PDA

View Full Version : what's on your food dehydrator?

Pages : [1] 2

LaurieAnn
06-20-2009, 09:42
Well in less than a week I will be off on an 8 day wilderness trip so the food dehydrator is running full tilt.

Today's first round has...

2 trays of Harvest Pork and Apple Stew

While I don't often dry ingredients separately for meals there are a few exceptions...

for a backcountry Chicken Pot Pie
1 tray of Cream of Chicken Soup (Campbell's Low Fat)
1 tray of Green Giant Frozen Mixed Veggies (corn, peas, carrots, green beans)

for backcountry pizza...
1 tray of homemade pizza sauce
1 tray of sliced Roma tomatoes
1 tray of feta cheese

for a snack of salsa with tortilla chips...
1 tray of Tropical Salsa

Then when that is done I'll be drying...

2 trays of ravioli
1 tray of tapenade
2 trays of Quinoa and Spinach Soup
2 trays of Sunny Garlic Hummus

It's going to be a busy weekend because I need to cook most of the dishes too. I will probably double the recipes and put the other halves in the freezer for quick dinners at home later on. I'm all about doing that so it saves time later. Often I dry leftovers but my darling husband got into the leftover Chipotle Pulled Pork that I was going dry. Men! lol

hoz
06-20-2009, 09:55
You sure eat good on your trips Laurie. Can I come too?

Dicentra
06-20-2009, 10:17
I need to get GoBlueHiker's meals to him, so I'll be running the dehydrator full tilt today (and prolly tomorrow) too.

I *do* do individual ingredients. I think you get more variety in the end that way.

Not sure on tray counts yet b/c I have to go to the store first, but I plan on doing artichoke hearts, pasta, rice, chicken, tomatoes and maybe peas.

I did inventory last night and I'm out of a LOT of stuff! I need to do mushrooms, but hubby got mad last time I ran a full machine of mushrooms. He hates mushrooms and the house had an "earthy" smell to it... Oops. I'll do those outside later at some point.

LaurieAnn
06-20-2009, 10:25
You sure eat good on your trips Laurie. Can I come too?

Anytime! I figure this is my vacation and I don't want to eat like crap. It all adds to the experience, in my opinion. Plus, at the end of a rough day it can certainly bring people together and lighten everyone's spirits.

LaurieAnn
06-20-2009, 10:28
I need to get GoBlueHiker's meals to him, so I'll be running the dehydrator full tilt today (and prolly tomorrow) too.

I *do* do individual ingredients. I think you get more variety in the end that way.

I have to respectfully disagree on the variety comment and also flavor-wise... take stews and soups for example. Adding individually dried ingredients to a baggie and then water at camp doesn't allow flavors to develop and meld which is what makes soups and stews fantastic. When you cook it as a meal and then dry it that way the flavors are enhanced. After all, soup and stew is always better the second day and this is why.

Dicentra
06-20-2009, 10:29
*shrugs*

HYOH.

I likes my food.

Snowleopard
06-20-2009, 11:20
2 trays of ravioli
I love ravioli! That's inspiring.
Are these the usual Italian ravioli, about 1"-1.5" across?
Mixed with sauce before you dry them?
How does the rehydrating work with them?

How many cups of soup to a tray?
How thick do you put something like pea soup or lentil soup on the tray?

Pick your own strawberries should be in season here soon. Just slice them and dry?

I'll probably be on the trail around July 4.

Jofish
06-20-2009, 11:50
As a semi-hijack of this thread, what model dehydrator do you use?

LaurieAnn
06-20-2009, 11:51
I have used the 1 inch chesse and spinach ravioli before but these little guys are homemade with a veggie stuffing. In this case the sauce doesn't use ingredients that need dried but if I am using a sauce that requires dehydrating I dry and rehydrate it separately.

Rehydrating ravioli works pretty well. I partially cook them first (remove them just before al dente). Space them apart on the trays (I line with parchment) and run the unit until they are dry all the way through. At camp I add enough boiling water to just cover them and let them sit. Some types come back in 15 minutes or less and others have taken 1/2 hour... just depends on the size and filling.

I generally put 1 3/4 - 2 cups of soup per tray. Depends on the soup. Today's is 2 cups. I try to have it just slightly over 1/4 inch deep especially with something like lentil soup.

Strawberries are super easy... in season here too. I just slice and dry. No need to pre-treat them.

You'll be hitting the trail just before I get back from the world's largest old-growth red pine forest. I can't wait... I really need to get out as the first part of this year was awful for us.

LaurieAnn
06-20-2009, 11:58
As a semi-hijack of this thread, what model dehydrator do you use?

Nesco FD 75 PR and before that I used a Nesco FD 50. I know there are other, more expensive models but with all the drying I do for the cookbooks and such these two units have performed extremely well.

The FD 50 is now with my sister as I owed her a dehydrator as her Mr. Coffee unit, which was crap, got lost in our house fire. But anyway... before I get too far off the question... I do have a few criteria...

For me, it is important that there be an adjustable thermostat and that the unit be 500 watts or more for effieciency. An on/off switch or timer isn't a big deal. I use a power bar if I want a switch. For a timer I use a standard light timer... you know the type you use to make people think someone is home. Works like a charm. It has to be expandable as well. I generally run between 5 and 12 trays at a time but the average is around 8.

Hope that helps.

Jofish
06-20-2009, 12:28
Hope that helps.

Sure does. Thanks!

saimyoji
06-20-2009, 13:03
love this stuff after a few hours in the dehydrator:

http://www.handsofhopedisasterreliefservices.org/b2b/pics/Cuttlefish.jpg

Jo-To
06-20-2009, 13:56
I just finished up some Bison jerky,strawberries and bannans.Now i'm getting ready to do some chicken and smoked salmon.

Jo-To
06-20-2009, 14:08
Almost forgot,i'm going to attempt to make some strawberry/rasberry fruit roll-ups and some black beans too.

Snowleopard
06-20-2009, 14:14
LauriAnn, many thanks for the info.
"the world's largest old-growth red pine forest" Have a great time.
--Walter

bigcranky
06-20-2009, 16:39
4 gallons of strawberries last month. 5 pounds of sweet cherries last week. Mmmmm dried fruit on homemade granola. Yum.

Chowder
06-20-2009, 17:01
Another side question (since I'm new to dehydrating food), if you don't mind - What have you found to be the best way to store and carry dehydrated food on hikes? Do you use those fancy vacuum seal pouches, simple ziplock bags, or other?

Thanks a bunch!!

LaurieAnn
06-20-2009, 19:07
I got tired of vacuum seal pouches failing and it drives me crazy that I can't reuse them so I use aLoksaks from http://www.loksak.com and ziploc freezer bags if I don't have enough aLoksaks on hand. I like that the aLoksaks are reusable and I tend to pack freezer bags out for reuse at home (school lunches and the like). I do my rehydration in a wide-mouth (non BPA) Nalgene. Ya, I know I have to wash it but I'd rather do that than use the plastics. It's a HYOH deal but that's just my way of doing things.

hoz
06-20-2009, 19:24
Where is this oldest Red Pine forest Laurie? Temegami?

I saw some pretty big specimens on the Spanish River.

LaurieAnn
06-20-2009, 19:39
It's at Wolf Lake (http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini5.htm) in the Chiniguchi area of Temagami. This one's a paddling trip with some good bushwhacking type day hikes (one will be to the top of the hill to take a nice panoramic like you see on the site). It's going to be pretty buggy though. It would have been a backpacking trip but I have a dear friend who has been pestering us to go to Temagami with him for quite some time. That, and I like backpacking later in the year when the bugs are gone. Anyway, the route we are doing lies mainly within what is called the Middle Tracks.

As you can see, I am pretty excited. I haven't been out in the bush for more than 4 nights straight in over a year because of the book release (signings and such), Bryan's (hubby) work travel and some other issues... so it's going to be just what I need. Tobias (my little guy) had a choice between soccer and wilderness trips and he chose the latter.

The only thing is that the dates crept up on me and Bryan has decided he doesn't want an all vegan/vegetarian diet on the trip (I have lots of that in the freezer and he's such a pain ;) )... so I'm madly drying some meat based dishes for him.

I'm going to try and take lots of photos on the trip and I'll post a link to my trip report when all is said and done.

Sorry I rambled on there... just really jazzed up about vacation time :)

mudcap
06-20-2009, 20:54
I have to respectfully disagree on the variety comment and also flavor-wise... take stews and soups for example. Adding individually dried ingredients to a baggie and then water at camp doesn't allow flavors to develop and meld which is what makes soups and stews fantastic. When you cook it as a meal and then dry it that way the flavors are enhanced. After all, soup and stew is always better the second day and this is why.

Maybe someday you will get on with your own hike...instead of haunting Dicentra.:(

Pretty sad !!!!:cool:

Frosty
06-20-2009, 21:20
Maybe someday you will get on with your own hike...instead of haunting Dicentra.:(

Pretty sad !!!!:cool: Maybe someday you will get on with your own hike...instead of haunting LaurieAnn.:(

Actually, I thought your post was pretty funny, one of those unintentional pot and kettle things...

LaurieAnn
06-20-2009, 22:02

lol - if you read the thread it appears that it is actually the other way around...

as I said... I respectfully disagree... it's merely a matter of opinion

regardless your post, mudcap, was pretty funny ;)

LaurieAnn
06-20-2009, 22:11
Maybe someday you will get on with your own hike...instead of haunting LaurieAnn.:(

Actually, I thought your post was pretty funny, one of those unintentional pot and kettle things...

lol... couldn't have said it better myself... so back to the subject of dehydrating food... any more questions?

Hooch
06-20-2009, 22:14
.......2 trays of Harvest Pork and Apple Stew.......This sounds quite yummy. I make a braised pork and apple stew in the winter when it's nice and cold outside. Good stuff. I'll have to try dehydrating some of it later this year when it gets cold. Thanks for the idea.

LaurieAnn
06-20-2009, 22:17
Anytime... Just be sure the pork is cooked well enough that you can shred it or cut it into very small pieces... which it will be in a stew. I usually use a pork shoulder (not the cured or pickled kind, of course) and I try to remove as much fat as possible. It comes back better than chicken and it's a really nice change. I find that there aren't that many pork-based recipes out there for the trail. Sometimes to bump up the calories we serve it with rice or egg noodles.

Allen1901
06-21-2009, 06:45
I'm drying Kroger's store brand 6 cheese pasta sauce. Try it, it's really good.
It's often on sale for 1.00 a jar.

Cheers!

