PDA

View Full Version : Appytrails tent/tarp/tarptent

El Toro '94
06-20-2009, 02:16
Has anyone used one of these? A 3 person floorless for about 100 buks, weighing in at 18 oz. or the 5 person, 6 ft tall for about $20 more and 30 oz. Reminds me of a lighter version of the canvas tipi tents we had in scouts.
Just saw it on the web. was leaning toward tarptent, but the price difference........+ 6 feet of headroom.
Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? Or hear of anything?

Snowleopard
06-20-2009, 09:02
I've been tempted by these also. It looks like a simple, basic design. Just remember that it doesn't have a floor, so it won't be completely sealed for bugs and snakes if that's a problem where you are. Tarptents can have problems with condensation in some climates. There are some preliminary reviews at:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tarps%20and%20Bivys/Appy%20Trails%20Mark%20III%20Tent/
They mostly like it (3 man version).

Mauby
09-08-2009, 11:45
Hey, I'm resurrecting this to find out if anyone has tried one of these over the summer. Curious about its durability, etc.

skinewmexico
09-08-2009, 12:26
We got a couple to test for our scout troop, but haven't had them out in any rain. Seem OK so far. Weight and price are tough to beat.

Greenmountainguy
11-30-2016, 20:45
I have one of the bigger models that I have modified. I should have bought the smaller model. This winter I will modify it still further by reducing the size, perhaps by folding the walls under and stitching reinforced attachment points.
The quality is good.
I added Velcro to the doors for easier closing and made a detachable piece of screen for the door. I made storm flaps (there is no floor) but may remove them when modifying further. My model is really too big. It is almost 5 feet tall when set up as designed. Even the smaller model has a high profile, although (based on the Boy Scout tent) it is well designed to shed wind and precipitation. If the Appie website is still up, check it out. The testimonials are impressive. I have not used it as much as I should, since airborne blood suckers predominate where I walk. The screen should help that.
If I could find the right zipper, I would probably install one.
Like all tarp/tents it is not free standing, which cuts into the choice of campsite and lengthens the set up time (I think, I never timed it.) For most walks, it would not be an issue.
For most of us, buy the three man, plenty of room for two plus gear.