------------------------by----------------------------------'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''':banana'''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''

Cannibal
06-18-2009, 17:42
Hey The Mechanical Man, are you the one with the dome house and the kid that likes to jump over hikers on his bike? If so, thanks for the great stay in 08!

Now then, I didn't see any 'rules' in the links you provided. There were some 'suggestions' in the second link, but no rules. You are a maintainer and know better than I do, but don't most Trail Angels come back for their coolers? I know most folks I hiked with in 08 sat down and enjoyed the drink. Which meant the empties went back into the cooler and not discarded somewhere down the Trail.

Are you advocating no unmanned Trail Magic, or no Trail Magic period?

warraghiyagey
06-18-2009, 18:04
Take whatever's left. . . even if it appears that it's a brand new stash. . . :):D

warraghiyagey
06-18-2009, 18:05
Take whatever's left. . . even if it appears that it's a brand new stash. . . :):D
That goes under the 'Finders Keepers' rule. . . :banana:D:sun

snowhoe
06-18-2009, 18:57
Wrong answer,...... see last post. :D

I read it and I didnt see any "rules" about taking or not taking trail magic. Hey congrats on being a trail maintainer. You dont have to be a jerk though:)

warraghiyagey
06-18-2009, 19:03
I read it and I didnt see any "rules" about taking or not taking trail magic. Hey congrats on being a trail maintainer. You dont have to be a jerk though:)
You haven't dealt with Mechanical Man yet much have you. . . . you are a blessed soul. . . :)

RITBlake
06-18-2009, 19:03
If I was section hiking and I found a cooler full of sodas with a sign that said "thru hikers only" I would gladly stop, open the cooler, and crack open a cold soda.

snowhoe
06-18-2009, 19:08
You haven't dealt with Mechanical Man yet much have you. . . . you are a blessed soul. . . :)

After getting a pm from alligator about my attitude I have tried to calm it down though. Thank goodness metalic man is a trail maintainer because I heard that if he wasnt there to enforce the rules that the trail would be shut down and the ATC wouldnt know what to do.

warraghiyagey
06-18-2009, 19:08
If I was section hiking and I found a cooler full of sodas with a sign that said "thru hikers only" I would gladly stop, open the cooler, and crack open a cold soda.
. . . felon . . .

River Runner
06-18-2009, 19:16
Well, technically a thru hiker is a section hiker until they complete the trail. Or, they could be termed a "potential" thru hiker. I agree with whoever said "section hikers get thirsty too". If you want to partake, do so, and try to pay it back with some sort of trail magic of your own - whether that's a few drinks you pass out, water left somewhere it's in short supply, or a ride into town or back to a trailhead. Or you could leave a buck or two in a Ziploc bag for the trail angel to use to purchase more. If they are leaving a cooler and picking it up later, it's likely that's something they do more than once.

Frosty
06-18-2009, 19:17
After getting a pm from alligator about my attitude Nothing wrong with your attitude that I read.

snowhoe
06-18-2009, 19:21
Nothing wrong with your attitude that I read.

Well thank you very much.

warraghiyagey
06-18-2009, 19:25
After getting a pm from alligator about my attitude I have tried to calm it down though. Thank goodness metalic man is a trail maintainer because I heard that if he wasnt there to in force the rules that the trail would be shut down and the ATC wouldnt know what to do.
Well, Gator's got a full plate for sure. . . I've gotten some well deserved PM's myself. . . but the Mechanical Man does post like he's god's gift to the trail and that's as repugnant and needy as it gets. . . creepy even. . .

Tin Man
06-18-2009, 19:38
Well, Gator's got a full plate for sure. . . I've gotten some well deserved PM's myself. . . but the Mechanical Man does post like he's god's gift to the trail and that's as repugnant and needy as it gets. . . creepy even. . .

yeppers, and i will be giving his place a wide berth when i get down there

Tin Man
06-18-2009, 19:40
Nothing wrong with your attitude that I read.

...there were issues after he first joined...

Well thank you very much.

...and i hope you continue to avoid the alligator... unlike others who don't quite get it

snowhoe
06-18-2009, 19:43
...there were issues after he first joined...

...and i hope you continue to avoid the alligator... unlike others who don't quite get it

To be honest you were one of the people that I had gotten a pm about. You dont scare me either bin man. I think YOU are the one who dont quite get it.

buff_jeff
06-18-2009, 19:46
Yeah, that's total BS. At any given point, most thru-hikers are only 3-4 days, tops, out of a town anyway. I think it'd be "wrong" for a day hiker to take some, but anybody out for an overnighter or more is totally justified in snagging some.

Tin Man
06-18-2009, 19:47
To be honest you were one of the people that I had gotten a pm about. You dont scare me either bin man. I think YOU are the one who dont quite get it.

no intention of scaring anyone... get a grip :)

snowhoe
06-18-2009, 19:55
no intention of scaring anyone... get a grip :)

I hate trolls, maybe you should change your name!:)

Tin Man
06-18-2009, 20:04

is that what you are? let me ask one of my troll buds. hey homer, you there babe?

jesse
06-18-2009, 20:15
unattended coolers lert in the woods is litter. Nothing magic about it.

Scrapes
06-18-2009, 20:50
"Eventually, a hiker may come to expect trail magic or may encounter it so frequently that it ceases to be meaningful. "

Sadly, when hikers become inclined to expect trail magic they are often trapped, or tranquilized and relocated to a more desolate part of the trail keeping the natural trail etiquette in balance.

warraghiyagey
06-18-2009, 20:55
unattended coolers lert in the woods is litter. Nothing magic about it.
http://www.davejenkins.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/francis.jpg

le loupe
06-18-2009, 20:55
Yeah, that's total BS. At any given point, most thru-hikers are only 3-4 days, tops, out of a town anyway. I think it'd be "wrong" for a day hiker to take some, but anybody out for an overnighter or more is totally justified in snagging some.

I agree- If i were a day hiker I wouldnt take anything. I surely wouldn't allow my kids to each take something they probably can't finish anyway. Otherwise section hiker - thru hiker, makes no difference, both are the same.