LaurieAnn
06-21-2009, 08:58
Today I will be drying...

for muffins...

- strawberries
- cooked quinoa

for dinners...

- Spinach and Quinoa Soup

for lunches...

- Olive Tapenade (the recipe came from my friend Alison)
- Lemon Wasabi Hummus

not sure what else... I should take a photo of everything when it is all dried and packaged up.

Wise Old Owl
06-21-2009, 10:44
Today I will be drying...

for muffins...

- strawberries
- cooked quinoa

for dinners...

- Spinach and Quinoa Soup

for lunches...

- Olive Tapenade (the recipe came from my friend Alison)
- Lemon Wasabi Hummus

not sure what else... I should take a photo of everything when it is all dried and packaged up.

LaurieAnn,

You appear to be on a drying / cooking quest what is the upcoming trip?

Dicentra
06-21-2009, 11:43
I didn't manage to get the dehydrator out yesterday. Had too much other stuff going on.

Running full speed today!

2 trays basmati rice
2 trays tomatoes
1 tray artichoke hearts
1 tray canned chicken
1 tray carrot shreds
1 tray quinoa (cooking now - will be ready to add in a few minutes)

I need to do pasta later b/c GoBlueHiker requested a specific meal in his supply box - have to go to the store first for that though. No worries. Pasta is fast to dry!

LaurieAnn
06-21-2009, 11:44
I mentioned it back in post number 20... so you don't have to scroll back I'll just make a quick mention (lol - well quick for me).

I leave on Saturday for the Chiniguchi Waterway system (Middle Tracks) in Temagami, Ontario. I mentioned it in another thread but it's the world's largest old-growth red pine forest (http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini5.htm). The trip is of the paddling variety with a layover to do some hiking. I treat canoe trips just like backpacking trips as I don't like to have to double walk portages when I don't have to. Anyway this area has similar topography and the same white granite hills as Killarney. There are beautiful blue-green waters too. We are going with a dear friend of ours, an older fellow who has been canoeing Temagami for probably 30 years or more. He's a Virginian ex-pat and quite the character so it should be fun.

So yes, I am on a marathon of sorts. This menu is a combination of old favorites and some new recipes. As I mentioned earlier, Mr. Meatatarian, my darling husband, was having some difficulty with my all vegetarian menu so I was required to throw in some of his favorite standbys. Speaking of which, I'd better get back to testing my new dip recipe and then weeding my herb garden.

LaurieAnn
06-21-2009, 11:53
Wise Old Owl... here is some more information on the area (in case you are interested). http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini1.htm

Wise Old Owl
06-21-2009, 12:05
I mentioned it back in post number 20... so you don't have to scroll back I'll just make a quick mention (lol - well quick for me).

I leave on Saturday for the Chiniguchi Waterway system (Middle Tracks) in Temagami, Ontario. I mentioned it in another thread but it's the world's largest old-growth red pine forest (http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini5.htm). The trip is of the paddling variety with a layover to do some hiking. I treat canoe trips just like backpacking trips as I don't like to have to double walk portages when I don't have to. Anyway this area has similar topography and the same white granite hills as Killarney. There are beautiful blue-green waters too. We are going with a dear friend of ours, an older fellow who has been canoeing Temagami for probably 30 years or more. He's a Virginian ex-pat and quite the character so it should be fun.

So yes, I am on a marathon of sorts. This menu is a combination of old favorites and some new recipes. As I mentioned earlier, Mr. Meatatarian, my darling husband, was having some difficulty with my all vegetarian menu so I was required to throw in some of his favorite standbys. Speaking of which, I'd better get back to testing my new dip recipe and then weeding my herb garden.

The trip looks fantastic - I am guessing the location is Algonquin or nearby- as it looks very similar to one of my 80 mile canoe trips. Google Earth can't find the indian name.

Your husband has my empathy - but tell him if he sticks too it he will stay skinny.....:D

LaurieAnn
06-21-2009, 12:36
Thanks... Lake Wahnapitei would be the closest spot (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wahnapitei+11&sll=46.62492,-80.117798&sspn=1.354349,2.062683&ie=UTF8&cd=1&ll=46.725742,-80.576477&spn=0.675911,1.031342&z=10). You'll see an A on the map and a bigger body of water. The little cluster of lakes directly to the right is Chiniguchi. Bryan has GPS coordinates if you want them.

It's a bit north of Algonquin... it's east of Sudbury and west of North Bay if that helps. Less hardwoods and more old growth pine than Algonquin too. We will be visiting with an Ojibwe elder the night before the trip. He still lives on the ancestral lands in Temagami but has a place in River Valley. We'll either be camping at his place in River Valley or staying on crown land the first night and then having a local lodge shuttle us into the access. We like to support the local businesses plus they take care of our car. If you leave it at the access there could be issues with break-ins because of local teens with too much time on their hands.

LaurieAnn
06-21-2009, 12:37
Now I am grilling some asparagus to be dehydrated... better go watch it so it doesn't burn... there is a fine line between grilled and burned... lol.

Tinker
06-21-2009, 14:15
What's on my dehydrator right now?

Nothing. (I've taken ultralight hiking to the "next level"). ;)

skinewmexico
06-21-2009, 15:35
I'm experimenting. Did some chicken and chili yesterday, and testing differences between canned and frozen veggies. Trying soups today, and some kind of Rice-a-roni cassarole my wife had left over. I'm a little worried about the polish sausage in it though.

russb
06-21-2009, 15:44
I just finished drying a breakfast casserole made with oatmeal bread, eggs, milk, cheese,mushrooms, and onions.

Wise Old Owl
06-21-2009, 19:36
I just finished drying a breakfast casserole made with oatmeal bread, eggs, milk, cheese,mushrooms, and onions.

uhh OK how did that turn out?

russb
06-21-2009, 19:46
uhh OK how did that turn out?

Awesome! It is the only dehydrated breakfast I make/eat. It is slightly different every time due to using different breads and cheeses.

LaurieAnn
06-21-2009, 20:06
russb - that sounds really good. I've never dried eggs before. I was always a little afraid of that.

skinewmexico - I've dried sausage before... just use it up fairly quickly because the fat can go rancid.

russb
06-21-2009, 20:14
russb - that sounds really good. I've never dried eggs before. I was always a little afraid of that.

The casserole is cooked first. No worries. I will Pm you the full recipe to try it.

Allen1901
06-22-2009, 07:14
... I'm a little worried about the polish sausage in it though.

It will probably be OK if You store it in the freezer untill You hike.

Cheers!

LaurieAnn
06-22-2009, 09:12
The casserole is cooked first. No worries. I will Pm you the full recipe to try it.

Thank you (got it)! Looks delicious.

It will probably be OK if You store it in the freezer untill You hike.

Cheers!

That's what I do with a dish I make that has Italian sausage and then I try to use it during the first week out.

medicjimr
06-22-2009, 16:26
LaurieAnn you most likely can answer this question since I am still a newbie with dehydrator. can you dehydrate different items at once on separate trays as long as drying at same temp. reason asking was concerned odors or flavors would cross over .

LaurieAnn
06-22-2009, 16:59
Some odors will cross over so it isn't a good idea to dry your curried chicken dish next to the tray of strawberries... unless you like strawberries ala curry (actually you never know - it might be good).

Take yesterday as an example. One of the things I dried was an Olive Tapenade. This has a really strong flavor so when I dried that it was in a separate run. With it I dried a tray of olives for wraps and pizzas. It was a pretty smelly evening (good thing it was nice out and I could open the kitchen door).

The first round and second round I did on the trays earlier in the weekend were together. None of those items transfer flavors really so it was all good.

medicjimr
06-22-2009, 17:04
Thanks LaurieAnn I was thinking more on the line of peas carrots and corn I wouldn't even think of dehydrating my chili and clam chowder together eeewww. LoL thanks again

LaurieAnn
06-22-2009, 20:59
You won't have any issues there. Ya chili and clam chowder could be... um... interesting... lol.

russb
06-23-2009, 08:42
You won't have any issues there. Ya chili and clam chowder could be... um... interesting... lol.

If it was manhattan clam chowder, it might not be as bad, but with a new england clam chowedr... eeech.

random thought... a clam based chili? perhaps with white beans, chili peppers, onions, garlic, white wine, some cumin. I'll have to give this one a thought or two.

russb
06-23-2009, 08:43
If it was manhattan clam chowder, it might not be as bad, but with a new england clam chowedr... eeech.

random thought... a clam based chili? perhaps with white beans, chili peppers, onions, garlic, white wine, some cumin. I'll have to give this one a thought or two.

quick google search yielded this:
http://restaurant-hospitality.com/online_exclusives/recipes/clam-chili-0205/

Dicentra
06-23-2009, 09:55
Madly trying to get GoBlueHiker's food done... Ran more trays last night.

3 rice
2 TJ's marinara sauce (yeah, I'm cheating a bit - no time to order)
1 blackeyed peas
1 white beans

work work work! This is fun! :)

LaurieAnn
06-23-2009, 13:21

You know that sounds good. When I get back from my trip I'll have to play around with that idea. I do make a "Baked Clam Chowder". It tastes like New England Clam Chowder (for the most part) but is like a Stratta or Bread Pudding. Alas, it isn't for those who aren't into backcountry baking though.

russb
06-23-2009, 13:40
You know that sounds good. When I get back from my trip I'll have to play around with that idea. I do make a "Baked Clam Chowder". It tastes like New England Clam Chowder (for the most part) but is like a Stratta or Bread Pudding. Alas, it isn't for those who aren't into backcountry baking though.

I think I will play around with it too. When we are done, maybe we can post our recipes for each other to try?

LaurieAnn
06-23-2009, 13:47
That would be so much fun! Great idea!

medicjimr
06-23-2009, 14:08
That would be so much fun! Great idea!

Look what my smart alack post did lol :p

LaurieAnn
06-23-2009, 19:15
Look what my smart alack post did lol :p

See, you never know where inspiration can stem from... sometimes the weirdest places... :D

IceAge
06-24-2009, 14:26
I just dried a dehydrator full of Trader Joe's Prig Khing green beans, they are awesome! Sweet and spicy at the same time, plus they look like dried nightcrawlers, so that's what I tell people I am eating and then I don't have to share!

I dried 4 pints of strawberries last weekend, they get so small! 4 pints ends up filling 1/4" of the bottom of a Ziploc

medicjimr
06-24-2009, 16:27
The dehydrator is my favorite backpacking tool. Love the less weight and bulk and the better and healthier selection and of course the cost comparison of freezed dried. and did I mention it's fun

LaurieAnn
06-24-2009, 16:40
I think it's fun too... but right now I am dealing with the overwhelming smell of roasted garlic. Stinky stuff... there won't be any vampires around here tonight I suppose.

