PDA

View Full Version : prescription medication

nickgoforth
06-19-2009, 13:18
Hi, I'm planning a thru-hike next spring, I take medication and wonder what I should do as far as pharmacies on the way. If it's not feasible to re-up along the trail I'll have to figure out another way. Thank you.....

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 13:23
Hi, I'm planning a thru-hike next spring, I take medication and wonder what I should do as far as pharmacies on the way. If it's not feasible to re-up along the trail I'll have to figure out another way. Thank you.....
Most pharmacies have a network that includes many others. . . talk to your local pharamacist and your doctor. . . they'll help you work it out. . . :)

Alaskanhkr23
06-19-2009, 13:26
MY doctor percribes me vicoden.

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 13:34
MY doctor percribes me vicoden.
Does that help with your spelling??

Hooch
06-19-2009, 13:36
MY doctor percribes me vicoden.Shame he can't prescribe you a clue to go with that. It might help some. By the way, it's Vicodin, which should be on the label affixed to your bottle.

Alligator
06-19-2009, 13:39
MY doctor percribes me vicoden.Thread's not about you quit trolling.

Alaskanhkr23
06-19-2009, 13:45
i was going to say,that if you tell your doctor about your trip i'm sure he could figure out a way to help you,like which towns have pharm. and if it's possible for you to stop at one,

Hooch
06-19-2009, 13:45
Another possibility is getting enough refills on your prescriptions that you can do mail order if you your insurance allows it. You can probably save a fair amount of money that way, depending on how many different medications you're on.

Alaskanhkr23
06-19-2009, 13:52
yeah my doctor,allows we 3 refill's while hiknig,and they just check in with him at the pharmacy,try what hooch said and see if you can get refill's

Hooch
06-19-2009, 14:06
i was going to say,that if you tell your doctor about your trip i'm sure he could figure out a way to help you,like which towns have pharm. and if it's possible for you to stop at one,Wow, is that the way it works? What a novel idea, stopping at a pharmacy to get medication. Brilliant.

CowHead
06-19-2009, 14:11
Just remember most medication has light, moisture, heat, and cold guidelines to keep them at their potency hiking in 100% humidity or temps below 40 will lessen their potency. I found of all places a tool discount store in their they had a medicine container that was air, water tight and hooks to the inside of my pack

Alaskanhkr23
06-19-2009, 14:15
just trying to help the person out,no need to be sarcastic HOOCH.

warraghiyagey
06-19-2009, 14:17
Yeah Hooch. . . . geeez. . . .

saimyoji
06-19-2009, 14:18

other than a pharmacy, where might one obtain prescip. meds.? i have no clue. :-?

Bearpaw
06-19-2009, 14:19

Thread's not about you quit trolling.

It was good advice 40 minutes ago, and it's still good advice now.

Mighty Mouse
06-19-2009, 14:22
Most pharmacies along the trail are quite accommodating. While you'll pay more for smaller quantities in the long run, most will break up your refills into smaller quantities. They'll even put your scripts into ziplock baggies that have a label on them, so you're all legit.

ZEKE #2
06-19-2009, 15:17
I used mail drops for my medications. I made sure that I had 6 months of refills and my daughter mailed them to me along the way.

I also required an additional medication for my bp on the trail. Went to the clinic in Damascus, the doctor wrote out a script for 4 months which the pharmacy filled for the complete amount.

Some insurances, if notified that you will be on a 6 month extended vacation will allow you to purchase a 6 month supply before you leave.

STEVEM
06-19-2009, 20:03

Since I'm not a doctor, this is only speculation:

I take (5) medications for high blood pressure. These drugs manage to keep my BP borderline high. If I hiked everyday and lost 20-30 Lbs there's a possibility that my BP would come down naturally and that the same (5) medications in their current dosages could actually be harmful.

In addition to being concerned about obtaining your medications I think it's necessary to discuss with your MD the possible effects of your medications given the physical challenges of long distance hiking. Some medications might require lower dosages and others might require higher dosages.

10-K
06-19-2009, 20:53

I take (5) medications for high blood pressure. These drugs manage to keep my BP borderline high. If I hiked everyday and lost 20-30 Lbs there's a possibility that my BP would come down naturally and that the same (5) medications in their current dosages could actually be harmful.

In addition to being concerned about obtaining your medications I think it's necessary to discuss with your MD the possible effects of your medications given the physical challenges of long distance hiking. Some medications might require lower dosages and others might require higher dosages.

Excellent, excellent suggestion. Thank you.

Hooch
06-19-2009, 21:25
http://metropolitician.blogs.com/scribblings_of_the_metrop/_files_troll_2.jpg

Yeah Hooch. . . . geeez. . . .

It was good advice 40 minutes ago, and it's still good advice now.Ayup.

sarbar
06-19-2009, 22:14

+100 on that. Very very important for those on meds for BP, heart issues, diabetes, etc to let their Dr. know.

As well, if you take ANYTHING that is a narcotic you MUST have it in a labeled container. Do NOT risk this in putting them in a bag. Just not a good idea - painkillers like Vitamin V are tightly controlled substances.

Phoenix7
06-19-2009, 22:56
I think that 3-month supplies of medications as opposed to the usual 1-month are available now. When I thru-hike I plan to use small ziploc bags to keep pills in. The problem with taking meds in the rain is that if you open the bottle the whole batch might get wet. I think it's better to pre-seal each daily dose into a small ziploc baggie.