PDA

View Full Version : How much water do you carry & how

pokohiker
07-03-2004, 19:00
Hi, my name is Dave and I'm planning on thru hiking the AT in 2005 starting probably mid March. (NOBO) I was wondering how much water do people generally carry. I have the Granite Gear Ozone pack and I find it's not easy to carry water (side pockets are real tight). I have recently carried 2 - 32 ounce nalgene bottles and a 20 ounce soda bottle. Is it possible to carry less water, say 2 - 12 ounce nalgene bottles and a soda bottle?

I also have two types of water bags that I like. One is a 2 1/2 gallon bag with a spigot and the other is called the " Kitchen Sink " by Sea To Summit. It holds 10 litres and I thought this would good for bathing from (luxury item) and carrying water a short distance while at shelters or camp to filter from. What do you think? :-? Thanks, Dave

minnesotasmith
07-03-2004, 19:20
But, on day hikes, I carry a 2-qt. plastic canteen, a 1-qt. plastic canteen, and a 2-qt. plastic thermos (that has LOTS of ice in it before I start out). I go through lots of water, and am not inclined to lug and risk my Katadyne water filter on a day-hike. Water is easily 80% of my pack weight on day hikes, and its weight goes down as the day progresses and I get increasingly tired. Plus, my thinking is that I can always discard any water I find I'm clearly not going to need at any time I wish to.

Patco
07-03-2004, 20:32
I got by easily with 2 ea. 32 oz bottles. Sometimes that was too much even. However there are some dry sections and you have to play them by ear. Word of mouth is normally pretty good, like, "Hey - how far to the next good water source?" I normally left camp/shelter with 2 bottles and had to filter a bit during the day. I'd be out be dinner time and use dad's nylon water bag to carry a bunch from the spring/stream to cook and clean with. That would be enough to filter for the next day too. Sometimes trail angels leave a gallon of water for thru-hikers near a road in dry areas.

:sun

hungryhowie
07-03-2004, 22:25
I seem to carry more water than many hikers, but certainly not more capacity. Most hikers find soft bladders to be more efficient at carrying water than hard-sided bottles. I prefer those made by camelbak, MSR, and Platypus...each have their pros and cons.

Generally, I start out the day with a full (or nearly so) 100oz camelbak hydration bladder. It's more water than many carry, but I do so because I like to have enough get me through the day. It's nice to know that I'm not relying on a resupply during the day to get me through, and if I find a wonderful camp somewhere without water, it's nice to be able to stop, enjoy the evening, and have enough water for dinner.

In wetter climes, I usually carry an additional 1L platypus bottle, but if I'm hiking with a partner, or I'm hiking solo in drier climes, I usually substitute (or add) a 2L and/or 4L MSR Dromlite.

Anyway, that's how I do the water thing.

-Howie

Jaybird
07-04-2004, 08:04
[QUOTE=pokohiker]Hi, my name is Dave and I'm planning on thru hiking the AT in 2005 starting probably mid March. (NOBO) I was wondering how much water do people generally carry...........etc etc etc........................./QUOTE]

Yo Dave:

Throw the Nalgenes away!
...grab a couple 28oz or 32 oz (or 1 liter) sports drink bottles....they weigh less than 1/2 of a Nalgene bottle (most only 1 or 2oz each)

ANd to answer your question: always ck on the next section you're hiking to see if the water sources are plentiful! Lately this hasnt been a problem...with all the rainfall.

So, my suggestion is.......take two large water bottles...leave the water "bladders" & "kitchen sinks" @ home! :D

good luck with your 2005 hike!

Big Guy
07-04-2004, 09:45
Usually carry two lliters on any outing. Also carry a Bota filter if by myself. If I am with others still carry two liters and then carry my Pur Hiker pump to filter. Only once did I ahve a water problem due to dry conditions.

stickman
07-04-2004, 10:23
Remember that the best canteen ever made is your stomach. I always drink LOTS of water before I get on the trail for the day (usually I camp at or near a water source). I also drink LOTS of water when I pass it on the trail and its convenient, even if I don't fee thirsty. With that I easily get through even a long hot day with a couple of liters in sports bottles or a bladder (my preference). Good luck with the upcoming NOBO. I'm a few years further away from that myself, but one of these days...