Dicentra
06-24-2009, 19:08
I just dried a dehydrator full of Trader Joe's Prig Khing green beans, they are awesome! Sweet and spicy at the same time, plus they look like dried nightcrawlers, so that's what I tell people I am eating and then I don't have to share!

I dried 4 pints of strawberries last weekend, they get so small! 4 pints ends up filling 1/4" of the bottom of a Ziploc

Do you rehydrate the green beans or eat them crunchy? How bad did they stink while dehydrating?

Chowder
06-24-2009, 19:19
Sorry for the newbie question, but do you tend to see much change in the nutritional value of meals between before and after dehydrating them? I doubt there would be much difference, but I don't know if the loss of water affects other things as well, especially in plain fruits and veggies.

LaurieAnn
06-24-2009, 21:03
Luckily this is one of those preservation methods where any nutritional loss is nominal if it even happens at all. You do lose water and sugars are concentrated if it is something you aren't adding water back into. Dried fruit is a prime example.

mudcap
06-24-2009, 22:00
Do you rehydrate the green beans or eat them crunchy? How bad did they stink while dehydrating?

Ditto,Dicentra's question...I am interested in this too.

sarbar
06-24-2009, 23:23
The only real off thing I would add is this:
If you dry salty things, they tend to get even more salty tasting. Not always a bad thing....but one reason why dehydrating canned beef stew doesn't always work so well. Drying can also affect the taste of highly processed foods, concentrating the flavors so think it out first :)

LaurieAnn
06-25-2009, 09:19
I may have mentioned this before but if something does have an odour (asparagus is a good example)... just place a fan in the kitchen window to suck the offensive air out. If you happen to have a covered patio that's a good spot too.

LaurieAnn
06-25-2009, 09:32
Speaking of asparagus....

I'm just about to take off two types of bean based dips which have been dried to a powder.... one is a Lemon Wasabi Hummus (from A Fork in the Trail) and the other is an Asparagus and Bean Dip (it was pretty smelly on the dryer but is delicious).

Dicentra
06-25-2009, 10:27
The next time I dry mushrooms (which is gonna have to be soon) the dehydrator is banned outside... Hubby HATES mushrooms. Only to come home after a day of drying 8 trays of them... he was not pleased. lol.

sarbar
06-25-2009, 10:38
Funny is...I love the smell of concentrated mushrooms when drying (though I can see how some wouldn't). It smells of the earth :D

LaurieAnn
06-25-2009, 11:47
I think I am on the last round of dehydrating for the wilderness trip and then I can concentrate on packing the dried goods and gear.

Right now I have the super smelly stuff going....

- a bruschetta-like mixture that will be for pasta (with some olive oil and cheese added at camp)

- an olive/red pepper dip

- sliced olives (just to fill a space on one of the trays)

- roasted garlic (this will be ground afterwards and taken to be used in bannock)

LaurieAnn
06-26-2009, 00:16
oops... forgot... had to dry some more quinoa for a breakfast dish... so I should be done drying by morning. Then I just have to finish packing.

Chowder
06-26-2009, 08:09
Good luck on your trip. Hope you get some great weather. I should be picking up my first dehydrator this weekend, so I'm looking forward to trying out some of the ideas in this thread!

IceAge
06-26-2009, 09:22

Ditto,Dicentra's question...I am interested in this too.

I eat them crunchy, they are an outstanding snack. As far as stink, it made the house smell like Prig Khing sauce. Not the greatest smell in the world, but not bad either.

LaurieAnn
06-26-2009, 10:12
Good luck on your trip. Hope you get some great weather. I should be picking up my first dehydrator this weekend, so I'm looking forward to trying out some of the ideas in this thread!

Thanks... keep hoping... so far this is the forecast....

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fourteenday/caon0664

Yesterday we had heavy rains/severe thunderstorms as I was pulling the gear from the closet... lol. Still, being in the wilderness, even with the rain, is better than being in the city!

When I get back I can answer any questions you have. You'll have lots of fun experimenting.

Dicentra
06-26-2009, 10:27
I eat them crunchy, they are an outstanding snack. As far as stink, it made the house smell like Prig Khing sauce. Not the greatest smell in the world, but not bad either.

I bet they WOULD be a good snack! I'll have to do those outside too, I think. :eek:

Thanks for the idea!! :)

Dicentra
06-26-2009, 10:28
Is there no edit feature on this thing?

IceAge - If I make them, I'll be sure to mention you in my blog. :)

TFin04
06-26-2009, 12:12
Did 1lb of beef jerky (uncooked weight) last night for my weekend trip. Came out very good as always.

IceAge
06-26-2009, 14:14
Is there no edit feature on this thing?

IceAge - If I make them, I'll be sure to mention you in my blog. :)

Thanks, and just so you know, Donating Members are allowed to edit.

Zac
06-29-2009, 17:03
I'm using a Nesco American Harvest. I have done some left over Easy Skillet with ground venison. Everything is dry and hard as a rock. I am still new at this and experimenting. Opinions are very welcome. My question is should I use a 1:1 water ratio or more? That's what is on my trays. Thanks.

russb
06-29-2009, 17:15
Zac, Everything is a little different. I rehydrate in a pot by just covering the food with water and bringing it to a boil, I then add water as needed. After a while you get to know your foods and how much water is needed.

sarbar
06-29-2009, 18:10
Zac, Everything is a little different. I rehydrate in a pot by just covering the food with water and bringing it to a boil, I then add water as needed. After a while you get to know your foods and how much water is needed.

A great answer :) Starting with 1:1 ratio or covered with water is a good starting point. If it is a stew or soup though, start with 2:1 and add more as needed.

Allen1901
07-02-2009, 10:19
Taco Bell "Fire" sauce. I empty the foil packets on parchment paper far enough apart that they don't run together.

Cheers!

LaurieAnn
07-12-2009, 18:59
Well... I am going on another wilderness trip in about 3 and 1/2 weeks. Tonight I will be putting Baja Chicken (a spicy chicken and bean dish) on the dehydrator. Not sure if I will dry anything with it yet... maybe some salsa and tomato slices to fill some trays.

russb
07-12-2009, 19:03
I am drying spaghetti with mushroom sauce right now.

medicjimr
07-12-2009, 19:13
Ok tonight on the dehydrator is.
1. 2 tray's corn
2. 1 tray peas
3. 1 tray spinich

Different Socks
07-12-2009, 21:24
Well I haven't used my dehydrator for a few years now, plus it's falling apart. But when I dried last time, I did tomatoes, carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, cherries, apples, coleslaw, pears, and a few others. Got all the produce from a food pantry and since I didn't want it to all go to waste(and utilities were included in rent), I spent days drying all of it. Three years later I still have bags to eat!!

robyn11
07-12-2009, 23:22
I've been using a new book that was recently published - The Dehydrator Bible - lots of recipes to experiment with. Best.

LaurieAnn
07-13-2009, 10:06
I'm not familiar with that one Robyn - will have to check it out and review it for my cooking site. Thanks :)

Allen1901
07-13-2009, 17:02
... when I dried last time, I did , coleslaw,

I've never thought of drying coleslaw. I suppose a vinegar based slaw would be better (storage wise) than a mayonaise/salad dressing based slaw?

Cheers!

LaurieAnn
07-13-2009, 17:37
I dry the veggies for the slaw and take the vinegar based dressing with me. I find that the flavor works out better that way. Al you have to do is shred the cabbage (you don't even need to blanch it) and put it on your dehydrator trays... it's mostly water so it weighs nothing when dried. It will rehydrate very fast with cold water (5 minutes)... then I drain off any excess water and add the dressing.

In the case of the photo below I also dried carrots and apples with the two types of cabbage. Then I added a bit of freeze-dried chicken to the mix and then the vinaigrette which was apple cider based.

http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/triplogs/louisa2006/slaw.jpg

It was pretty yummy.

Allen1901
07-13-2009, 18:05
Thank You LaurieAnn! That looks great!

Cheers!

medicjimr
07-13-2009, 20:14
Ok tonight on the dehydrator is.
1. 2 tray's corn
2. 1 tray peas
3. 1 tray spinach

Well this was my first attempt at above and I should have cooked the frozen peas and corn more before dehydrating took almost an hour for corn to rehydrate in hot water peas 45 minutes and tasted undercooked when re hydrated. so live and learn plus I would rather find out at home before the trail.

Ewker
07-13-2009, 20:17
Well this was my first attempt at above and I should have cooked the frozen peas and corn more before dehydrating took almost an hour for corn to rehydrate in hot water peas 45 minutes and tasted undercooked when re hydrated. so live and learn plus I would rather find out at home before the trail.

I never cook frozen veggies before I dehydrate them. How long did you dehydrate them?

LaurieAnn
07-13-2009, 21:27
Thank You LaurieAnn! That looks great!

Cheers!

If you send me an email I can pull the full recipe from the manuscript.

You don't need to cook the peas and corn. I often freeze the Green Giant mix which is peas, corn, carrots and green beans and everything comes back without issue. They should come back in about 30 minutes with boiling water. There is a trick to that though... cozy them. You can cut that time in half if you use a Nalgene type water bottle... the steam from the boiling water creates some pressure and it speeds up the rehydration quite a bit.

LaurieAnn
07-13-2009, 21:28
lol - I meant to say "I often dry the frozen Green Giant mix"... not that "I often freeze" - oops

sarbar
07-13-2009, 21:41

Frozen veggies are blanched (precooked). It is quite normal for corn and peas to take FOREVER to come back. I use freeze-dried for those and green beans for that reason.

LaurieAnn
07-13-2009, 21:47
Sarbar... hmmm... I'm wondering if your rehydration issues with peas and corn have something to do with altitude or with over-drying. We've never had an issue with them coming back in 30 minutes or less. Same with frozen corn on its own. In most cases rehydration issues arise because of over-drying a vegetable.

sarbar
07-13-2009, 22:22
Veggies need to come back to life in under 15 minutes to pass my acceptance. And those do NOT unless they are diced small (hence, not full size). Most other vegetables and beans work fine in coming back: peas, green beans and corn are the worst offenders.
My testings are often at altitude - where yes, one does need it to rehydrate at a lower temperature and deal with colder temperature in the air.

