PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hike cost

tkaser3210
06-19-2009, 16:05
I want to thru-hike in 2010, but I will be on a real budget. Is it realistic to limit expenses, including food, to $100 a week average? I am willing to pass up many of the zero days in towns, and spend my zero days in camp.

Lone Wolf
06-19-2009, 16:12
yes it is possible

Homer&Marje
06-19-2009, 17:10
Never done it...but I want to try that budget when I do. Figured 150-200 a week for me and the wife. Definitely doable if LW will provide water and beer at a lot of crossings through VA for me:D

Probably even without that. In all seriousness I think it's possible. But if you find yourself a month away from Katahdin and only 100 bucks....might wanna use it on a bus ticket:D

10-K
06-19-2009, 17:21
I don't know how much a thru hike would cost but it's got to be a lot cheaper than section hiking.

Personally, and this is just me, I think $6,000 would be about the right amount for me to feel comfortable starting a thru. Granted, I'm sure it is done by a lot of people for less but having more money than you need is never a problem. Not having enough is always a problem.

DavidNH
06-19-2009, 17:22
You want to do the trail on 100 a week average. Lets assume you take five months which is I think a fast pace but many of the younger crowd do that.
So five months comes to 20 weeks or 2000 dollars. 2000 dollars for the whole trail!

I won't say you can't do it and surely some succeed at this tight a budget. It won't be easy.

My advice.. minimize zero days (you ARE going to hike in the rain). Take very few hostel stays and hotels are out. You will have VERY few restaurant meals. That won't be easy.

I would mostly worry that you get up to NH and start running out of money.

Is the 2000 dollars Including or excluding getting to and from the trail?

David

Chaco Taco
06-19-2009, 17:45
Never done it...but I want to try that budget when I do. Figured 150-200 a week for me and the wife. Definitely doable if LW will provide water and beer at a lot of crossings through VA for me:D

Probably even without that. In all seriousness I think it's possible. But if you find yourself a month away from Katahdin and only 100 bucks....might wanna use it on a bus ticket:D

Screw that, you could hitch back anywhere.
If I was down to $100 and close to Katahdin, Id call anyone and beg for another $100 to finish.

$100 a week is doable, just dont stiff the hostels. Not saying you would, just be mindful of that. Whether you say it or not, alot of towns will draw you in whether its the weather or heat or tiredness. Always plan for the other stuff. if you find yourself getting low in VA, catch a bus and get to Bennington, VT and hike north from there.

Homer&Marje
06-19-2009, 17:55
I'd definitely call for a few bucks to finish...I wasn't assuming that the OP has someone else to support them if need be. I'd call.....doubt anyone would send me the money:D I'd get a....." You've been on vacation for how long?? While I have been working? And your out of money and want me to send you how much? Click......" erngghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Chaco Taco
06-19-2009, 17:58
I'd definitely call for a few bucks to finish...I wasn't assuming that the OP has someone else to support them if need be. I'd call.....doubt anyone would send me the money:D I'd get a....." You've been on vacation for how long?? While I have been working? And your out of money and want me to send you how much? Click......" erngghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Hmm, I had to make that call. Family was like "Go finish". They wouldnt let me not finish after making it all that way.

Nean
06-19-2009, 18:00
Do you drink beer? If you answer yes, you don't have enough!:D If you answer no, then you can afford to bring a friend!:)*

*as long as they don't drink beer either:)

Chaco Taco
06-19-2009, 18:05
Do you drink beer? If you answer yes, you don't have enough!:D If you answer no, then you can afford to bring a friend!:)*
*as long as they don't drink beer either:)

or whiskey

Lone Wolf
06-19-2009, 20:33
I don't know how much a thru hike would cost but it's got to be a lot cheaper than section hiking.

Personally, and this is just me, I think $6,000 would be about the right amount for me to feel comfortable starting a thru. Granted, I'm sure it is done by a lot of people for less but having more money than you need is never a problem. Not having enough is always a problem.

perfect. no need to suffer and run to maine for a friggin picture on a mountain that a week later everyone at home forgets about. then show up at trail days the following year 50 lbs. heavier walkin' under a banner in the parade sayin' "class of whatever" :cool:

stranger
06-20-2009, 07:14
$2000 would be a comfortable amount for a nice 700-800 mile section hike, or even up to Harpers Ferry. It would be very tough "for the average" hiker to keep to that amount over 5 months.

You say you will take zeros in the woods? Really? Have you done this before or is this something you "plan" on doing? Many hikers "plan" on avoiding towns and by the time they hit the Smokies have blown $50-200 at Neels Gap, $100 in Hiawassee, $80 in Franklin and another $50 at NOC, most of those dollars are unplanned.

It certainly can be done, but it will take discipline. If you only use hostels, only split hotel rooms, don't have to replace any gear, don't drink alot, don't smoke, don't get hurt, don't eat in alot of restaurants, and don't go into every little town, it can be done fairly easily.

