PDA

View Full Version : Starting a NoBo in late February- will everything be open?

ShelterLeopard
06-19-2009, 22:10
I'm starting my NoBo in late February, and I was just wondering- will everything be open? Hostels, parks, etc... I already know that the park office won't be open to get a permit to go through the Smokies, so do I still need to get a permit? (I'm planning to take about five months) I know I'll be too early for most hiker festivals like Trail days (a pity, I know!).

Bearpaw
06-19-2009, 22:58
I'm starting my NoBo in late February, and I was just wondering- will everything be open? Hostels, parks, etc... I already know that the park office won't be open to get a permit to go through the Smokies, so do I still need to get a permit? (I'm planning to take about five months) I know I'll be too early for most hiker festivals like Trail days (a pity, I know!).

Some hostels may still be closed.

You'll get your permit at the Fontana Marina. It's a self-registration box, not a staffed center. You write "thru-hiker" on it and walk north.

Ox97GaMe
06-20-2009, 22:40
Several of the hostels are not open year round, so you may end up staying in hotels in som of the towns. The hiking guide books give dates that hostels open/close if it applies.

Also note that Fontana Village will not be operating at full capacity that early. Their little store will have few, if any supplies that early. The good news there, however is that the Hike Inn hostel is open year round and runs shuttles to Robbinsville for resupply if needed.

10-K
06-21-2009, 14:16
How late in February?

The Solemates
06-21-2009, 17:54
some may be closed, but i wouldnt worry about it. you'll be fine.

Lone Wolf
06-21-2009, 21:25

you're not gonna be in the wilds of alaska. motels and grocery stores will be open. what else do you need? you'
ll miss TDs. no biggie. trust me