And frankly, when I hike I want to be able to boil my water in under 5 minutes and eat within another 15 minutes. As an example this past Saturday I ate "dinner" at 9:30 pm-ish - we didn't get to an area to camp till way past 8:30. It was pitch black and I wanted to eat/go to bed once we had our tarps up.

So for my recipes food has to pass the 15 minute test.

Dicentra
07-14-2009, 00:37
Who the heck wants to wait 30 minutes for dinner?! Blech!

I dry peas, but not corn. I buy the freeze dried.

Nothing in the dehydrator until this weekend... Then I'm making up care packages to send of to the PCT and CDT. :)

kythruhiker
07-14-2009, 00:40
Currently drying cucumbers, fresh from the garden. Thin sliced, very good for dips and random munchies. Next on the agenda after a few days of cucumbers - assorted peppers, sweet and hot bananas, jalepenos, bells, and a few habeneros thrown in to remind me that I'm alive and can still feel real pain.

sarbar
07-14-2009, 00:41
It has to pass this test BTW:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/PCT%20Govt%20Meadows-Crystal/coziesinbigcrow2.jpg

If a recipe works in a UL FBC cozy works at above 6K at after 9 pm, the recipe is gold standard :D

medicjimr
07-14-2009, 01:16
well I probably over dried by what I am reading here was on dehydrator for 16 hours wasn't feeling well and went to bed early and woke up late. Well I hope thats why , well at least thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Dicentra
07-14-2009, 01:24
That photo looks awfully familiar... And hmmm... what's in that red topped Nalgene?

I know! I know! Something red... :)

Dicentra
07-14-2009, 09:54
Even my one pan meals have to pass the 15 minute test. Even better if they can be done FBC.

I want my food and I want it NOW.

russb
07-14-2009, 10:08
Sometimes I want food fast; other times I am not that impatient. In general the "longer" food tastes better and/or has a better texture. That's not to say the fast food is bad, just the other is better in general. There is a trade-off. Kind of like lightweight gear. Everyone has different priorities. CYOF (Cook your own food)

LaurieAnn
07-14-2009, 19:27
Currently drying cucumbers, fresh from the garden. Thin sliced, very good for dips and random munchies. Next on the agenda after a few days of cucumbers - assorted peppers, sweet and hot bananas, jalepenos, bells, and a few habeneros thrown in to remind me that I'm alive and can still feel real pain.

Yum - hot peppers. Yes, they'll make you feel alive. :D

A friend of mine is Italian and she grows some wickedly hot peppers in her garden. The seeds came from her mother in Italy. Antonietta chops some and preserves them in olive oil for me. I like to rinse a few off and put them in my pasta sauce... but only a little... they are super hot. I'd love to find out their Scoville rating.

I also have some dried chilies that I bought from www.thespicehouse.com (http://www.thespicehouse.com) that have a Scoville of 25, 000 - yeouch!

LaurieAnn
07-14-2009, 19:35
Sometimes I want food fast; other times I am not that impatient. In general the "longer" food tastes better and/or has a better texture. That's not to say the fast food is bad, just the other is better in general. There is a trade-off. Kind of like lightweight gear. Everyone has different priorities. CYOF (Cook your own food)

I like that CYOF - great way to put it. :D

Because I hike with my husband and often my son as well we split the camp chores. While Bryan and Tobias set up the tent I will boil some water and get the food rehydrating (cozied of course). Then I set up the inside of the tent which only takes a few minutes. If we are in an area where we have to hang the food - then we'll look for an appropriate spot and get the rope hung... that way it saves time later. If we are near water then I will pump water (enough for the evening and next morning). Or I'll take some photos of things around camp. Hang out with my son. Usually by the time we've done all that, dinner is ready to eat.

It's just time management really. I don't sit there for 20 minutes watching my corn expand. :p

For things that may take longer (chicken as an example) - we'll have those meals on a day where we make camp a little earlier. I plan our menus around the proposed length of travel for the day and what we take really depends on the trip. If it's full of days where we hike from dawn until dusk then I'm going to make something that doesn't take as long but if I have the time - then why not? ;)

medicjimr
07-14-2009, 20:31
So Laurie Ann and Sabar can you over dry corns and peas It took forever to rehydrate and tasted raw they were frozen and I gave them a quick blanck in boiling water before they hit dehydrator they got about 18 hrs of dry time total

LaurieAnn
07-14-2009, 20:47
Two things. What kind of dehydrator do you have? The time seems a little long however humidity in the air and such can affect that so 18 hours isn't too off the charts. Now I generally rehydrate my veggies with boiling water and a cozy which usually is enough to cook them through and rehydrate them at the same time. Hmmm... I wonder. Indulge me here... do you still have the package? I want to compare the home cooking instructions with the brand I use to see if the difference might lie in that. This could be a total waste of time but I think I have an idea.

medicjimr
07-14-2009, 22:13
Two things. What kind of dehydrator do you have? The time seems a little long however humidity in the air and such can affect that so 18 hours isn't too off the charts. Now I generally rehydrate my veggies with boiling water and a cozy which usually is enough to cook them through and rehydrate them at the same time. Hmmm... I wonder. Indulge me here... do you still have the package? I want to compare the home cooking instructions with the brand I use to see if the difference might lie in that. This could be a total waste of time but I think I have an idea.

well it's a brand new Nesco I got from campmor the brand of vegies were walmart brand I went to bed and before they were done and by the time I got back to dehydrator 18 hrs passed so that is why dried so long. I put them in pot brought to boil and then covered checked at 15 minute intervals an hour later they sort of plumped up but tasted raw.

Nope I was'nt sleeping 18 hrs lol.

sarbar
07-14-2009, 22:26
I have never had any issues with over drying - some others may, it would depend on the machine used. It also can depend on how thick or wet ones food is - I keep my items small and uniform so they dry fast.

As well....food is one of those things where it really can depend on the brand used. I use the same brands over and over for frozen vegetables - the Safeway organics dry well, as do a couple other organics. But more so....do you like the texture of frozen vegetables in the first place? If not, they won't taste good to you while out hiking. (A good example is frozen cauliflower - it never tastes good to me. So I buy freeze dried for it!)

medicjimr
07-14-2009, 22:40
I have never had any issues with over drying - some others may, it would depend on the machine used. It also can depend on how thick or wet ones food is - I keep my items small and uniform so they dry fast.

As well....food is one of those things where it really can depend on the brand used. I use the same brands over and over for frozen vegetables - the Safeway organics dry well, as do a couple other organics. But more so....do you like the texture of frozen vegetables in the first place? If not, they won't taste good to you while out hiking. (A good example is frozen cauliflower - it never tastes good to me. So I buy freeze dried for it!)

Well first sorry for missing an r in Sarbar oops. I always buy frozen corn and peas or any other vegitable like broc or califlower I personelly don't like freeze dried thats why I got the dehydrator lol. maybe I will try blue bird or hannover what I get around here next to try out. thanks for input all

LaurieAnn
07-14-2009, 23:28
Over-drying can be a huge issue especially with green beans, peas and corn. Not so much of an issue with carrots, peppers, onions, zuchinni and mushrooms though. Grilled corn from the cob - if completely cooked first - dries wonderfully too. But you really have check on it in the last few hours of drying. It should be leathery but not hard as popcorn kernels. When you tear or cut it open there shouldn't be any visible beads of moisture at all.

Another alternative if you are using a brand that tastes raw... cook the veg most of the way before you dry it. It could be that the Walmart brand isn't blanched as long as other brands. I'm going to pick up a bag tomorrow and see if there is a difference between that and the brands I use.

Allen1901
07-15-2009, 09:11
I prefer Green Giant niblet canned corn for drying. It's already cooked in the can.
It drys fast and rehydrates well.

Cheers!

LaurieAnn
07-15-2009, 09:17
I prefer Green Giant niblet canned corn for drying. It's already cooked in the can.
It drys fast and rehydrates well.

Cheers!

Not sure if this is available down there... but Green Giant also has a canned Peaches & Cream variety of corn and it also dries beautifully and comes back well. It's yummy.

I like to take rehydrated veggies, rehydrated cream of chicken soup, rehydrated chicken and my basic biscuit recipe to make a pot-pie sort of deal (and this can be done with or without the use of an oven).

Today I am drying dark cherries.

Allen1901
07-15-2009, 09:39
Not sure if this is available down there... but Green Giant also has a canned Peaches & Cream variety of corn and it also dries beautifully and comes back well. It's yummy.

I like to take rehydrated veggies, rehydrated cream of chicken soup, rehydrated chicken and my basic biscuit recipe to make a pot-pie sort of deal (and this can be done with or without the use of an oven).

Today I am drying dark cherries.

The pot pie sounds great! I'll look for the Peaches & Cream corn too.

Thanks and Cheers!

Farr Away
07-15-2009, 09:47
The WalMart brand frozen corn tastes kind of 'starchy' to me. That may be the raw taste you experienced. You might try Green Giant or Bird's Eye brand instead. I've had good luck with those.

18 hours does sound kind of long to dry frozen corn.

sarbar
07-15-2009, 11:02
The cans of corn that are vac packed (they have very little liquid when opened) dry nicely - and I feel have a better taste and texture than frozen corn. Green Giant and other brands make it - they also make the Mexi-Corn that has peppers in it as well, same vac packing.

LaurieAnn
07-15-2009, 18:59
Greek Lentil Soup.... yum! It almost didn't make it to the dehydrator.

Dicentra
07-26-2009, 11:37
Here we go again...

pasta
vegetarian chili
canned chicken
canned turkey
rice
refried beans - two kinds

LaurieAnn
07-26-2009, 17:58
Today...

Roma Tomato Slices

Feta Cheese (again)

Puttanesca Sauce

Pizza Sauce

I seem to be on a lentil kick too. This afternoon a I made another batch of the Lentil Pâté I made for our trip a few weeks ago and also a Lentil Stew. This was the third time for the stew. I like to test each recipe two to three times to check drying times, consistency and rehydration.

Later this week I'll be drying quinoa, cherries, red and green peppers, Italian sausage, spaghetti sauce, chicken, jasmine rice, small yellow plums, peach slices and eggplant dip. Also hummus and another dip for a workshop I am teaching in Algonquin Park in a week. I'm not drying these all at the same time of course (wouldn't want flavor transfer and they need different temperatures).

sarbar
07-26-2009, 19:52
I suppose I should get cracking but hey, life is short in summer :D Hiking has been more fun than slaving in the old hot kitchen (and whatta heat wave right now!). I have a feeling Mr. FedEx man will be bringing me a couple boxes this week.

clicker
07-26-2009, 21:43
right now, fresh cherries from my buddies organic farm, next up is tomatoes

medicjimr
07-26-2009, 22:31
picked up some cauliflower from farmers market along with corn on the cob for home and while I was there got some zucchini does anyone have any suggestions on how to prepare and dehydrate zucchini I get a lot given to me through summer thought of using it as another addition with instant rice meals. Also I bought some of that foiled packed Tyson chicken does it dehydrate and rehydrate well thought I would cut it down to smaller pieces and use with a rice dish as well. That packet is bulky and the extra weight too. thanks for any in site.

