PDA

View Full Version : LT thru Late Sept to Mid October??

djessop
06-18-2009, 18:48
Hello...

Would it be possible to start a SOBO LT thru mid-late September to finish in mid-October in the South? Or would this be just too damn cold??

Any thoughts? Anyone done this?

Thanks!

David / The Wandering Bull

warraghiyagey
06-18-2009, 18:54
You certainly could expect some cold nights but it should take around three weeks, you'd be in peak foliage season, it's doable. . . havee a warm sleeping bag and you'll be fine. . . enjoy!:sun

Tin Man
06-18-2009, 18:58
Hello...

Would it be possible to start a SOBO LT thru mid-late September to finish in mid-October in the South? Or would this be just too damn cold??

Thanks!

that would be about the best time to go. crowds and bugs are pretty much gone. foliage is awesome. and i like sleeping in the cooler air.

celt
06-18-2009, 20:11
I hiked from Appalachian Gap south to Massachusetts, October 9-20, 2003 and it was one of my favorite hikes on the LT/AT. It was never too cold (subjective) but I did see plenty of rain combined with the cool fall weather. I also had one slightly snowy hike over Stratton. There were also some glorious days with clear skies and of course the incredible floliage.

I wrote it all down here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=651

p.s. note: my fall hike was the second half of a southbound trip. The first half I did in May 2003.

Lyle
06-18-2009, 20:29
Check out Duct Tapes site. He includes a GREAT journal about his southbound LT hike which he started on Sept. 27, 2007. Jamies a great photographer and excellent journalist - I've throughly enjoyed each of his trips from my living room.

http://www.downthetrail.com/

He posts on WB fairly often, will probably give you a reply when he sees this.

Deadeye
06-18-2009, 20:58
As said, beautiful time of year, and just prepare for some 10-20* nights. Don't forget the days get pretty short. Starting late September you'll have about 12 hours of daylight, but you lose 4-5 minutes each day, you lose a full hour over a three week hike.

on_the_GOEZ
06-19-2009, 09:41
Any thoughts about water conditions on LT throughtout all of October? Scarcity?

Deadeye
06-19-2009, 11:20
Any thoughts about water conditions on LT throughtout all of October? Scarcity?

Plenty of water. Anywhere in the guidebook where it indicates an unreliable source might be sketchy, but water problems in VT are unusual after August. Even in drought conditions, most of the LT has more water than you need.

Driest sections: Journey's end to Laura Woodward is usually bone dry, and Birch Glen to Battell shelter (over Lincoln mountain) can be dry, too. Cooley Glen, Theron Dean, and Puffer shelter water supplies are unreliable in dry seasons. Other than that, you should have no worries, and will cross many reliable springs and streams.

Chenango
06-19-2009, 12:01
If I had the time and money, I would jump at the chance of hiking the LT this time of year. Go for it!!!

Cookerhiker
06-19-2009, 13:52
I echo what others have said; it's a great time to hike the LT.

Is this 2 years in a row for you? As I recall, you were also hiking the LT last year.

Slo-go'en
06-19-2009, 14:00
Bring a warm bag and clothes, it can get chilly in the evening and early morning. Be prepared to hike a few miles after dark, as it starts getting dark early and it could take you longer than you think to get to a shelter, especially up north where the trail is pretty rugged. It is a great time of year to do the LT.

mark schofield
06-19-2009, 14:22
this guy did it around the same time a few years ago. here's a link to his trip. excellent journal

http://www.downthetrail.com/the-long-trail/

Nean
06-19-2009, 14:29
I did a sobo that time of year way back when, before they cameras and stuff like that, and it was great! ENJOY!!!

DavidNH
06-19-2009, 17:38
Hello...

Thanks!

If you can start at Canadian Border mid sept and finish at Mass border mid October that would be absolutely ideal. Yeah there may be nights in the 20's but so what? No bugs, you will see the fall colors at their peak and you should have crisp air!