Litter is "carelessly discarded waste". As I'm sure what is being discussed is not such, similar comments are off topic (etiquette, remember) and made to provoke. Post somewhere else.

Lone Wolf
06-18-2009, 21:13

anybody leaving food/beverage at a trailhead specifically for "thru-hikers only" is an elitist A hole. the ****t should never be left unattended. ever.

Lone Wolf
06-18-2009, 21:16

one time i stopped, drank one then opened all the rest and dumped them out

dmax
06-18-2009, 21:37
If I'm at a lot with a cooler of drinks, anybody can have one. Thru hikers, section hikers, day hikers or anybody even driving by. If they need or want a drink, my cooler is open. I don't care who you are...

TD55
06-18-2009, 22:29

Why?????????

Lone Wolf
06-18-2009, 22:46
Why?????????

seemed like the thing to do

Colter
06-18-2009, 22:46

If true that was an extremely selfish thing to do. You drank one for yourself then dumped the rest out? How many people coming along behind you do you think would have supported your decision? Most would have been very angry. You made a value decision that negatively affected others. Not my idea of "hiking your own hike" or being considerate.

Alaskanhkr23
06-18-2009, 22:47
I left an entire bag full of those Backcountry pantry thing's in Mass, at the campsite before everett, I hope someone got them,they where in the bear box.

The Mechanical Man
06-18-2009, 23:08
As I said in post #4, (I know alot of folks may disagree with this, I am just a messenger of news "you didn't like to hear" and a trail maintainer).

And I knew some folks would get all TOO excited, when they saw my reply. :D

Feel free to contact the ATC and complain to them anytime if you don't like it, or better yet, just join the ATC and do some "Ultimate Trail Magic" yourself, instead of whining on and on about my posts.

warraghiyagey
06-18-2009, 23:11
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing003.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing003.gif

The Mechanical Man
06-18-2009, 23:16
Hey The Mechanical Man, are you the one with the dome house and the kid that likes to jump over hikers on his bike? If so, thanks for the great stay in 08!

Now then, I didn't see any 'rules' in the links you provided. There were some 'suggestions' in the second link, but no rules. You are a maintainer and know better than I do, but don't most Trail Angels come back for their coolers? I know most folks I hiked with in 08 sat down and enjoyed the drink. Which meant the empties went back into the cooler and not discarded somewhere down the Trail.

Are you advocating no unmanned Trail Magic, or no Trail Magic period?

Hey Cannibal, good to hear from you again, and I am glad you had a great time with us in 08. You were here on July 9th, same day as "Yazzie",........ I only hear good things from the folks that actually visit us, thanks. :banana

Here is the Blue Mountain Dome thread, please post there.... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30829

As far as the magic-trash goes, I personally agree with the ATC suggestions, NO unmanned trail magic, because in the past few years it has gotten out of control, and most angels do not come back and clean up, otherwise there wouldn't be a problem. :-?

The Mechanical Man
06-18-2009, 23:19
I left an entire bag full of those Backcountry pantry thing's in Mass, at the campsite before everett, I hope someone got them,they where in the bear box.

Did you go back later and clean up the trash? :-?

Lemni Skate
06-18-2009, 23:23
I give out a little trail magic now and then...some trail work, donated to a hiker feed, give rides, gave out sodas, beers, bananas and Snickers bars at a trail head once. So I'm taking the generally agreed upon advice, take it if you want it.

P.S. with one exception the trail magic coolers I've seen have been nice ones (not styrofoam), so I figured the person supplying was coming to get it later on.

I would let my kids(see my gallery for pictures) take trail magic if they were overnighting with me (went for 5 days last week--4 next). I just hate for them to take ALL of the beer.;)

Lemni Skate
06-18-2009, 23:30
A couple of thoughts about unattended coolers. I can see how animals would be a problem. I left a cooler out on the balcony when I stayed at Skyland once and was awakened by a raccoon helping himself(or herself) to a juice box.

Trash shouldn't be.

I would think if a hiker took something they would pack the trash out with them like usual. I also can't believe anyone who cares enough about the trail to leave trail magic would leave a cooler out there as trash.

On second thought, I can believe it. People let us down sometimes.

Man your trail magic, people!

Tin Man
06-18-2009, 23:32
leaving anything, with the exception of water when its the dry season, is dumb. hikers don't need or deserve handouts. if you want to hangout and chat, cook, or whatever, do that, but don't leave treats behind and don't discriminate between thru-hikers, section hikers, or day hikers.

Ox97GaMe
06-18-2009, 23:36
What???? Trail Maintainers arent allowed to be jerks??? When did that rule go into affect? I guess I have to stop being a maintainer, because there is always someone on WB that is telling me 'shut up, jerk'.

Next, you will be telling me that I cant be a trail angel either. :(

As a maintainer and a trail angel, I tend to agree that unattended trail magic isnt always a good thing. I get tired of cleaning up someones left over stash after it has been there a few days (or maybe weeks). I would think that a general rule of thumb should be to not leave things unattended for more than a day. That isnt 24 hrs, that is to say no later than sundown.

As a maintainer, I am also obligated to remove any unattended stash that I encounter. Since I dont know how long it has been there, or may not know whether items may still be edible, I have to assume it to be trash and discarded with the other trash that I remove from the trail.

As a hiker, I am sometimes skeptical of unattended magic. Was it left for someone specific? Are there folks in the area that are hiker unfriendly and have tainted the items? This is not to say that I havent enjoyed some unattended magic. I am just more cautious of that kind than the other kinds.

Pokey2006
06-18-2009, 23:36

That's just mean!

I always thought of trail magic as those little moments that boost you up and keep you going when you need the encouragementt the most. It doesn't have to be a cooler full of soda, or even something that another person left for you. It could be a flower appearing out of nowhere as you struggle to find the beauty on an uphill climb, a brief view of the mountains when the clouds lift just long enough for you to see, and yes, it can also be a cooler of cold beer on a hot, dry day.