LaurieAnn
07-26-2009, 22:47
Shred the Tyson chicken in the pouch and it will dry well. Rehydrate with boiling water and cozy.

We are having a cold and rainy summer (if you can even call it summer this year). Usually by this time we have very hot temps (shorts weather) but not this year. Hopefully next week the weather will be better. I have a workshop (http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/programs/experiencealgonquinworkshops.html) on the Monday and a book signing/meet the author gig (http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/programs/thisweek6_2009.pdf) on the Tuesday (the proceeds go to the Friends of Algonquin Park). Some of what I am drying is for the workshop and the rest for our next few trips. On the Wednesday we head into the wilds... and I can't wait. Maybe we'll get sunshine this time - if not, at least we will have some yummy meals.

Dicentra
07-27-2009, 01:38
I suppose I should get cracking but hey, life is short in summer :D Hiking has been more fun than slaving in the old hot kitchen (and whatta heat wave right now!). I have a feeling Mr. FedEx man will be bringing me a couple boxes this week.

No doubt!! I ran the dehydrator today (mostly out of necessity) b/c I need food for upcoming trips and all of the stuff I dried over the winter/spring went out on the trail already or is sitting in a supply box somewhere...

Got a bunch of new ideas coming though! I tried a few new things today... two rounds of dehydrating... nevermind that it was 90* out. UG. Next time remind me to put the machine outside when it's this hot!

(I'm a Seattle girl. I can't handle heat.)

LaurieAnn
07-27-2009, 07:05
I wish it was hot (and dry). With all the rain and humidity I have noticed that the dehydrator is taking a little extra time this week. I thought I'd mention it because sometimes people don't realize that it has an effect. Today the temperature forecast is 25°C (77°F). Add in about 85% humidity and it should feel like 31°C (87.8°F) which is below normal for the season. Bryan turned the air conditioning on this morning just to get rid of some of the humidity in the house. Drying foods doesn't help... lol.

I thought about putting the dryer outside as I sometimes do in the fall... but at this time of year bugs can be a problem as can other critters. The squirrels and raccoons can be problematic (especially the squirrels lately - they ate a hole in the side of my composter to get at the melon rinds - grrr).

I got up in the night to take some things off. I often do that as I am up around 3 am every day anyway. Darn body clock is off. I just put the Lentil Stew and Lentil Pâté on as well as the Eggplant Dip. The stew has some pretty strong flavors as does the pâté so I won't be drying anything else with this batch.

This is quite typical for me, running the dehydrator non-stop right before a wilderness trip. I'm also baking some dog biscuits for the camp dog at some point today.

LaurieAnn
07-28-2009, 11:06
Busy week for the dehydrator.... currently I have cherries, peaches, grilled pineapple, and mandarin oranges. A full 12 trays (which is capacity for the Nesco). Then later today I will be drying several different hummus incarnations.

summermike
07-28-2009, 17:37
Do you find the flavors mix much?

How do the mandarin oranges turn out?

LaurieAnn
07-28-2009, 18:14
summermike - I don't seem to have any flavor issues with fruits. Now if I had dried the fruits and the Lentil Stew together there would have been flavor transfer from the Indian inspired spicing. The fruit is off, trays washed and after dinner I'll be putting the different hummus on. Hummus would have transferred flavor to the fruit as well so that's why I am doing it on its own.

The mandarin oranges turn out somewhat leathery and candy-like... probably the reason why my 8 year old adores them. I like to use them in trail salads and such and sometimes I will rehydrate them.

LaurieAnn
07-29-2009, 11:48
Today I am drying lots of no-cook, lightweight lunches. Most of which are some sort of dip, tapenade or spread. I also have some cooked Italian sausage on the dryer (this is rinsed and drained several times to remove the fat and then reseasoned). We leave on our trip in a few days (can't wait).

LaurieAnn
07-31-2009, 07:45
We leave Sunday and today is my final day of dehydrating foods. I'm drying pizza toppings.... olives, roasted red peppers, green peppers, tomato slices, feta cheese, mushrooms (only because I had some in the fridge that would have gone bad while we were away) and a few other things. Then all I have to do tomorrow is pack the backpacks and relax.

russb
07-31-2009, 08:37
LaurieAnn, where are you headed to? Have fun.

Homer&Marje
07-31-2009, 09:22
I have 6 lbs of sliced shoulder steak on the smoker right now....Making Jerky with a honey teriyaki marinade:D Teaching the little brother in law how to make it....a 14 year old's favorite food is beef jerky...for sure

LaurieAnn
07-31-2009, 11:02
LaurieAnn, where are you headed to? Have fun.

Just Algonquin Provincial Park. I am teaching a full-day cooking workshop (http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/programs/experiencealgonquinworkshops.html) there on Monday (it's a 3 day weekend up here). The workshop is to benefit the Friends of Algonquin Park. Much of what I am dehydrating is for the course. Then on Tuesday I have a book signing at their Visitor Centre Bookstore. On Wednesday we will head into the "wilds" via canoe. It's a bit more like a hiking trip with close to 10 km portaging (once you count doubling back for the canoe) per day. We also have layover time in there too. We'll be in the Park's interior for 5 days. A little too short for my liking but I figure that we have already driven the 5 hours to get up there - so why not.

I have 6 lbs of sliced shoulder steak on the smoker right now....Making Jerky with a honey teriyaki marinade:D Teaching the little brother in law how to make it....a 14 year old's favorite food is beef jerky...for sure

That is one thing I would really love to have - a smoker. I've used the BBQ to smoke things before but it's not quite as nice that way. Sounds delicious.

russb
07-31-2009, 11:05
Just Algonquin Provincial Park. I am teaching a full-day cooking workshop (http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/programs/experiencealgonquinworkshops.html) there on Monday (it's a 3 day weekend up here). The workshop is to benefit the Friends of Algonquin Park. Much of what I am dehydrating is for the course. Then on Tuesday I have a book signing at their Visitor Centre Bookstore. On Wednesday we will head into the "wilds" via canoe. It's a bit more like a hiking trip with close to 10 km portaging (once you count doubling back for the canoe) per day. We also have layover time in there too. We'll be in the Park's interior for 5 days. A little too short for my liking but I figure that we have already driven the 5 hours to get up there - so why not.

Ooooh. Have fun. Last time I was in Algonquin was the mid 1980's, up in the northwest corner. Spent 2 weeks there. Great time.

Homer&Marje
07-31-2009, 11:12
That is one thing I would really love to have - a smoker. I've used the BBQ to smoke things before but it's not quite as nice that way. Sounds delicious.

Mine was free so it was a worthy investment:D It's a simple 2 tray charcoal water smoker, cast aluminum body.

I smoked the family Thanksgiving turkey this year and it was fantastic...I used 100 % hickory for that...i've mixed into using a blend of hickory and cedar. I do Ribs of all sort, baby back, beef short, St Louis style...did a chicken the other day and making pulled bbq chicken sandwiches with it.

This jerky is the first attempt on the smoker but it's going very well....I smell like beef and smoke...pretty normal for me:rolleyes: It's for my trip in the Berks next week so it better be good

LaurieAnn
07-31-2009, 11:14
Ooooh. Have fun. Last time I was in Algonquin was the mid 1980's, up in the northwest corner. Spent 2 weeks there. Great time.

The northwest corner is much quieter than the area we are going to. That's why I picked such a portagey trip. Because we will be on the only highway going through the park, Highway 60, I choose lakes that would be more difficult to get to. I find once you get past the 1st kilometre of portages all the tourists seem to disappear and you tend to only run into more serious outdoors people if anyone at all.

I'm not sure if they had all the multi-day backpacking trails in where you up in the 1980's. They are very beautiful. My favorite is called the Western Uplands Trail and it is absolutely stunning in the Fall.

LaurieAnn
07-31-2009, 11:15
Mine was free so it was a worthy investment:D It's a simple 2 tray charcoal water smoker, cast aluminum body.

I smoked the family Thanksgiving turkey this year and it was fantastic...I used 100 % hickory for that...i've mixed into using a blend of hickory and cedar. I do Ribs of all sort, baby back, beef short, St Louis style...did a chicken the other day and making pulled bbq chicken sandwiches with it.

This jerky is the first attempt on the smoker but it's going very well....I smell like beef and smoke...pretty normal for me:rolleyes: It's for my trip in the Berks next week so it better be good

When I get back - remind me and I'll send you my information on making Applewood Smoked Cheddar. Yum - my mouth waters just thinking of it.

Homer&Marje
07-31-2009, 11:23
When I get back - remind me and I'll send you my information on making Applewood Smoked Cheddar. Yum - my mouth waters just thinking of it.

That sounds like a perfect late summer project..thanks. Going to do smoked bluefish soon and experiment with some salmon and possibly salmon jerky

LaurieAnn
07-31-2009, 11:40
Salmon jerky is wonderful. I have to make it when Bryan is away on business because he eats it all before I get a chance to even package it up for our trips.

russb
07-31-2009, 12:09
The northwest corner is much quieter than the area we are going to. That's why I picked such a portagey trip. Because we will be on the only highway going through the park, Highway 60, I choose lakes that would be more difficult to get to. I find once you get past the 1st kilometre of portages all the tourists seem to disappear and you tend to only run into more serious outdoors people if anyone at all.

Similar concept in the adirondacks. Most people flock to the high peaks region and/or to the areas close to the main roads. Just a few miles on dirt road driving and a few extra miles of hiking can bring one to some pristine places either rarely visited, or those that do practice LNT very well.

I'm not sure if they had all the multi-day backpacking trails in where you up in the 1980's. They are very beautiful. My favorite is called the Western Uplands Trail and it is absolutely stunning in the Fall.

I do not recall any trails except for the portages.

LaurieAnn
07-31-2009, 15:53
Well if you are ever up this way you should check out the trails. They are pretty great (although I am biased). It's nice to see the parks thinking about us backpackers too. Here is the info...

The Western Uplands Backpacking Trail can be accessed from either the Highway 60 corridor at km 3 (i.e., 3 km east of the West Gate), or from the Rain Lake Access Point approximately 35 km east from Highway 11 at the village of Emsdale. The Western Uplands has several loops ranging from 32 km to 88 km in length.