SGT Rock
07-04-2004, 10:49
I agree with carrying water inside you as a method. Instead of a hose to connect the water to your body, carry it where it was designed to be carried anyway.

I usually only carry 1 liter of water in a Gatorade bottle. In really dry conditions I may carry an extra liter. I camel up with a liter or two in the mornings and then as I pass good water, I will usually stop for a second and kill what water I have and re-fill.

I camp near water - this is more important than a shelter. But most shelters are near water anyway. If I have to make a dry camp, I will usually plan ahead and fill up at the last good water before camp. In camp I use a 3L platapus bladder sans hose and my 1L Gtorade bottle. This is plenty to allow me to clean up, cook, clean dishes, make breakfast, camel up in the morning, and still have about a liter to hit the trail with in the morning.

Kerosene
07-04-2004, 12:38
I also use the GG Nimbus Ozone pack. Take a look at the flexible collapsible Nalgene 32 oz. Cantene screwtop bottles that are less than half the weight of the Lexan bottles and hold more (can overfill to 42 oz; see http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/nalgene_cantene_water_bottle_1L.html). Since the Ozone doesn't easily accommodate a water bladder, I purchased a "feeder hose" top for one of the bottles that allows me to invert the bottle in the pocket and attach the bite valve to the side of one of my pack straps (see http://www.justhike.com/site/465873/product/340706), effectively serving the function of a water bladder. While the side pockets of the GG packs are admittedly tight for thick bottles, the Cantenes have a thinner/taller profile than the Lexan bottles. I'd guess that your sleeping bag is on the bottom of the pack and unless you have a sub-2 pound bag it will likely take up a lot of the room. You might try placing your sleeping bag stuffsack up higher or using a compression sack, or perhaps orienting the stuffsack vertically paired with your foodbag or clothing bag (but it's harder to keep things balanced this way).

This setup has worked quite well for me for 100+ mile hikes during the Fall when water sources can get a little scarce. I've heard some people say that the flexible Cantenes can develop leaks, but mine are still going strong after 500 miles. For an especially dry section or where I know that water sources are well down the ridge off the trail, I might supplement with a 4 oz./10L water sack (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13506&memberId=12500226) that doubles as an inflatable pillow (comfy when partially inflated and wrapped in your fleece!), trickle shower bag, camp/group water bag, and extra water container. However, I've found that I rarely need more than the 84 ounces available in the two Cantenes unless I have a dry camp with two meals.

stickman
07-04-2004, 16:54
Sarge, thanks for all you do to help this site and the hiking community!

PS, I learned the camel up trick during some long hot days in the Army (Nam, 71-72).

Take good care.

Kozmic Zian
07-04-2004, 17:20
Yea......H20. .I always try to 'camel up' in the AM, carry about 1/2 liter or better....camel up when I see a spring......etc. It depends on where you are. What the weather is doing (hot & muggy or cool and dry). Heat of the day, or eveining. If on the AT, use the Guide book or maps to determine how far you have to go for water, allowing for factors such as how plentiful water is, how dry the season has been, etc. You have to be a little more cautious off Trail or on some other LDT where water might not be as plentiful as on the AT, carrying a bit more, up to 2 liters. I also have a Camel Back 2 liter dromedary bag for camp, cooking, and resupply, etc. It's always better to have a little too much h20 than not enough. Nothing drives me crazy quicker that being without water on the Trail.....Camel UP!KZ@;)

The Will
07-04-2004, 20:26
Jaybird made a point that is deserving of consideration when he spoke of asking about water sources from hikers coming the other direction. Most (all) AT source guides, (The "AT Data Book" for example) are going to accurately list distances to and locations of water sources. Because some of these sources are dependent upon seasonal rainfall it can be imperative to seek water information from hikers who have come from the direction you are heading. More often than not, conversations I had with northbound hikers (my hike was SOBO) included a query of the immediate water situation.

Regarding water capacity. It is my custom to fill up a 2.4L platypus bladder and begin with that each morning. This is more water than many hikers carry, but it is my opinion that it has some advantages. 1) It limits the number of stops necessitated by empty water bottles and 2) further ensures that you are prepared to take adequate care your hydration needs. I recall a hiker who was carrying single quart of water to save weight. We were hiking in late June and at a rest break he explained how anxious he was for the next water source so he could "down this quart of water." He was rationing water while backpacking in summer.