Those things are there for any hiker to take -- as needed. If you need it, take it.

That said, I do avoid taking any "trail magic" when out day hiking or just on a one or two-nighter. Doing a long section hike? Sure, why not?

RITBlake
06-18-2009, 23:49

seemed like a real jerk thing to do

RAT
06-19-2009, 00:24
I just came across this thread as I was about to post one on this same subject myself. What a coincidence.
I was on my section today (Little Bald (aka Big Harry aka El Grande Chi Chi) to Spivey Gap) and once again I come down the mountain tired and worn out from slinging a weedwacker all day and what do I find ? Over 50+ store bought water bottles laying in one big ugly looking pile on the ground by the sign just before the bridge crossing and trailhead. This was done several times last year as well, except then there were empties scattered as far as the eye could see up and down the creek banks which was a real mess to clean up and pack out.

Now I will have to say that last year we were in drought conditions and most of the Springs in this area were dry and there WAS a need for this, however, if you are going to leave this magic trash UNATTENDED on my section or any section for that matter, I feel you should be back promptly and clean up your mess as I am very tired of doing it for you.
I know about trail magic having been in charge of the largest trail magic ever in one spot at Brown Gap for going on 20 years now but there should not be anything left unattended on the trail. If this is done it will be removed by the maintainers as it is just not a good idea for reasons stated throughout this thread.

Does anyone know who is leaving this mess on my trail section ? Fess up and please stop doing this esp. now as it is not needed and today was proof as there are no empties as we have had so much rain now (i got soaked today heh) that all the springs are running and creeks are out of their banks and there is 50+ full water bottles laying there on ground in a huge ugly pile that I now have to pack out.

There was such a mess last year that I had to clean up but I did take your cooler (thanks) and I will continue to do so. Please refrain from doing this anymore. I was unable to pack all those out today so I have to go back to take care of this. If anyone knows who is doing this please tell me or at least tell them to stop and explain politely why they should not do so.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Lone Wolf http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=856536#post856536)

lol,, you know Wolfie would not do that.

Lone Wolf
06-19-2009, 00:25
rat gets it

Pokey2006
06-19-2009, 00:33
To even THINK it is mean!

Leave no trace applies when encountering trail magic. Bring your empties with you, unless there is a bag specified for trash. Even then, if it's not secured from wildlife, and if the spot doesn't look like it's been visited for a while, take the trash with you. This should be second nature to long distance hikers.

The Mechanical Man
06-19-2009, 01:51
seemed like a real jerk thing to do

This may not sound like a real nice thing to do, but some entitled hikers seem to be expecting water at all the road crossings in PA, instead of going to the springs, and using the natural water sources on public lands................
Whenever I find unattended "Trail Magic" at the Smith Gap parking area, I usually just dump out the ice and remove the cooler along with all it's contents, and then clean up the usual trash on the ground around the cooler. I do this BEFORE it becomes a bigger mess.

There is a sign on the signboard, advising folks NOT to leave unattended items, along with good directions to nearby water sources on the AT, yet I find stuff almost everyday during the short thru-hiker bubble time.

A vounteers work is never done. :)

Homer&Marje
06-19-2009, 05:28
I have shared the use of my stove, water filter, given away food, a pair of socks, cleaned dishes for people and probably some other stuff over the years.

Never have I discriminated that person between a section hiker, thru hiker, or a weekend warrior. Encountered a few thru hikers in CT last weekend and was politely declined the offer of granola bars and gorp ( I had too much.... surprise surprise). But anyways.... I also offered it to the next kid that came into camp, who accepted the granola bars with much appreciation.

The reason I was declined on the first couple was because they had just restocked in Salisbury that day so they were full up with food for a week....although the other guy had just got back from a 5 day off at home in RI, had cleaned out his mothers fridge, retocked, and still wanted them granola bars. Should have given them my oatmeal....they said it gets expensive up here.....

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 08:07
rat gets it
It was entertaining how many people didn't get it. . .

Safari
06-19-2009, 08:11
cleaned dishes?!! Glory be!

buff_jeff
06-19-2009, 08:18
I kinda agree with what some people are saying here...hiking is a voluntary endeavor; it's a vacation. Trail magic definitely has great intentions behind it, but hikers really don't need it. I find the totally unplanned acts of kindness on the trail 10x more rewarding than somebody dumping a cooler in the middle of nowhere.

Ox97GaMe
06-19-2009, 08:29
' It was entertaining how many people didn't get it. . . '

It is suprising how many folks on WB dont get a lot of things. But, that is the nature of the internet. There are self proclaimed 'gurus' and 'SMEs' on here all the time. I have even encountered some said 'gurus' who have never strapped on a backpack or taken a step in the woods. They sit at home on the computer and get their thrills by handing out bad advice or debating with individuals about advice that is given.

It is a SAD, SAD world that we live in.

Anybody that thinks Wolf is a jerk probably hasnt met him. If you have met him and still think he is a jerk, it is probably because you were instegating something and got what you deserved. For some of the rest of you..... learn to understand when someone is jerking your chain. That dont make them a jerk, it makes them a jerker, and you are the jerkee (would that be turkey jerkey??) <lol>

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 09:10
Wolf is my hero. . .

RITBlake
06-19-2009, 09:36
If you don't see the hiprocracy in Lonewolf enjoying a cold drink for himself then dumping the rest out then it's not even worth debating the issue with you. If you're going to be the big man, the big protector of the trail, then you should either dump it all or leave it alone.

This may not sound like a real nice thing to do, but some entitled hikers seem to be expecting water at all the road crossings in PA, instead of going to the springs, and using the natural water sources on public lands................

MOWGLI
06-19-2009, 09:37
If you don't see the hiprocracy in Lonewolf enjoying a cold drink for himself then dumping the rest out then it's not even worth debating the issue with you. If you're going to be the big man, the big protector of the trail, then you should either dump it all or leave it alone.

Simply put, it didn't happen.