The Highland Backpacking Trail is accessed from the Highway 60 corridor at km 29.7 (i.e., 29.7 km east of the West Gate) and has 19 and 35 km loops.

The Eastern Pines Trail , Algonquin's newest backpacking trail begins at the Achray Campground (http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/campcan/moreinfo/achray.html) on the Park's east side, and has 6 and 15 km loops. Complete backpacking trail information and detailed topographic trail maps for all three of the backpacking trails in Algonquin are available in our map-brochure Backpacking Trails of Algonquin Provincial Park (http://store.algonquinpark.on.ca/cgi/algonquinpark/00023.html) .

summermike
07-31-2009, 18:02
I just dehydrated some Quorn Chik'n Tenders for the first time. I dried about two dozen pieces 1/2" - 1" (that's the way they come) at 155F/68C for seven hours. At the end of the seven hours some of the larger ones had slightly moist centers but only very slightly (a fingernail could poke into it a little).

I froze them - that's the way I store my dehydrated food until I need it for a hike so I try to include that in the process - then removed them from the freezer, rehydrated them overnight and fried them in a little EVOO.

They came out a little different from their store-bought texture, a little tougher but not bad, the taste is the same. They'd go well in ramen and other noodle or rice dishes. They're a good source of protein (10g per cup) and fiber (4g). Vegetarian but not vegan. Marinading would give them more flavor although I eat Quorn regularly so I'm used to its neutral/bland taste.

I give them a B-.

LaurieAnn
08-01-2009, 07:41
My neighbor's son was just telling me that those would be great added to the lentil stew. I had made way too much of it and gave him some. I'll have to let him know that it worked out for you. Thanks for sharing that.

Well... my dehydrator is officially shut off and we leave at 5 am tomorrow. Can't wait until Wednesday though - that's when we actually leave on the interior trip.

LaurieAnn
08-10-2009, 11:29
I'm back... so what do you all have on the dehydrator this week? I don't have anything going yet... I'm just relaxing today and then it will be back to recipe/dehydration testing tomorrow.

unclemjm
08-10-2009, 11:38
I'm back... so what do you all have on the dehydrator this week? I don't have anything going yet... I'm just relaxing today and then it will be back to recipe/dehydration testing tomorrow.

I'm also back and open to some recipe testing so if you need any additonal opinions, give me a shout. :)

Dicentra
08-10-2009, 16:41
Ran mine 4 days last week... 2 kinds of refried beans, cantaloupe, cabbage, carrots, artichoke hearts... Forget what else now.

More to come!

LaurieAnn
08-10-2009, 16:49
I'm also back and open to some recipe testing so if you need any additonal opinions, give me a shout. :)

I'm pretty good with recipes being tested at the moment... however if you like olives the Olive Tapenade in the food photos thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53010) (post #9) is a good one. We've been using it for quite a while now.

Dicentra
08-13-2009, 13:35
Got a phone call late last night... "bring the dehydrator to work!!"

OKAY!!

My MIL is friends with someone who owns a farm stand... Today I have 5 trays of canteloupes and 3 pineapple.

Cherries will go in either later today or tomorrow morning. Woot!

LaurieAnn
08-13-2009, 20:39
Today... pineapple... in all different configurations... two trays of crushed, two trays of grilled and two trays of my tropical salsa which also contains pineapple. Smells fruit and spicy in here.

woodsy
08-14-2009, 06:05
Zucchini slices.
Bumper crop from the garden.
Who needs potato chips when you can have Zucchini chips, great w/dip.

LaurieAnn
08-14-2009, 07:05
Yum! I love those Woodsy.

unclemjm
08-14-2009, 08:47
I've had good success with pineapple and strawberries - blueberries not so much. Any tips for berries and cherries?

unclemjm
08-14-2009, 08:48
Zucchini slices.
Bumper crop from the garden.
Who needs potato chips when you can have Zucchini chips, great w/dip.

Do you go with a quick par boil on Zucchini or simply slice and dry?

woodsy
08-14-2009, 08:53
Do you go with a quick par boil on Zucchini or simply slice and dry?
Slice about 1/8" and dry.
Took about 5 hrs in the Nesco dehydrator

LaurieAnn
08-14-2009, 09:23
unclemjm - you have to do something called crazing to the blueberries. You pour boiling or near boiling water over them (in a strainer with a bowl underneath). Then after 1 minute you plunge the strainer into a bowl of ice water. This will pop the skins and make it so they don't case when you dry them.

cherries I merely cut in half and pit - then place them skin side down on the dehydrator (that way they don't stick to the mesh)

LaurieAnn
08-16-2009, 13:28
today... spiced pears and two really unusual types of coleslaw. Not only do I have another trip coming up in two weeks roughly but my manuscript is due a few days after we return from the trip... crunch time!

summermike
08-16-2009, 14:00
What do you put in your coleslaw? I wouldn't think ingredients like mayonnaise and vegetable oil would dehydrate well.

emerald
08-16-2009, 14:08
Maybe her recipes include secret ingredients, the kind camp chefs don't share with just anyone.;)

LaurieAnn
08-16-2009, 16:55
Summermike... it depends on the recipe. Generally what I do is dry the veg end of things and then take along the dressing. I stick to vinaigrette based dressings. Give me five minutes and I will pull one of the coleslaw recipes from my last book and post it here.

LaurieAnn
08-16-2009, 16:59
Chicken and Apple Slaw

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=880224#post880224

LaurieAnn
08-16-2009, 17:09
Maybe her recipes include secret ingredients, the kind camp chefs don't share with just anyone.;)

too funny... I don't mind sharing. that said though, most new recipes I keep under wraps publicly and until a book comes out and I merely give sneak peeks (like the Olive Tapenade)... a gal has to make a living too ;) but when it comes down to it I'm always game to chat about food and share ideas :D

I've been playing with slaw ingredients like pear and wolf berries and such - not what you'd normally find in a slaw

summermike
08-16-2009, 18:09
How do you carry the apple cider vinegar while on a long distance hike?

LaurieAnn
08-16-2009, 18:14
I don't - I only do this on section hikes.

wannahike
08-16-2009, 18:18
I lay the blueberries out in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze, then right into the dehydrator. I get nice chewy blueberries this way.

wannahike

tiptoe
08-16-2009, 21:26
Right now, I'm dehydrating a big batch of chicken with peanut sauce. Sauce is canned tomatoes (thanks, late blight!), tomato paste, onions, basil, hot pepper, and chunky peanut butter. Chicken is boneless breast, sliced thin (as for jerky), browned and then stirred into sauce. Into this simmering mess went a big batch of cooked rice. Health food store was out of long-grain brown, so I bought something called sweet brown rice, which I've never tried. Anyway, it smells good, and we'll see how it comes out. It's for a hike in the Whites at the end of the month.

LaurieAnn
08-16-2009, 21:53
I've never heard of sweet brown rice. Let me know how it turns out.

Now I have several batches of legumes drying because I like to make my own flour from things like lentils.

tiptoe
08-17-2009, 10:11
Yes, will do. It's still drying this morning; I think it's taking a long time because of the oil in the peanut butter. The health store folks say the rice isn't really "sweet". I tasted it after I cooked it; it has a nutty flavor.

LaurieAnn
08-17-2009, 11:57
Thanks tiptoe.

Peanut butter does take a bit to dry as do most things with a higher fat content.

I'm finding the humidity here today is increasing drying times even though I broke down and put on the AC (I hate using AC - environmental impact and such). Relative humidity is 79%. It's a hot and sticky one. I was going to roast eggplants and such but I think I'll grill them instead.

tiptoe
08-18-2009, 16:33
Well, I finally turned off the dehydrator yesterday afternoon. Temps were in the 90s here in Connecticut, and the kitchen didn't really need more heat. No AC here; I'm old school about that. I googled "sweet brown rice". Turns out it's used mostly for sushi and other Asian dishes, but I think it'll be fine with the tomato-peanut sauce.

LaurieAnn
08-19-2009, 11:00
Onto another round... today is salsa day... five different kinds and one eggplant infused pasta sauce and a batch of roasted tomatoes... I love roasted tomatoes.

LaurieAnn
08-21-2009, 17:24
Last night was tornado central in Ontario (three confirmed touchdowns and one fatality) so I am drying some leftover chili and some other things to put in the pantry for emergencies. Beats it sitting in the fridge going bad.

Wise Old Owl
08-21-2009, 20:29
How do you carry the apple cider vinegar while on a long distance hike?

micro bottle or packets'

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Vinegar.jpg

Dicentra
08-22-2009, 02:32
micro bottle or packets'

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Vinegar.jpg

I think minimus.biz carries those. I've also seen them at the food court in Cabella's.

Rocket Jones
08-22-2009, 10:44
Thanks for all the ideas!

We had leftover meatloaf from last night, so this morning I diced some up and put it on the dehydrator along with some frozen peas, frozen mixed veggies and chopped red, orange and yellow peppers.

I figure I can try a "blue plate special" - freezer bag style - by mixing the meatloaf, veggies and instant mashed potatoes together.

Dicentra
08-22-2009, 10:47
Thanks for all the ideas!

We had leftover meatloaf from last night, so this morning I diced some up and put it on the dehydrator along with some frozen peas, frozen mixed veggies and chopped red, orange and yellow peppers.

I figure I can try a "blue plate special" - freezer bag style - by mixing the meatloaf, veggies and instant mashed potatoes together.

You could also turn that into a sort of trail shephard's pie... Rehydrate the meat and veggies in one bag and do mashed potatoes in a second bag. Yum!

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 12:45
No the packets are readily available at fast food places that offer fish. or steak fries.

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 12:47
I've never heard of sweet brown rice. Let me know how it turns out.

Now I have several batches of legumes drying because I like to make my own flour from things like lentils.

I keep a small quantity of wild american indian rice from Trader Joes to add to regular rice, a couple of pinches adds a nice crunch to any rice meal.

Wilson
08-22-2009, 15:07
Roma matters, just picked right out of the backyard.

lucky luke
08-23-2009, 05:24
hi,

its watermelon season in germany! dirt-cheap and sweeter than sweet. just takes for ever to dry down a ball scooped out with a table spoon.

i´ve tried mixtures. so far apple, honey melon and banana. water melon, banana and blueberry. irresistable those rolled up fruit-leathers.

happy cooking
lucky luke

summermike
08-23-2009, 18:24
How do yo keep sharp bits from poking through the Zip-lock baggy or freezer bag? I have that problem with the corners and edges of dehydrated cubes like sweet potatoes and tofu.