I've been very please with the Platypus bladders. Despite their appearence, all of my experience with them implies that they are durable. The two I started my thru-hike with lasted the duration of the trip and for trips beyond. Plus they weigh very little and when empty they fold up to nothing.

One more note about water and weight. I consider water a rapidly diminishing weight. That 2.4L I begin each day with does not stay 2.4L for very long if I am taking care of myself as I should.

These are only my opinions. Every post from every experienced hiker warrants consideration and as long as you have plenty of water to meet your needs carried in a system you are comfortable with maybe there is no "best" system.

The Will
MEGA '97

minnesotasmith
07-04-2004, 22:01
I once spent six weeks doing day hiking in the hills of W. Texas, New Mexico, and Utah during the middle of summer, usually between the hours of 0700 - 1500. Even "cameling up" with water in the early morning back in civilization, I found that I routinely went thru all 5 quarts of water I was carrying, and the instant I got back to a water source, I wanted more water right away. I have a strong suspicion that many AT thru-hikers/overnight hikers on the trail south of New England during May - September are probably chronically dehydrated during part of each day they are on the Trail. The old rule about "if your urine is darker than very light yellow, you're dehydrated!" is one I find believable. Comments here from anyone who has been on the AT in the mid-Atlantic states during summer?

BigToe
07-05-2004, 16:26
My son and I section hike - we like to drink a LOT of water while hiking. We are currently carrying 2 one liter lexan containers and a 3L Camelback each. I would rather have it and drink it to lighten my pack than not have it and be sorry. Last year we section hiked in VA carrying 4L and went through it all everyday - in fact one day we ran out before the next source which was not a happy day.

The lexan widemouths are heavy but one benefit is they fit our MSR MiniWorks filter.

We also charge up every morning with at least a liter in the belly.

Catfish John

FatMan
07-05-2004, 17:41
How much water I carry is direct proportion to my uncertainty in finding it. I am really paranoid of being out of water. As a section and weekend hiker I often hike the same trails so I am very certain of water availability. In many cases I carry one quart gatorade bottle and that is it. Any time I pass a water source I stop and drink always leaving with my bottle full.

If I have never hiked the trail I always check topo maps for likely water and always read trail descriptions in the many trail books I have to determine availabilty. I have carried as much as 6 quarts - 12 lbs (what I consider a minimum day's supply) for sections of trail where water may be scarce. When I get to a water source and am uncertain of the next I load up. If I know the next I figure 1 quart per 2.5 miles. I would think if I ever thru-hiked I would bring decent capacity but only fill what I deemed necessary to make it to the next confirmed water source. At two pounds per quart it is senseless to carry more water than you need, however, if you are uncertain about your next water it always better to be safe than sorry.

tlbj6142
07-05-2004, 21:51
I carry 2 32oz containers. Either Gatoraid or Nalgene softsided canteens (really 48oz). I slam a quart before I leave camp (sometimes as milk) and plan to drink 1 qt per 6 miles. If the water sources are farther apart than 6 miles, I'll carry 2 qts from the last souce.

I use a 2 qt Ocean Spray "square" bottle for camp water.

NOTE: I use to be a fan of bladders (still us them on day hikes), but I found I drank significantly less than when carrying containers. Now I always know how much I have and can pace myself if needed. Besides taking a drink now requires I stop and drop my pack (some folks think this takes 20 minutes to do) which is always a good thing.

minnesotasmith
07-05-2004, 22:51
based upon. When I hiked most of the Approach Trail a few weeks ago, I would stop once every 45-50 minutes for about 4 minutes, chugging liquid and catching my breath just a bit. I found that at stops I got a different (and useful) perspective on how worn and winded I was or was not. I took leaks as needed between water breaks (OK, so I only went 3 paces off the Trail; it was a rainy day, after all.) Anyway, I figure I needed those breaks anyway, and don't think they were a net cost to my pace.

SalParadise
07-06-2004, 13:23
I carry a gallon capacity; a 3 Litre bladder and a Nalgene (go with gatorade/soda bottle if you can for weight). More than that is unnecessary, including your big-capacity bags; you won't really need more water than that at camp, and the streams from camp aren't very far. Less capacity than a gallon can become a chore, since stopping at every stream also means waiting :20 before you drink for the iodine to purify the water. Plus it's nice to be able to pass over poor water sources.