Dances with Mice
06-19-2009, 09:40
Simply put, it didn't happen.Gee thanks a lot Mowg. The hook was set and he was running with it.

snowhoe
06-19-2009, 09:44
I thought that he was saying that he just got a new cooler.

Groucho
06-19-2009, 09:47
It was entertaining how many people didn't get it. . .

Yeah, nobody could drink just one. :sun

Cookerhiker
06-19-2009, 09:50
What???? Trail Maintainers arent allowed to be jerks??? When did that rule go into affect? I guess I have to stop being a maintainer, because there is always someone on WB that is telling me 'shut up, jerk'.

Next, you will be telling me that I cant be a trail angel either. :(

As a maintainer and a trail angel, I tend to agree that unattended trail magic isnt always a good thing. I get tired of cleaning up someones left over stash after it has been there a few days (or maybe weeks). I would think that a general rule of thumb should be to not leave things unattended for more than a day. That isnt 24 hrs, that is to say no later than sundown.

As a maintainer, I am also obligated to remove any unattended stash that I encounter. Since I dont know how long it has been there, or may not know whether items may still be edible, I have to assume it to be trash and discarded with the other trash that I remove from the trail.

As a hiker, I am sometimes skeptical of unattended magic. Was it left for someone specific? Are there folks in the area that are hiker unfriendly and have tainted the items? This is not to say that I havent enjoyed some unattended magic. I am just more cautious of that kind than the other kinds.

I'm with you on this one. When I do my trail maintenance in thru-hiking season, I bring some goodies with me for hikers I encounter but I'd never leave anything - cooler or otherwise - unattended. I find it's truly "magic" in the sense that hikers rarely if ever expect a trail maintainer with a weedwacker to stop and pull some homemade baked goods out of his backpack for them.

And yes, I can be a jerk!

Alligator
06-19-2009, 09:51
I told that story to a fisherman once. There I was with 12 empties next to me by the stream. He said, "those were for me and my buddies". I said, "I thought it was unattended trail magic so I drank one and emptied the rest out!"

What a jerk that guy was.

RITBlake
06-19-2009, 10:07
Simply put, it didn't happen.

May be true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did

CowHead
06-19-2009, 10:11
magic just don't get into it, give someone a ride thats just being decent, having a beer with fellow hikers thats just be social, leaving stuff laying around is crazy, now I will accept cash, and you can attach it to the shelters and mark it CowHead. Now in the PCT to the folks who filled the water spots in the desert those folks or magical the rest is bragging rights for the WB

RITBlake
06-19-2009, 10:22
IMO....trail magic gone too far:

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/8450/tj8450%5F041009%5F151329%5F427970.jpg

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/7363/tj7363%5F052908%5F214717%5F332969.jpg

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 10:24
If you ever met Wolf you would be. . . :)

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 10:27
I kinda agree with what some people are saying here...hiking is a voluntary endeavor; it's a vacation. Trail magic definitely has great intentions behind it, but hikers really don't need it. I find the totally unplanned acts of kindness on the trail 10x more rewarding than somebody dumping a cooler in the middle of nowhere.

very good. :sun

in person kindness is nice and, correct, not needed. dumping trash (or trash to be) is not really thoughtful, just silly.

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 10:29

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/8450/tj8450%5F041009%5F151329%5F427970.jpg

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/7363/tj7363%5F052908%5F214717%5F332969.jpg

yikes! that clearly is about the angels, not the hikers... i would give that a wide berth... probably most would run up and partake, i'm sure

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 10:33

first you smile then you send me nasty email. grow up for crissakes. :)

10-K
06-19-2009, 10:37

I'm hiking PA in the next week or two - can I really expect water at all the road crossings?

Seriously though, I've always appreciated a cooler stocked with ice cold drinks whenever I've came across one and I've always felt grateful to the person that put it there. I've never really meditated on the other stuff - just glad to have something chilled to drink.

The idea of leaving trash for someone to pick up is never a consideration.

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 10:39
I'm hiking PA in the next week or two - can I really expect water at all the road crossings?

Seriously though, I've always appreciated a cooler stocked with ice cold drinks whenever I've came across one and I've always felt grateful to the person that put it there. I've never really meditated on the other stuff - just glad to have something chilled to drink.

The idea of leaving trash for someone to pick up is never a consideration.

so you pack out the soda can or whatever yourself?

Alligator
06-19-2009, 10:42
so you pack out the soda can or whatever yourself?I always do. But I stopped packing out the ice, I got my sleeping bag wet once.

buff_jeff
06-19-2009, 10:48
RIT Blake, where was that? I passed a big orange tent with a truck next to it somewhere in either Georgia or North Carolina that resembled that. I don't remember seeing any signs, though?

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 10:54
I always do. But I stopped packing out the ice, I got my sleeping bag wet once.

I took a soda on two occasions. One was on a porch in Dalton, so no need to pack out that trash. I packed out the other one. I pass the coolers by now... someone here told me abandoned coolers were evil. :)

10-K
06-19-2009, 11:04
so you pack out the soda can or whatever yourself?

Always. Never a question.

Alligator
06-19-2009, 11:06
I don't particularly think it's a good idea to leave them unattended due to wildlife concerns, and that's part of the reason I partake, so the animals don't get into it:D. If I were to hand out trail magic, I wouldn't specify just thruhikers. I generally just offer rides if I see a hiker about.

RITBlake
06-19-2009, 11:07
RIT Blake, where was that? I passed a big orange tent with a truck next to it somewhere in either Georgia or North Carolina that resembled that. I don't remember seeing any signs, though?

No clue, it pops up on Trail Journals every once in a while. I found it by searching "trail magic tent" on TJ.

Lone Wolf
06-19-2009, 11:11
calm down and unwind your little panties oh gullible one :rolleyes:

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 11:16
Always. Never a question.

cool. although i have come to suspect that if you take a soda, it encourages more to come later and elsewhere. it's like a virus, so i stopped. i could be wrong though. :-?