Dicentra
08-23-2009, 20:32
How do yo keep sharp bits from poking through the Zip-lock baggy or freezer bag? I have that problem with the corners and edges of dehydrated cubes like sweet potatoes and tofu.

Use a sheet of paper towel between the food and the bag.

JoshStover
08-23-2009, 23:26
Thanks, and just so you know, Donating Members are allowed to edit.
What do you have to donate to to be a donating member. I donate alot to the ATC. Does that work?

Dogwood
08-24-2009, 16:42
I want to know if anyone, particularly Dicentra or Laurie Ann, has ever dehydrated Tasty Bites Indian foods like the Eggplant or Spinach Dal?

Farr Away
08-24-2009, 17:30

Another option is to pack the food in sandwich baggies, then bring along a freezer bag to rehydrate in. Or you could use a lemonade jar for rehydration if you don't want to use a lot of baggies.

Dicentra
08-24-2009, 17:46
I want to know if anyone, particularly Dicentra or Laurie Ann, has ever dehydrated Tasty Bites Indian foods like the Eggplant or Spinach Dal?

I've had the lentil one from Tasty Bites - not bad mixed with some instant brown rice and wrapped in a Chapati. A little heavy, but super easy!

Another thing you might try is Golden Curry (I think that is the brand name). Heat and eat.

summermike
08-24-2009, 18:26
Have you tried Tasty Bites? Sometimes prepackaged Indian foods have lots and lots of powdered cayenne or other pepper and little, if any, other flavor.

sarbar
08-24-2009, 21:00
Have you tried Tasty Bites? Sometimes prepackaged Indian foods have lots and lots of powdered cayenne or other pepper and little, if any, other flavor.
I like them and yes, they do dry well. But....the taste can be a bit earthy for some. Best to try at home first! I also like Trader Joe's versions as well.

Dicentra
08-24-2009, 23:42
I like them and yes, they do dry well. But....the taste can be a bit earthy for some. Best to try at home first! I also like Trader Joe's versions as well.

The TJ's by me (one of them anyway) carries both!

LaurieAnn
08-25-2009, 07:08

Sorry for the delay in responding - we had a car accident on Sunday and I've been dealing with insurance companies and looking for a decent SUV with good fuel economy (I know - oxymoron).

I haven't used Tasty Bites and to be honest I've never seen them here. That said I dehydrated dishes with eggplant all the time and Dal dehydrates and rehydrates beautifully. Just open a window because Indian foods are quite pungent during the drying process.

toegem
08-26-2009, 08:22
Finish black beans and rice, 2 batches of hummus, chili, ground beef, corn, salsa, cherries, and mangos yesterday. Today is tuna fish, my dog loves the smell, my GF does not so I had to wait till she left for work :).

bigcranky
08-26-2009, 13:15
Figs!

My fig tree is producing heavily this year. Almost 3 kilos so far. Every day I get home from work and add another tray of figs to the dryer. (And take off yesterday's -- they only take 24 hours to dry.)

Mmmmmmmm.

Wise Old Owl
08-27-2009, 19:04

Same problem exists for instant rice, there is no point in dehydrating it but after vacuum sealing it, still makes micro holes and the vacuum is lost after a month.

Wise Old Owl
08-27-2009, 19:08
Another option is to pack the food in sandwich baggies, then bring along a freezer bag to rehydrate in. Or you could use a lemonade jar for rehydration if you don't want to use a lot of baggies.

Or a gatorade bottle that already is in your pack, great length for broken speggetti or angel hair to soften up while hiking, then cook. Yep it sticks a little, be prepared ...

Hey I got to go back to the test bench on that one...

Wise Old Owl
08-27-2009, 19:14
obviously I just did a monster batch of beans in the dryer and it was taking too long. I discovered when you double the batch you need to add additional empty trays between the "occupied" trays to allow more air to circulate in some machines. Otherwise the water will acumulate on the bottom of each tray like a rain cloud.

There's your 2cent tip for the day.

sheepdog
08-27-2009, 19:17
How do you figure a shelf life for the stuff you dry??

LaurieAnn
08-27-2009, 19:29
I judge shelf-life by several criteria which include spoilage and/or rancidity as well as loss of flavor.

Most meat items that are low in fat will last for 8 months in the freezer and about 5 to 8 weeks out of the freezer. Veggies last much longer except for sweet potatoes which only have a shelf life of about 3 months before there is significant flavor loss.

sheepdog
08-27-2009, 19:30
what about the probability of it getting you really sick or killing you?

Wise Old Owl
08-27-2009, 19:37
How do you figure a shelf life for the stuff you dry??

Thats easy I open it two months later and if i dont get sick I can claim 1 month with certainty........:eek:

Naw I am just joking Sheepdog but you worry too much.... sort of like this guy...

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/crockdundee.jpg Awe you can eat it mate, but it tastes like S*it!

sheepdog
08-27-2009, 19:39
Thats easy I open it two months later and if i dont get sick I can claim 1 month with certainty........:eek:
gonna have to change your name to guinea pig

LaurieAnn
08-29-2009, 08:49
what about the probability of it getting you really sick or killing you?

I'm in my 40's and have been drying foods since I was 12. I did mention spoilage and rancidity. It's very easy to tell if something is spoiled or rancid. First indicator is visual. If there is any moisture in the foods you'll see mold and the food will expand slightly. The second indication is smell... your nose won't steer you wrong. Taste will also indicate if something is off.

It is rare that these things happen if proper precautions are taking with drying foods. Bacteria need the moist environment to thrive and that's why dehydrating foods is a wonderful method of preservation. Kitchen and utensil hygiene at home and on the trail are crucial. In other words - wash your hands (both at home and on the trail)... disinfect counters, cutting boards and all the common sense things at home. Cook meats like chicken and fish well before drying. Always wash your food dehydrator well. And at camp - even if you FBC - be sure to disinfect your spoon. The mouth is a very dirty place and just wiping your spoon isn't good enough. Same with your personal water bottle.

The biggest cause of illness on the trail is from poor hand washing/hygiene - not food.

sarbar
08-29-2009, 08:54
No t hard at all, you pour boiling water over your spoon to sterilize. You don't need soap or anything. I often do this as the water comes to a boil, I pour a bit off over my spoon, then make my meal.

Our hands are our worst enemy overall though for making us sick, more so our friends hands are even worse at that ;)

Wise Old Owl
08-30-2009, 00:02
Finally - Sabar, Laurie Ann When drying apples I never seem to get "chip" like quality. I do the lemon & water dip to prevent browning and they always turn out a little rubbery.

How do the proffessional bags of apple chips get them so crisp?

LaurieAnn
08-30-2009, 08:32
They are probably fried or sliced much thinner. I've been able to make pear and apple chips but the slices have to be so thin that they crisp but not so thin that they crumble too much. The drying time is much longer too and I crank the temp (usually 160°F)

Frau
08-30-2009, 09:01
I get chips from Honey Crisp Apples. Their texture is perfect for dehydration. I do make fairly thin slices. They taste like sugar wafers, and I prefer them dehydrated to fresh. They won't be ready for another week or two (in western VA).

Right now I am on my second bushel of O'Henry peaches. I like them almost as much dehydrated as I do fresh. They are only available for a few weeks here, so I dry as fast as I can. Last year we had them all eaten by Christmas.

Following the Honey Crisp, I start on my figs.

Last year I had great luck with Bartlett pears, but this year the deer ate them all before they even ripened.

Anyone have advice with Asian pears? My tree is full. When I dehydrate them, the taste is good, but they are dense and tough. I would appreciate ALL advice.

Frau

Frau
08-30-2009, 09:12
Big Cranky--What variety of fig do you have? Mine don't ripen until the end of Sept./beg. Oct. I know our season is behind yours, but harvesting earlier would be better for me because I go back to work right around Labor Day. What I have is Chicago Hardy.

Thanks,

Frau

emeggke
08-30-2009, 12:46
I am just starting to use a dehydrator and right now I have two trays of leftover spaghetti on it. Looking forward to putting apples on it soon.

LaurieAnn
08-30-2009, 14:15
I like to grate Asian pears and dry them for use in coleslaws.

Frau
08-31-2009, 13:22
There is an Asian pear orchard nearby and I ought to ask them about the texture of their dehydrated pears. The owner told me they have a handful of customers who ask for them that way. I would really like to be happier with mine than I am.

What kind of dressing do you make for your coleslaw? I am trying to envision pears in mine. I think I might like it better with some sort of vinegar/sugar dressing and pears. Hmmm...I think this will call for experimentation.

Frau

Dicentra
08-31-2009, 13:31
Finally - Sabar, Laurie Ann When drying apples I never seem to get "chip" like quality. I do the lemon & water dip to prevent browning and they always turn out a little rubbery.

How do the proffessional bags of apple chips get them so crisp?

Here's my dehydrator page on apples (http://www.onepanwonders.com/apples.htm). It has a photo how-to on apple chips. Which reminds me... I should do some chips soon. My daughter LOVES them.

LaurieAnn
08-31-2009, 14:40
There is an Asian pear orchard nearby and I ought to ask them about the texture of their dehydrated pears. The owner told me they have a handful of customers who ask for them that way. I would really like to be happier with mine than I am.

What kind of dressing do you make for your coleslaw? I am trying to envision pears in mine. I think I might like it better with some sort of vinegar/sugar dressing and pears. Hmmm...I think this will call for experimentation.

Frau

Frau,

It is usually some sort of vinaigrette... oil, vinegar, spices, and herbs. It usually ends up different every time and it also differs depending on what is in the salad itself.

This is one from my book... but it used apples...

Chicken and Apple Slaw (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53162)

Dicentra
09-02-2009, 12:31
Today in the dehydrator...

3 trays vegetarian chili (2 kinds - from cans)
2 trays canned diced tomatoes
1 tray white beans
2 trays artichoke hearts

LaurieAnn
09-02-2009, 20:49
In about 5 minutes... nothing! Off on a wilderness trip. See you all next week!

Dicentra
09-04-2009, 10:33
Today will be pineapple and watermelon. MIL strikes again! :)

Fiddleback
09-04-2009, 10:39
Not in a dehydrator but rather on a jelly roll pan in the oven...fresh picked huckleberries.:sun

FB

unclemjm
09-04-2009, 11:04
Pinto Beans, Potato Casserole, Sliced Jalapenos ...