But just between Springer Mountain and Damascus, off the top of my head I can name 15 places (not facilities, I mean opportunities) to spend money, that works out to approximately 1 every 30 miles, and I've seen hikers use every single one, and run out of money in the middle of Virginia.

World-Wide
06-20-2009, 09:17
I want to thru-hike in 2010, but I will be on a real budget. Is it realistic to limit expenses, including food, to $100 a week average? I am willing to pass up many of the zero days in towns, and spend my zero days in camp.

Doubt me before you ever doubt any of these folks on WB who have either section hiked or thru-hiked. From everything I've read and have viewed via DVD, back in the day you could hike the AT for a dollar a mile. These days, 2-3 dollars a mile is more realistic. But if thriftiness is your primary as you thru-hike, I suppose anything is possible!! :D Best of luck to you and your budget!! :sun

peakbagger
06-20-2009, 10:03
My observations over the years are that if you are into the "social" aspects of the trail rather than being a "loner", that the costs go up. Basically the folks who hike in groups, want to stay in groups for at least a period of time. If the group goes into town and you are trying to stay on a budget, you either go into town and spend money or you end up getting out of synch with the group as you keep hiking north while they are taking a zero. When the group wants to share a hotel room and a pizza, over the long run they are still spending a lot more time and money than someone staying out on the trail then makes a quick resupply into town when needed and then heads back out of town the same day.

Nothing right or wrong with either approach as long as you plan for it in advance and pay for what services you use.

double d
06-20-2009, 10:53
perfect. no need to suffer and run to maine for a friggin picture on a mountain that a week later everyone at home forgets about. then show up at trail days the following year 50 lbs. heavier walkin' under a banner in the parade sayin' "class of whatever" :cool:
Intesting point, but the thru hiker who makes it to Maine won't soon forget. I know I would feel a great sense of accomplishment that thru hikers feel on top of Mt.K

garlic08
06-20-2009, 10:56
Here's an applicable 2003 article by Weathercarrot: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=22959#post22959

It definitely can be done. Best of luck.

tkaser3210
06-20-2009, 11:06
Some additional info on original post

I am not going to start the trip with only $2000 available - if it ends up costing $3000 or $4000, I will still have the resources to finish; dollars won't be the limiting factor. That said, if I do spend $4000, obviously that's $2000 I will not have budgeted specifically for the trip, and it will have to come from the general family budget.

The $100 a week magic number comes from some basic math (and rationalization); my current truck lease is up next March. It's about $400 a month, and I won't need to have a vehicle while on the trail, so I'm allocating the lease payment amount to trip cost.

Many good comments in response to my initial post. Thank you.

I am not a social hiker. I will turn 68 halfway thru the trip, and I am doing the trip as an adventure, not a social event. I do drink beer, but it's not a necessity; I can do without. I'm not anti-social by any means, and I appreciate the comments about responsibilties to pay for services and hospitality. I will definitely be able to pay my way. I Know I will hike in the rain (or worse); I know I will still do some overnites in town, but I will try to keep them to a minimum.

I have two primary motivators for my trip. First, it's a life-long ambition. Second, I am getting pledges (per mile) to raise money for a special local not-for-profit organization.

$100 a week will probably be my goal. That does not include the trip to Springer or home from Katahdin. Also, I will take a week off when my son comes home from Afghanistan next summer, and that cost is not included in the $100 a week.

jersey joe
06-20-2009, 11:47
You can easily hike the AT for $100 a week if you limit your time in towns.

ShelterLeopard
06-20-2009, 12:37
Sure that's possible (one hundred per week)- it mainly depends on how many hostels you want to stay in.

Highway Man
06-20-2009, 18:23
Limiting your town time is the most efficiently way to save your money. Figuring out the proper geras at different times is also important in order to avoid reinvestment. I can easily spend a couple of hundreds of bucks at a 1 1/2 zero days in the town. That includs lodging, dining, change of gears...

Frosty
06-20-2009, 20:28
You can easily hike the AT for $100 a week if you limit your time in towns.Not many opportunities to spend money in the woods, that's for sure.

In 2006 I ran into a couple youngsters who were taking a zero at Low Gap shelter. Needed an off day and didn't want to spend money on a motel and the attendant food purchases that come with a night in town. Good for them!

Me, my old bones enjoy a night in a bed every week or so, and after 4-5 days I get to craving fresh fruit and veggies. And hamburgers :D

Feral Bill
06-20-2009, 21:28
It looks like you're retirement age so it's not costing you not to work. You have to eat anyway, so that's not really costing you. I expect an occasional night out and weekend away would be costing you at least as much as town days. Looks to me like you can turn a nice profit if you play your cards right.:)

Panzer1
06-21-2009, 00:58
...and spend my zero days in camp.

I zeroed in camp once before but it was the most boring time I ever had on the trail. There's nothing to do.

Panzer

seaside
06-21-2009, 22:51
Hmm, I had to make that call. Family was like "Go finish". They wouldnt let me not finish after making it all that way.
Amen to that, Chac. I agree. If you are that close, work somewhere along the trail for a few days. Something just to finish. The rewards seem to far outweigh not finishing.