RITBlake
06-19-2009, 11:42
calm down and unwind your little panties oh gullible one :rolleyes:

Guess I took you for a man of your word and believed your story. I won't make that mistake again (on either account). After all it's the internet and it's not really possible to detect one's tone of voice or pick up on sarcasm.

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 11:45
Guess I took you for a man of your word and believed your story. I won't make that mistake again (on either account). After all it's the internet and it's not really possible to detect one's tone of voice or pick up on sarcasm.
Dude, if you met Lone Wolf you'd leave with a new ( and great) friend. . . :sun.

snowhoe
06-19-2009, 11:54

Must have hit home with the email:):):) What sucks is I tried to let your comments go but you cant give it up.

Bearpaw
06-19-2009, 11:55

You really don't know Lone Wolf.

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 11:58
Must have hit home with the email:):):) What sucks is I tried to let your comments go but you cant give it up.

yeah, that email was about letting it go. :rolleyes:

peace be with you

emerald
06-19-2009, 12:00

No, I do see jugs occasionally. You should be able to rely upon natural water sources at the time you plan to hike.

Even when Berks County ridgetop springs fail, there's no need for bottled water at road crossings. What hikers need to do is read up on which water sources natural and developed can be relied upon and plan accordingly.

Providing water jugs at road crossings doesn't reinforce planning and preparedness. What it does is leave those dependant water caches without water and information about where to obtain it.

Hikers also need to learn to adapt to warmer weather. When it's hot and the days are long, there is no need to hike at high noon.

Berks water info for AT hikers (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=830932&postcount=11)

RITBlake
06-19-2009, 12:09
rut roh the Lonewolf apostles are out in full force, I better watch my step

Cannibal
06-19-2009, 12:11
Take the opportunity to meet him instead of assuming he's an ass and you'd understand why.

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 12:14
Nah. . . it's all cool. . . he ain't the apostle type. . . seriously. . . he's a very cool dude . . . . as you obviously are. . . . he's a friend, you'll see one day. . . :sun:sun

Bearpaw
06-19-2009, 12:17
1999 was a drought year. I still remember the 17 miles from George Outerbridge Shelter to Leroy Smith Shelter. The only natural water source 10 miles in was confirmed dry.

So I loaded up with 5 quarts of water and trundled up Lehigh Gap. Still, the heat index was just over 100 that day, and when I got to Little Gap, I was very happy to see several jugs of water waiting. I enjoyed a quart right there and left the rest for other hikers who only had enough bottles to carry two or three quarts.

The note attached to a jug said they were from the local ridgerunner, John, who was refilling them every couple of days. It was very much appreciated.

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 12:20
The note attached to a jug said they were from the local ridgerunner, John, who was refilling them every couple of days. It was very much appreciated.
That's been my entire experience with trail magic. . . . the folks that put it out there are very responsible with the leftovers and very generous and caring in the first place. . . . for sure I'll be repaying the favor along the trail. . . . :sun

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 12:21
That's been my entire experience with trail magic. . . . the folks that put it out there are very responsible with the leftovers and very generous and caring in the first place. . . . for sure I'll be repaying the favor along the trail. . . . :sun

oh. ms. warraghy, you are so smart. can i hike with you? :)

Bearpaw
06-19-2009, 12:23

Nah, she's got a radial fracture of the left femur from Mahoosuc Notch.

vonfrick
06-19-2009, 12:28

she's mine- all mine!! :banana

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 12:30
Ooooooh!!!!!!!. . . . so, where ya from sistah??

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 12:31
Come here often?

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 12:31
What's your major?

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 12:32
I like long walks in the woods, music, candle lit dinner, travelling. . . . chicks. . . .

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 12:32
Nah, she's got a radial fracture of the left femur from Mahoosuc Notch.

ouch, sorry to hear that, hope she gets better soon. i could use some pointers on the notch though. hittin' it this summer or fall sometime... i hope

oh, sorry mr. warrghy, my bad :o

10-K
06-19-2009, 12:38
I like long walks in the woods, music, candle lit dinner, travelling. . . . chicks. . . .

you mean ....ticks....?

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 12:40
oh, sorry mr. warrghy, my bad :o
That's Ms. Warrghy. . . . jeeziss. . . .

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 12:40
you mean ....ticks....?
Ticks are baayaad. . . . mmmmkaaayyyy??

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 12:42
That's Ms. Warrghy. . . . jeeziss. . . .

ms. and ms. warraghy. got it. my apologies

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 12:43
ms. and ms. warraghy. got it. my apologies
No prob dude. . . it's an honest mistake. . . :)

Hooch
06-19-2009, 13:04
I like long walks in the woods, music, candle lit dinner, travelling. . . . chicks. . . .. . . . .and getting strapped to roofs of cars in the deadof winter for rides from Charlotte to Franklin.

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 13:11
. . . . .and getting strapped to roofs of cars in the deadof winter for rides from Charlotte to Franklin.
sounds exhilarating. . . . :sun

RITBlake
06-19-2009, 13:27
Take the opportunity to meet him instead of assuming he's an ass and you'd understand why.

Give me a break. He tells a story about dumping trail magic. What am I supposed to assume???? But thanks for the lecture.

I'm sure he's a good dude and I'm sure we'd get along just fine in person.

Cannibal
06-19-2009, 13:31
You think that was a lecture? You really are a sensitive type aren't you?
You've got almost 1900 posts here and you're telling me you thought LW was being serious? Gimme a break.

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 13:32
I'm sure he's a good dude and I'm sure we'd get along just fine in person.
Yup. . . and then nothin else matters. . . hell I've said way worse things here in jest. . . . I just use more smilies. . . Wolf is a master at glib. . . . when you get it, you laugh your ass off. . .

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 13:33
You've got almost 1900 posts here and you're telling me you thought LW was being serious? Gimme a break.
Why don't you just go eat a human you friggin Cannibal guy, you. . . .

:p

Cannibal
06-19-2009, 13:34

Can't, girlfriend is at work.

mooseboy
06-19-2009, 13:36

That is quite over-the-top. However, most hikers (myself included) would love it to bits, and at least the Angels are present and not leaving their treats unattended, which some had a problem with.