David

joelrash
07-22-2009, 01:05
Any advice on whether the bugs are gone and the chillier weather is holding offf in late August or early September? I can find average daily temps for the cities, but I know the elevation changes make a lot more difference than the miles. I only have 15-18 days off work so I'm just looking at the non-AT portion of the trail. Thanks.

Quoddy
07-22-2009, 07:47
Any advice on whether the bugs are gone and the chillier weather is holding offf in late August or early September? I can find average daily temps for the cities, but I know the elevation changes make a lot more difference than the miles. I only have 15-18 days off work so I'm just looking at the non-AT portion of the trail. Thanks.
Bugs should be almost non-existent by mid to late August. Temperatures will run mainly in the mid 30's in the higher elevations on clear nights. Figure on daytime temps close to 60. I reached Journey's End on August 29th in 2007 and was using a 50 degree bag (very warm sleeper), but there were several marginal nights. Heading SOBO this year beginning Aug 10th and will be carrying a 32 degree rated quilt.

GlobeTrotter
08-14-2009, 06:34
I am planning to do about the same as you. Starting SOBO in mid-Sept and finishing early-mid October. See you at there!

Tinker
08-14-2009, 07:25
I am also planning a thru (have section hiked entire trail in the 1990s). I haven't decided to go nobo or sobo. The climbs up both Camel's Hump and Mansfield are tougher if you're sobo (but if it's at all icy, that may be just the way to go). Another thing is that, if I can get my wife or someone to drop me off at Journey's End camp it would be easier to get public transportation back home after the trip.

ryan207
09-01-2009, 14:53
Hello...

Thanks!

I'm planning on doing it starting in mid october, taking 2-3 weeks. Probably will have some winter gear on standby.

Dogwood
09-01-2009, 15:42
You caann doo it! Great time of the yr. to thru the LT, when you are prepared for the weather being colder with a chance of some light to med snow.

zlucian
09-01-2009, 21:19
Wouldn't worry to much about snow, although it is possible at elevation. I've lived here in southern VT for a few years (since completing my AT thru-hike in 06') and have only seen trace amounts of snow in mid-october. I'm actually planning on hiking north of Killington/AT convergence for a week starting the last weekend of september and am anticipating excellent conditions. Cool, clear weather with lots and lots of amazing foliage - should be about peak. Plan on overnite temps in the 30's, but don't worry about too much snow. September into early October may be the best time to be on the trail!

Lefty

stranger
07-12-2010, 00:04
Anyone know when hunting season starts in the fall in Vermont?

Thanks

Jeff
07-12-2010, 05:27
Anyone know when hunting season starts in the fall in Vermont?

Thanks

Information found here:

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/Calendar_of_events.cfm?eventcat=hunt&daterange=future

DavidNH
07-12-2010, 09:46
just to add.. don't worry about the cold. But Ice might be a problem towards the end of your trip. Pack at least some stabilicers.

David

NorthCountryWoods
07-13-2010, 19:37
October the past few years has been pretty mild. Bugs will be gone, foliage will be booming (peak is first north and second week south), shelters empty, wildlife moving (only time I've seen moose or deer on the trail was in Fall), cool hiking temps, campfires at night. Best time to go IMHO.

Black bear season runs thru that time and so does bow season. Deer rifle starts November 6th, so make sure you're done by then. I recommend a blaze orange hat or safety vest when hiking that time of year.

pattydivins
07-23-2010, 19:49
I am planning on a tentative start date around September 17th. I cannot decide if I want to do NOBO or SOBO. I have a 20 degree bag and a 30 degree bag. I would rather take the 30 due to light weight and compact size, do you think this will be sufficent? Also, is resupply for alcohol on the trail relatively easy?

mark schofield
07-24-2010, 05:33
pattydivins; if you go SOBO, you'll travel with the foliage change. And after the hiketo Mansfield, you'll find the lower part of the trail an easy beautiful walk.