PDA

View Full Version : Maildrops?

JOMO
06-18-2009, 19:38
Are mail drops necessary on an E2E, or are simple resupplies sufficient?

Thanks in advance...

vonfrick
06-18-2009, 19:44
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49443&highlight=mail+drops

this thread covers the pros and cons. plenty of places to resupply if you so choose.

Quoddy
06-18-2009, 19:56
I used drops on my '07 NOBO E-2-E, but am setting up almost all of them at businesses that are open 7 days a week on this year's SOBO. So Manchester Center, Killington, Hancock, and Jonesville will not be at the post office. It's surprising how often I tend to reach a resupply on a Saturday afternoon... and I'm not waiting until Monday.

If you planned well, you could easily resupply along the way, but I find it easier to have exactly what I want waiting.

06-28-2009, 17:21
Quoddy, which businesses are you using? I'm planning resupplies now, and the PO schedules are killing me. Thanks in advance!

Peaks
06-28-2009, 17:27
Just like on the AT, resupply on the Long Trail depends on how far off the trail you want to go. Read and study the End to Ender's Guide.

For example, you could resupply at Jonesville using the post office there, or you could hitch into Waterbury or Richmond and resupply at a grocery store or supermarket.

At Sherburne Gap, resupply via maildrop to Long Trail Inn, or take the bus into Rutland.

Cookerhiker
06-28-2009, 17:42
Keepin mind the northernmost 50 miles from Rt. 15 to Canada are fairly remote with less towns & services. Try to hike this part without resupplying.

Quoddy
06-28-2009, 21:32
Quoddy, which businesses are you using? I'm planning resupplies now, and the PO schedules are killing me. Thanks in advance!
The Mountain Goat in Manchester Center*, The Inn at the Long Trail* in Killington, hopefully the Community Market (if open) in Jonesville, the Old Hancock Hotel* in Hancock are definitely OK . Probably either the HydeAway Inn or the Millbrook Inn in Waitsfield if I decide to stop there. I'm working on a location in either Johnson or Morrisville since I know I will arrive there late on Saturday on my SOBO.
* = Have used before.

07-01-2009, 12:55
Quoddy,

Great list of mail drops. I'm in the same boat as you - hoping for Jonesville (Jonesboro?) to be open, and looking for something in Johnson. I'll keep you posted when I come up with something.

Thanks!

mark schofield
07-03-2009, 10:38
I'll be doing a SOBO (hopefully) in september. I hope you guys post your resupply experiences concerning the northern part. I hitched into waterburry once and had bad luck (a long day), but that was probably not the norm. My main concern is from Mansfield north. I hope yo'll keep us up to date. thanks
Mark S.

ps; Quoddy, what type of shelter are you using now. I've been having excellent luck with the Contrail. It would be nice if it was free standing. I guess we always want something different. My basement is beginning to look like a Campmore satelite store.

Quoddy
07-03-2009, 14:10
I'll be doing a SOBO (hopefully) in september. I hope you guys post your resupply experiences concerning the northern part. I hitched into Waterbury once and had bad luck (a long day), but that was probably not the norm. My main concern is from Mansfield north. I hope you'll keep us up to date. thanks
Mark S.

ps; Quoddy, what type of shelter are you using now. I've been having excellent luck with the Contrail. It would be nice if it was free standing. I guess we always want something different. My basement is beginning to look like a Campmor satellite store.
Since I know I'll be reaching Johnson mid to late on a Saturday I have a couple of spots picked out for resupply and will let you know how it works out. That will be my only resupply point north of Mansfield.

The Contrail worked fine for me in '07, but I did stay in many shelters by the time I reached the north on that NOBO. I'm toying with the idea of using my hammock gear on this hike, if I don't then it will be tarp/bivy/pad/quilt. My main concern with going with the hammock is that I won't have a pad (just an underquilt), if for some reason I want to stay in a shelter. But, then again, I only used a fairly thin 30" long pad during '07's hike.

Quoddy
07-04-2009, 12:39
OK... I've checked with my first choice for a drop in Johnson/Jeffersonville and decided to stay there, too. Nye's Green Valley Farm (http://www.nyesgreenvalleyfarm.com/) which is located 2 miles west of the LT trail crossing and is right on Rt 15. They will take packages whether you stay there or not. For guests, they will pick you up and also return you to the trail crossing. Since they only provide breakfast, they will drive hiker guests to town (Jeffersonville) for dinner and also pick up when dinner is over. Oh, and they do a load of washing for hikers, too. All this is included in the price of the room. It's no wonder this place gets rave reviews from guests.Nye's Green Valley Farm

07-05-2009, 02:17
Thanks for the tip! I was planning on using the PO, but still felt uncomfortable with the inflexibility.

pedxing
07-15-2009, 21:06
Going north, I hitched into Johnson for my last resupply. There is somewhat overpriced supermarket there (right on 15). Morrisville has a better supermarket, but I liked the security of knowing that if I couldn't get a ride back that it was only 3 miles to the trail head. Morrisville is about 6 miles further.