BBQ last night so seeing how the leftovers dry.

twlhome
09-04-2009, 11:48
I been reading some of the posts and articles online about dehyrators. Can you really put in a cooked meal and dehydrate it and just add water later with out worrying about spoilage? I make a mean jambalaya and cheesy potatoes and would love to make them and take them on the trail with me. My friend got a dehydrator that she doesn't use and said I could use it for food for my hike, but I am afraid of it. So I can put sauces and salsa into a dehydrator?

Wise Old Owl
09-04-2009, 15:15
I been reading some of the posts and articles online about dehyrators. Can you really put in a cooked meal and dehydrate it and just add water later with out worrying about spoilage? I make a mean jambalaya and cheesy potatoes and would love to make them and take them on the trail with me. My friend got a dehydrator that she doesn't use and said I could use it for food for my hike, but I am afraid of it. So I can put sauces and salsa into a dehydrator?

OK thats a mouthful, Yes yes yes .....yes...yes.

but there are tricks to it, salsa, sauces needs be made like a fruit leather. wax paper on the trays. Meals such as ravioli require mini raviolis, broccoli requires very small pieces. And some things like potato are best bought at the store as flake. People have been drying things for thousands of years without a machine. The machine just takes out some of the wait & bother.

twlhome
09-04-2009, 16:06
Thanks Wise Old Owl,

I will get it from my friend, cross my fingers and hope I don't burn Pittsburgh in the process. But if you hear about Pittsburgh turning into a desert over the weekend then you will know I messed up bad.

sarbar
09-04-2009, 19:28
And another is avoid drying foods high in fat as well keep everything around the same size for even drying :) Otherwise have fun. And if worried, store your dried meals tightly sealed in the freezer after drying till trail time.

Tuckahoe
09-04-2009, 19:41
Thanks Wise Old Owl,

I will get it from my friend, cross my fingers and hope I don't burn Pittsburgh in the process. But if you hear about Pittsburgh turning into a desert over the weekend then you will know I messed up bad.

twlhome, dont worry, its pretty dang easy to dehydrate food and actually pretty hard to screw up. Try a few simple things first to get the hang of it.

HeartFire
09-04-2009, 19:52
I like to take home extras from my favorite restaurants and put that in the dehydrator for back packs. Nothing better than having yummy Indian food on the trail!

Dicentra
09-05-2009, 15:02
Today is clean out the fridge day... In the dehydrator now:

3 trays bell peppers
2 trays shredded purple cabbage
1 tray shredded carrots

Rowdy Yates
09-07-2009, 12:33
Just put one tray of fresh green beans on to dehtdrate. Plan to use in soups and other dishes.

LaurieAnn
09-07-2009, 22:55

You certainly can! Some recommended reading from my friend Christine...

Dehydrophobia (http://www.wildernesscooking.com/dehydrophobia.htm) (and for those of you comfortable with dehydration - it's a good trip down memory lane)

This article will help you through your first attempt. We all start out with a bit of fear and the same kind of apprehension you are experiencing... totally normal.

Just Lisa
09-09-2009, 09:32
What's in my dehydrator this past week:

Red Beets/Applesauce Leather (great with cream cheese)

Plain Yogurt flavored with Pomegranite Juice Leather

Lentils (cooked and then "marinated" overnight in ginger and maple syrup, then dried)

Candied Ginger

Right now, drying some cooked chicken pieces.

Getting ready for a trip to the Smokies and even bigger, an AT thru hike in March...so I'm usually running something every couple days.

Lisa

LaurieAnn
09-09-2009, 12:20
I'm merely drying herbs this week... then I'll be making pumpkin leather and such.

Just Lisa
09-10-2009, 15:41
Pumpkin leather...sounds fantastic...do you make it the pumpkin part? Do you mix it with applesauce or just add pectin?

LaurieAnn
09-10-2009, 22:37
Pumpkin Pie Leather from A Fork in the Trail

Dehydration Time: 6–15 hours

Makes 4 servings

Portable pumpkin pie! Okay it isn’t quite the same, but it still tastes really great.

1 cup cooked pumpkin, canned or stewed
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger

At Home

Mix the pumpkin and spices together. Spread the mixture about 1/4 inch thick on lined dehydrator trays. Let it dry for 6 to 15 hours, until it is pliable like leather. Cut it into pieces, wrap in plastic wrap and store in the fridge until your trip. This will keep for up to 6 months refrigerated and for 6 to 8 weeks without refrigeration.

Wise Old Owl
09-10-2009, 23:12
oh another tip from a dehydrating misshap - jerky sauces from scratch are a must. One store bought idea had corn syrup in in it and turned to a sticky goo mess.

avoid stickee!

LaurieAnn
09-11-2009, 09:25
Making your own is much better anyway. Not just from a sticky perspective but from one of taste and control over ingredients and the level of spice.

Today I am drying a tofu dessert I've concocted. I'm not sure how it will turn out on the rehydration end so I'm drying three batches to test under different conditions.

Dicentra
09-15-2009, 13:12
Busy today!

4 trays of shredded zucchini (from the neighbor's garden!)
3 trays diced pears (I had a whole tree of pears to harvest... I'm in overload!)

1 tray ginger pear butter - See above.
I blogged about how to make the butter here: Touch of Nectar (http://touchofnectar.wordpress.com/2009/09/15/pear-overload-part-3/). This is an experiment... I'm hoping it turns out like a really tasty fruit roll.

After making this, bread, soup, waffles, drying dices and just plain freezing some, I'm running out of pear ideas. And I still have some left!

Farr Away
09-15-2009, 14:08
Busy today!

4 trays of shredded zucchini (from the neighbor's garden!)
3 trays diced pears (I had a whole tree of pears to harvest... I'm in overload!)

I blogged about how to make the butter here: Touch of Nectar (http://touchofnectar.wordpress.com/2009/09/15/pear-overload-part-3/). This is an experiment... I'm hoping it turns out like a really tasty fruit roll.

After making this, bread, soup, waffles, drying dices and just plain freezing some, I'm running out of pear ideas. And I still have some left!

Have you tried pear sauce? Just like applesauce, except you use pears. Kids love it. I've also done the same thing with peaches.

JennyXoXo
09-16-2009, 10:45
I like to take home extras from my favorite restaurants and put that in the dehydrator for back packs. Nothing better than having yummy Indian food on the trail!

Nice! I think I'm going to try this with caviar (http://www.caviargalore.com), I hope it works. My family loves eating on the trails =)

Dicentra
09-17-2009, 00:56
I'm not sure dehydrating caviar is a good idea... let us know the results?

Today in the dehydrator I had:

Blackeyed peas
refried beans
artichoke hearts

Rowdy Yates
09-17-2009, 06:57
Yesterday I dehydrated and put up:

1 tray of Pinto Beans
1 tray of Refried Beans w/Liguid Smoke, Onions, Red Pepper & BBQ
1 tray of Black Beans

LaurieAnn
09-17-2009, 08:08
Today - several fruit sauces and some soup. Tuesday night I made a fall vegetable soup that was totally yummy and decided to dry the leftovers. It's a good way to do it because soup always tastes better the second or third day because the flavors have had a chance to mingle and hang out.

As soon as that comes off I'll be harvesting and drying more sage, purple sage, pineapple sage, thyme, lemon thyme, Thai basil and Italian Basil. Then the next batch of herbs will be peppermint and chocolate mint. The chocolate mint is amazing... simply amazing.

Hikes in Rain
09-17-2009, 12:10
Busy today!

Pear wine or brandy?? Or perhaps a Perry (pear cider)? :sun

Dicentra
09-17-2009, 12:28
Pear wine or brandy?? Or perhaps a Perry (pear cider)? :sun

I did find a recipe for pear vodka (and everyone knows I love my vodka) so I think I am going to try that. Blackberry too. :rolleyes:

Dicentra
09-17-2009, 12:29

Experiment update: This did not work. Too sticky. I think there is too much sugar in the pear butter for it to dry properly. Oh well. It was worth a shot. :-?

LaurieAnn
09-19-2009, 09:58
Tofu... tofu and more tofu. Did I say tofu? lol - today I am trying several tofu based dishes and a silken tofu/fruit dessert that I picked up at the local market.

Wise Old Owl
09-19-2009, 11:12
Tofu... tofu and more tofu. Did I say tofu? lol - today I am trying several tofu based dishes and a silken tofu/fruit dessert that I picked up at the local market.

I don't get it, Tofu is great for protein & energy, but positively tasteless. So send over your favorite recipe so I can try it, I don't mind giving it another shot.

Also I am lousy when sticking to six to ten hours- the last batch went way over so I am going to grab a AC light timer.

peanuts
09-19-2009, 11:47
WOO, yes tofu is tasteless, until you add your flavoring.....try your own the one you printed earlier. i bet you would love it then......

Wise Old Owl
09-19-2009, 12:42
You mean the Jerky Sauce.... uhh I don't know.

peanuts
09-19-2009, 13:45
yes the jerky sauce, then you have tofu jerky....

LaurieAnn
09-19-2009, 14:17
I don't get it, Tofu is great for protein & energy, but positively tasteless. So send over your favorite recipe so I can try it, I don't mind giving it another shot.

Also I am lousy when sticking to six to ten hours- the last batch went way over so I am going to grab a AC light timer.

If these rehydrate okay and survive this second round of testing then I'll post them. I'm pretty picky about things. I'm doing some breakfast meals and the tofu isn't the only ingredient - good thing because you are right... it's pretty tasteless albeit a great carrier for other flavors.

I'm also playing around with rice and soy "cheese" today.

Wise Old Owl
09-19-2009, 14:32
Well I got a pack of Firm Tofu, and with different thicknesses, soaked in the jerky, well I will let you know.

saimyoji
09-19-2009, 17:05
tofu tasteless? you just don't have enough tofu eating experience or sensitivity of palate to discern the subtle taste. don't criticize something that you've set yourself up to be let down by. stop eating the rich over powered tasting foods and let your taste buds regain their sensitivity.

TOFU RULEZ.

www.donthatethetofu.com

Wise Old Owl
09-19-2009, 17:32
tofu tasteless? you just don't have enough tofu eating experience or sensitivity of palate to discern the subtle taste. don't criticize something that you've set yourself up to be let down by. stop eating the rich over powered tasting foods and let your taste buds regain their sensitivity.

TOFU RULEZ.

www.donthatethetofu.com (http://www.donthatethetofu.com)

Out of the box - tasteless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHSZ0Kj9jM

saimyoji
09-19-2009, 17:37
out Of The Box - Delish!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edhsz0kj9jm

Right!?!?!?!