PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever littered

10-K
06-19-2009, 11:26
With the talk of litter that is often associated with trail magic I'm wondering about the bigger question of litter itself. So, have YOU ever purposely left litter on the trail?

I have, out of ignorance. On my first hike (Devil's Fork Gap to Erwin) we overnighted at No Business Knob shelter. There was a trash bag under the shelter with trash in it and I thought that it was for everyone to leave their trash in. So, we did. Oops...

cowboy nichols
06-19-2009, 11:34
NO, But me and my dogs have packed many hundreds of Lbs. trash out of the woods and any place we walk. It's great training for a young dog gut I sure would be happy to NOT find anything to pick up someday.

Ranc0r
06-19-2009, 11:46
Not sure why "(purposely)" is in parentheses, but if intent is implied then I've never done it, never will, and will encourage others to do likewise.

That said, I did once discover I was missing a Snickers, and I can only assume it fell out of the pocket of my pack, so it was purely unintentional on my part. The rat bastard at the shelter where I ate lunch, who "may have inadvertently" pilfered my pack for free edibles, may have a different response WRT "intent". :mad:

But either way, that Snickers was not going to remain litter for long. :cool:

I want to find the trail clean, so I don't leave my trash behind for others to find. Simple as that.

Ranc0r

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 11:49
Vonfrick and I pick up any litter we see, it's never that much in Maine. . . I've rarely met any AT hikers littering in the northeast part of the trail and on the rare they do, occassion simple conversation usually has a positive effect. . . :sun:sun

vonfrick
06-19-2009, 12:13
like the other poster said, i've lost a bandana and a pair of socks that were clipped on the back of my pack. :mad: nothing like losing a 20 dollar socks, especially when they're the dry ones you were counting on for later! :mad:

mostly i pick up trash along the way and try to take as much as i can from around the shelter areas. people must think that the little mylar corners from drink mixes and power bars must dissappear, because that's mainly what i find---everywhere.:rolleyes:

Cannibal
06-19-2009, 12:16
I did, when I was much younger. Dumb thing and I didn't understand the consequences of my actions back then. No excuse. I pay my penance now by picking up litter wherever I see it. It's not just the Trail that needs help.

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 12:18
I did, when I was much younger. Dumb thing and I didn't understand the consequences of my actions back then. No excuse. I pay my penance now by picking up litter wherever I see it. It's not just the Trail that needs help.
We all have a different perspective when we're younger. . . seeing the difference as we age can be as refreshing as being young. . .:sun

vonfrick
06-19-2009, 12:18
picking up trash.

is that like giving a hiker a ride?

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 12:21
picking up trash.

is that like giving a hiker a ride?
No, trash doesn't smell as bad in a clean car. . . :p