I personally take more issue with the banner on the second photo that specifically only welcomes "thru hikers". I can understand wanting to discourage day hikers & overnighters, but section hikers count for something, don't we? After several days, we are nearly as grubby and hungry as the thrus (sans beard). And by tradition, we are usually carrying a heavier load on our backs as well.

I prefer to see the term "long-distance hiker" or something (which some people do use), just so I don't feel ashamed to partake. As someone here said, every thru-hiker is really a section hiker until they finish--and the majority don't finish.

...In retrospect, though, so far it hasn't been the trail angels who have said, "Sorry, thru-hikers only" (this has never happened to me)-- but the actual thru-hikers I've met who have either told me that 1) an angel's services up the trail are for thrus only (when I get there I find they are usually not); or 2) neglected to share hostel/food info that I later learned that they knew all along. Self-preservation, I guess...

Just saying that personally, I'll share info with anyone obviously out for a longer haul, be they thru or sectioner. And even a day hiker who has perhaps found themselves unprepared, out of water, etc.

Cookerhiker
06-19-2009, 13:41

No clue, it pops up on Trail Journals every once in a while. I found it by searching "trail magic tent" on TJ.

I saw it too - I think on Max Patch.

Tin Man
06-19-2009, 13:47

it's getting warm in here. :eek:

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 13:49
oh. . . you're good. . . :p

Lone Wolf
06-19-2009, 13:51
i did find a case of beer at "The Place" once and opened every one and dumped them out then left the cans in a pile. a half hour later the cans were gone.

RITBlake
06-19-2009, 13:57
i did find a case of beer at "The Place" once and opened every one and dumped them out then left the cans in a pile. a half hour later the cans were gone.

And I think that's the story I remember hearing before. I knew the trail magic story sounded familiar

Lone Wolf
06-19-2009, 13:58

and recently i dumped out an expensive bottle of white wine hidden under the kitchen sink then left the bottle on the counter

RITBlake
06-19-2009, 13:59

See LW's post above this. There's a reason I thought he was serious. I've never had a problem w/ LW and still don't have a problem with him. I do find it interesting that people jump to his defense over nothing. All is well, nothing to see here, move along people.

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 14:08
and recently i dumped out an expensive bottle of white wine hidden under the kitchen sink then left the bottle on the counter
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/KR74/Misc/nooo.jpg

Lone Wolf
06-19-2009, 14:09

just kidding. haven't done that YET but there was a time i wanted to cuz me and gypsy came upon a cooler in vermont when doing the long trail. it had a sign "for thru-hikers only" on it. it was full of empties and other trash was scattered about. nobody had been there for a long time. ******* elitists

Lone Wolf
06-19-2009, 14:11
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/KR74/Misc/nooo.jpg

oh yeah. it was fun. i asked all present who it belonged to. nobody fessed up so down the drain it went

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 14:12
oh yeah. it was fun. i asked all present who it belonged to. nobody fessed up so down the drain it went
:mad::mad::mad::mad: - alcohol abuse is not funny. . . .

Bearpaw
06-19-2009, 14:13
But Wolf, those signs saying "No dogs, drugs, smoking, or alcohol" couldn't possibly apply to everybody, could they?! :(

At least somebody was cool enough to pick up the empty cans.

Nean
06-19-2009, 14:25
People who disrespect the rules of the PLACE need to have their person removed along with their new empties.;)

People who do thru hiker only stuff are extremely offensive and not the kind of people I care to hang w/ anyhow.:eek: Once I was told to take a hike because I was only doing half the trail while they treated yellowblazing packsniffing posers to their fill. They deserved each other IMO.:D

Hikers who take more than one drink suck. :mad:

Hikers that don't pack out their cans are lazy AND inconsiderate.:(

Cannibal
06-19-2009, 14:28
See LW's post above this. There's a reason I thought he was serious. I've never had a problem w/ LW and still don't have a problem with him. I do find it interesting that people jump to his defense over nothing. All is well, nothing to see here, move along people.
Fair enough, but he is funny!:D

mooseboy
06-19-2009, 14:34
Fair enough, but he is funny!:D

I enjoy LW's humor, too. I assumed he was joking, but sometimes he's so deadpan it can be hard to tell just by reading it.

trailangelmary
06-19-2009, 15:00
1999 was a drought year. I still remember the 17 miles from George Outerbridge Shelter to Leroy Smith Shelter. The only natural water source 10 miles in was confirmed dry.

So I loaded up with 5 quarts of water and trundled up Lehigh Gap. Still, the heat index was just over 100 that day, and when I got to Little Gap, I was very happy to see several jugs of water waiting. I enjoyed a quart right there and left the rest for other hikers who only had enough bottles to carry two or three quarts.

In drought conditions the ATC allows water jugs to be left on the trail for hikers. Just be sure to return and clean up the empty jugs.

Homer&Marje
06-19-2009, 17:03

yeah, that email was about letting it go. :rolleyes:

peace be with you

http://shutupstopwhining.com/wp-content/themes/blackcrunch/images/logo.jpg

Pokey2006
06-19-2009, 17:37

I get that it's against the rules and all, but it's still just mean! You should have taken the bottle home with you. As long as SOMEONE got to enjoy it...

Nean
06-19-2009, 17:44
I get that it's against the rules and all, but it's still just mean! You should have taken the bottle home with you. As long as SOMEONE got to enjoy it...
Ain't being mean is it?:-? LW was making a point and teaching a lesson to some disrespectful hikers.:eek: He doesn't need their shwag, but they do need to get a clue.;)

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-19-2009, 18:04

Hey I thought it was OK to let your dog get drunk there?:-?

Lemni Skate
06-19-2009, 18:09
I've never had a thru-hiker treat me as an outsider because I was sectioning. I ran into a crew of them and Big Meadows Lodge when I was hiking SNP last spring. I saw one guy in the tap room and asked him if he was thru-hiking (The Crocs gave him away). He asked me to join him and his friends and they just treated me like another member of "the family." We all ended up staying at the lodge and generally laughed our butts off. I was definitely in the dark on some of the inside humor, but other than that I got no sense that any of these people thought they were special or entitled because they were thru-hiking.

Of course, the fact that I bought them a round of beers and a couple of plates of sweet potato fries when I first met them might have gotten me on their good side.

I can't imagine any of these hikers would have withheld any info from any section, overnight or day hiker. Good guys.

Lone Wolf
06-19-2009, 20:18

BS. i hate white wine. and hikers even more

1azarus
06-19-2009, 20:26
"Eventually, a hiker may come to expect trail magic or may encounter it so frequently that it ceases to be meaningful. "

Sadly, when hikers become inclined to expect trail magic they are often trapped, or tranquilized and relocated to a more desolate part of the trail keeping the natural trail etiquette in balance.

After careful consideration of all entries, I think Scrapes wins for funniest reply.

Buzz_Lightfoot
06-19-2009, 21:18
Hey I thought it was OK to let your dog get drunk there?:-?

OK, I admit it. I lied. My dog doesn't drink. She smokes like a furnace though.:)

Lone Wolf
06-19-2009, 21:52
look at me, i'm on a boat mofo!

saimyoji
06-19-2009, 22:04

yes you are. :welcome

ShelterLeopard
06-19-2009, 22:12

Just out of curiosity, what time of year were you in Virginia?

Homer&Marje
06-19-2009, 23:05

Sometimes it's the less desirable qualities of something it takes more affinity to appreciate.:rolleyes:

Have a nice sauvignon blanc with a plate of fresh berries after dinner instead of a slab of bacon and a pabs blue ribbon:D

I got Jim Beam and Hershey's bars....so I'm not judging:D:D:D

Homer&Marje
06-19-2009, 23:07
Sometimes with the less desirable qualities of something it takes more affinity to appreciate.:rolleyes:

Have a nice sauvignon blanc with a plate of fresh berries after dinner instead of a slab of bacon and a pabs blue ribbon:D

I got Jim Beam and Hershey's bars....so I'm not judging:D:D:D

Self editing again.

Pokey2006
06-20-2009, 00:08

I love white wine. I would have been happy to help you consume it.

Alli
06-20-2009, 23:14

take a look at me, straight flowing on a boat in the deep blue sea

The Mechanical Man
06-22-2009, 23:25
I was thinking about making a large batch of brownies, to take to the trail for hikers to enjoy.

I seem to have misplaced my recipe book, .......what is the proper amount of EX-LAX to put into the mix? :banana

Tin Man
06-22-2009, 23:34
I was thinking about making a large batch of brownies, to take to the trail for hikers to enjoy.

I seem to have misplaced my recipe book, .......what is the proper amount of EX-LAX to put into the mix? :banana

dunno, why not test a couple dozen batches on yourself?... until it comes out the way you want it

ed bell
06-22-2009, 23:36

I seem to have misplaced my recipe book, .......what is the proper amount of EX-LAX to put into the mix? :bananaYou give free toilet access after the free cold shower?:cool:

Gaiter
06-22-2009, 23:43

Listen to tinman, he has some good advice for ya there

The Mechanical Man
06-22-2009, 23:44
You give free toilet access after the free cold shower?:cool:

Ok, but the toilet paper is gonna cost you 10 cents a sheet.

Thats why they call TP,........ mountain money. :)

ed bell
06-23-2009, 00:04
I've always got my own. Let's see, ex-lax brownies, free cold showers, 10 cent a square t.p. and your company? Sounds great?

The Mechanical Man
06-23-2009, 00:13
I've always got my own. Let's see, ex-lax brownies, free cold showers, 10 cent a square t.p. and your company? Sounds great?

Sure beats Giardia. :D

Homer&Marje
06-23-2009, 05:49
Sure beats Giardia. :D

Barely. And personally I'd rather get Giardia and go home and spend the time with doctors and my family:rolleyes:

Hooch
06-23-2009, 07:11

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/princejellyfish/borat_not.jpg

The Mechanical Man
06-25-2009, 02:30
Barely. And personally I'd rather get Giardia and go home and spend the time with doctors and my family:rolleyes:

Then why don't you do just that?

You are not invited to my place here at Smith Gap Pa anyway, so take a hike, and stop following me around this website just stirring the pot you IDIOT.

You have been warned by the moderators in the past, and now by me again.

Homer&Marje
06-25-2009, 06:02
who is following who here?? I have not responded to a comment by u in days. I just had surgery yesterday and am in a lot of pain and dont have time to deal with u. dont worry i will hike on through if i'm ever there.

Still with the name calling. your a real class act....warn yourself that your poking the wrong bear here. GFY. no one likes u and few value your opinion, if the mods want to warn me THEY WILL do it.

Go moderate the cold shower line.... oh wait, not that much demand?

saimyoji
06-25-2009, 07:50
You are not invited to my place here at Smith Gap Pa anyway.....

what a gracious host....:rolleyes:

absolutely no reason to go searching for Stempas's Sewer anyways....

I just had surgery yesterday and am in a lot of pain and dont have time to deal with u.

were they able to remove the stick from your ass? :)

Homer&Marje
06-25-2009, 07:56
what a gracious host....:rolleyes:

absolutely no reason to go searching for Stempas's Sewer anyways....

were they able to remove the stick from your ass? :)

Yep...they say i'm a bigger hole because of it though.:rolleyes:

My hand hurts...but trust me...i'm givin u the bird saimyoji:D

Chaco Taco
06-25-2009, 16:01
Just when my faith in WB was going away

http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/p/popcorn-eating-emoticon.gif

freefall
06-25-2009, 16:35
How dare anyone but thru-hikers partake in the goodies left for them! If you are not a thru-hiker you should be ashamed of yourself!!!

Thru-hikers have been ordained by the great messiah and deserve all the is begot to them.

:)

RAT
06-30-2009, 00:51
Just to update #48 of this thread, whoever left the 50+ bottles of water laying on the ground on my trail section at Spivey Gap has removed them. Thanks to whom ever took care of this as it saved us some work. There were a few empties around the trailhead but that was no trouble to remove.

Too bad no one removed the 10 lbs of garbage (and puke) that was compacted in the LARGE green ammo box at Whistling Gap. First time seeing trash in it since someone placed it there but needlesstosay that box is no longer there to be used as a trashcan.

Someone also tied a white grocery bag on one of the rhodos right on top of High Rocks as it seems the three cans and trash was just too much for them to pack out down the hill.

Different kind of 'hikertrash', the kind we can do without.

Safari
06-30-2009, 02:33
Echo the puppy! :banana

Ox97GaMe
06-30-2009, 11:20
I just finished building my THRU (This Hiker's Really Unworthy) device. I will use it next season when I am out feeding hikers. When they come into the feed, I will pass the wand in front of them. If the light goes green, they will make it all the way to Maine and I am therefore bestowed the honor of giving them food. If the light goes red, I tell the get the hell out of my feed area.

I will do some field study with this device on the SOBOs this fall. I should have it ready to market by Feb. You too will be able to get one of these handy dandy devices for just 3 small payments of 19.95 plus S&H. :)

Ox97GaMe
06-30-2009, 11:22
Already found one flaw in my device. SOBOs wont be going to Maine, and a hiker might flip. Changing device settings to detect if a hiker will become a 2000 miler.

Ox97GaMe
06-30-2009, 11:24
Oops.. another adjustment...... they cant be just 2000 milers... they should be purists as well.. Anyone got a suggestion on how I make that a configurable setting on the device? Is it ok to just have a constant of 2175, or does it need to be calculated to the exact distance (in tenths of a mile??) of the trail each season?

Ox97GaMe
06-30-2009, 11:26
Hmm... this is getting harder than I thought.......

I guess I need to tweak it to also be able to detect if a hiker has, or is going to slack pack on their journey as well.

We wouldnt want to feed any of those LAZY hikers. After all, if they arent carrying a 50 lb pound pack ALL the way, they really dont need the extra nutrition, right???? :)

Tin Man
06-30-2009, 11:30
Hmm... this is getting harder than I thought.......

I guess I need to tweak it to also be able to detect if a hiker has, or is going to slack pack on their journey as well.

We wouldnt want to feed any of those LAZY hikers. After all, if they arent carrying a 50 lb pound pack ALL the way, they really dont need the extra nutrition, right???? :)

between the bs meter and checking for yellow blazes on the bottom of their shoes, you should be good to go

Lone Wolf
06-30-2009, 11:33
next year me and pirate are gonna set up at a road crossing in georgia with a grill and cooler full of beer and soda. as we're grillin' steaks and stuff and as hikers come wanderin' up we'll ask them if they're thru-hiking. if they yes we're gonna tell 'em we're feeding section hikers only. have a nice day. bye

mudhead
06-30-2009, 11:39
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lesjones.com/www/images/posts/cheetos-girl.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lesjones.com/2006/11/28/girl-in-bathtub-with-cheetos/&h=352&w=497&sz=68&tbnid=LKx5FPf28R1SUM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcheetos&usg=__70yni9hDG9zlsUbGtYqi8fQpemo=&ei=XTFKSufpPI--NsDz3ZYB&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image

Take her with.

Pretty cheesy.

Bare Bear
06-30-2009, 14:01
Having done TM since 2006 on a regular basis I enjoy meeting ALL hikers, some are thrus, others section, day hiking, bird watchers.....I always found 99% of the folks I met on any Trail to be fine folks. The other 1% I ignore. I do Trail Maintenance and disagree that nothing be left unattended. I have found a few coolers left and believe they do not offer a hazard to anything or anyone. They seem to be cared for daily or nearly daily. There are always negative people that try to find fault in everything. If you do not like or believe in Trail Magic then walk on by and ignore it. If you prefer stop and enjoy the company of the person offering the treat.
I always collect trash from hikers and leave the area cleaner then it was when I arrived. If others do not then they do create a problem and should think about they are doing.

Rockhound
06-30-2009, 15:35
Most all magic does not go to thru hikers. In fact I would venture to say that less than 1% does. Unless you see magic coming down from Springer or Katahdin after hiking 2180 miles or you are a repeat offender , having completed a thru in the past and you take trail magic you fall into the 99% and are just a wannabee taking food and drink out of true thru-hikers mouths. You should be ashamed of yourself and flogged, caned, beaten and stoned..............that last one doesn't sound so bad.

RAT
06-30-2009, 23:28
next year me and pirate are gonna set up at a road crossing in georgia with a grill and cooler full of beer and soda. as we're grillin' steaks and stuff and as hikers come wanderin' up we'll ask them if they're thru-hiking. if they yes we're gonna tell 'em we're feeding section hikers only. have a nice day. bye

Good one Wolf, lol. I remember the time you were coming thru Fontana and was told you couldn't have a hamburger because you were not a thru hiker !

2010 will be the 20th year of The Brown Gap Hikers Feast and I am thinking seriously on attending for a 20 year reunion (as I retired about 4 years or so ago and handed the torch over to my apprentice OX) so I would request that all alumni that can make it be there. This means you Wolf, Pirate, Wee Willy, and as many of the hobo`s and hiker rat-trash we can get to be there. You`ve been warned! PawPaw already has a reservation and will be there as well as several others)

PS(since I will be there, there will be 'manna', famous 'trail beans' and of course the 'Magic Box').

Hoping for a nice slide show with lots of pics from all 20 yrs.

HAIRNT !

Buzz_Lightfoot
07-01-2009, 06:40

What have ya got against day hikers?

sly dog
07-01-2009, 12:52
Once or twice a year I will pack a cooler with beer,soda,other drinks and snacks and take to a shelter. I will then do a nice blue blaze loop hike and come back to the shelter to grab the cooler and anything that aint gone. This way I do come back several hours later and aint leavin no trash. For the people that say that is littering can kiss my azz.