PDA

View Full Version : What is the best GPS for the AT

Mikereisner
06-20-2009, 15:34
I have a 7 year old garmin legend that can pick sat. only on clear days in the middle of winter. I am looking for a very good GPS that I can relay on for the next ten years (give or take). I don't need a camera with it or a phone. I do want something that is perfect for the AT. I have heard that there are softwear that has the AT on it. I have gone to EMS and having spend 45 min. realize that they done know their product line very well.

Tin Man
06-20-2009, 16:01
the best AT gps is the one that gets you to the trail and stays in the car :)

kidding aside, don't need it, but it can be a fun toy. don't rely on it for navigation. carry a map and know how to read it and you'll be fine.

Pacific Tortuga
06-20-2009, 16:02
GPS for the Trail ????? 20/20 vision is the best for the Trail.

Off Trail hiking, I'd check out Garman's 'Colorados' line.

fiddlehead
06-20-2009, 17:17
Check out the Garmin 60 CSX.
A bit big and heavy but doesn't lose signal even in triple canopy jungle.

Anyway, it's my latest one and the best i've had.

kayak karl
06-20-2009, 19:11
Check out the Garmin 60 CSX.
A bit big and heavy but doesn't lose signal even in triple canopy jungle.

Anyway, it's my latest one and the best i've had.
i heard nothing but good things about 60 CSX. my friends use that on for finding old mills, bridges and stuff in the pines. its good on the water also, but for the AT id leave it home. maybe i'll get one for fathers day. ;)

Wise Old Owl
06-20-2009, 19:56
There are good prices on vista HCX but keep in mind you would have to upload maps and purchase a extra chip

trippclark
06-20-2009, 22:44
As others have said, and you no doubt know, a GPS for hiking the AT is quite unnecessary. I'll also agree with another post that as far as being a real "help" to you, a car GPS is more valuable. Appalachian Pages 2009 now has GPS points listed for some 200 or so parking locations and road crossings. For my past two hikes, I have used these with my car's TomTom to drive right to the trailhead.

All that said, a handheld GPS on the trail can be an interesting toy and, in my opinion, a worthwhile gadget to carry if you are so inclined. It is interesting to record a track log and then review it after the hike, and to look at trip stats, pull the track log into Google Earth or MotionBased.com, etc. Some might enjoy this, others may think it is useless and uninteresting . . . HYOH.

I had been using a Garmin Gecko 201 for about 6 years and had similar issues to what you describe, plus battery life was quite poor in this older device (newer Gecko's may be better). I recently researched, selected, and acquired a Garmin Vista HCX (and the US topo maps on CD). I have used it on two AT hikes so far and have been very pleased. It grabs a signal quickly and holds it very, very well. It even gets a signal while inside of my house. It also has very good battery life. I can get more than 24 hours of continued use on a set of two good quality AA rechargeable batteries while recording a track log.

The Garmin Colorado series looks fantastic too, but for me these were too pricey. The Vista HCX was priced at a reasonable point and had excellent features, IMO.

Mikereisner
06-21-2009, 08:51
Yes I can agree that for the most part a GPS is a toy and I have done many sections with out using it. But what I left out in me first posting is that I am hiking with my 73 year old father. When he was younger, he could run up and down mountains all day without getting winded. but age has caught with his body but not his mind. I know the trails is getting very hard for him but for me to say me to say that he can't do it any more would brake his heart. The GPS is very important to know how far we need to go to the water, the shelters and parking. More importantly, I know exactly where we are if one of us gets hurt.

trippclark
06-21-2009, 13:09
Yes I can agree that for the most part a GPS is a toy and I have done many sections with out using it. But what I left out in me first posting is that I am hiking with my 73 year old father. When he was younger, he could run up and down mountains all day without getting winded. but age has caught with his body but not his mind. I know the trails is getting very hard for him but for me to say me to say that he can't do it any more would brake his heart. The GPS is very important to know how far we need to go to the water, the shelters and parking. More importantly, I know exactly where we are if one of us gets hurt.

Thanks for the additional info. That does add to the value in terms of peace of mind if nothing else. I only have field experience with very few units, but the Vista HCX has been a real performer. "Best" is a relative term, but I have been very satisfied with it.

Tinker
06-21-2009, 15:01
A GPS is a handheld video game for young folks who grew up with an electronic gadget in their hands. No GPS is necessary to negotiate the AT. I use a map and compass, and at that, I use the compass more as a grooming mirror before hitch hiking than anything else. I doubt you'd need a map most places, but we all need some entertainment.....

Tennessee Viking
06-21-2009, 19:20
I thought I wanted a GPS when I first started hiking. But really there is no need unless you are bushwhacking or doing a multiple trail system. With the AT, you got too options follow the white blazes north or follow the white blazes south. Then with good maps and guide books you can find your self in a second.

Alerys
06-21-2009, 20:59
Then with good maps and guide books you can find your self in a second.

I'd like to know where to buy maps that good. ;)

fiddlehead
06-21-2009, 23:52
It seems to me that everyone who is telling you that it is just a toy has no ambitions to ever hike more arduous trails or go out and hike above treeline out west where you don't need a trail.
Taking a GPS on a thru-hike is a good way to get familiar with all it can do.
It takes time to learn and experience things and all the mistakes that can be made (I hated when i deleted everything i had in there once and learned never to do that again)

So, keep an open mind and someday you might be glad for the experience you have on the tool (not toy)

TwoForty
06-22-2009, 00:30
The one that stays home! I can't think of a use for a GPS on the AT, even in the winter with the trail covered in 8 inches of snow.

RockDoc
06-22-2009, 23:21
The Garmin 60Csx is getting a bit dated, but then again, it's gotten a lot cheaper now that it's not the "flavor of the week". It is a very robust little unit that holds signal well in tree cover. I used it from Springer to Hot Springs, in April 09, and had previously used it on other sections and on many outings and ultraruns out west. My friend old Corpus used the same unit, I noticed.

A few advantages are
-you know explicitly how far it is to known features like shelters, springs, towns, roads, etc
-you know how far you have come that day.
-you have a record of climb and descent, which can be very impressive at the end of the day on the AT (sometimes over 10,000 ft).
-the recorded "bread crumb" track can be uploaded and plotted on Garmin maps, or Google Earth, and then tilted to offer a perspective view of your hike, which is really cool.

I've worked as a mapping professional for the USGS since 1980. I carry maps too, but I find the GPS is my go-to source for geographical info. Yes it may seem like a nerdy gadget (especially if you don't know how to use it, which includes most hikers), but information is power, the saying goes. Power hiking is it!:cool:

Disadvantages are:
-you have to buy an additional topo data set ($100), but then you have the AT and springs, and most of what you need (shelter locations and AT trace are free on the web). In three weeks I found only one error in shelter location in NC; all the others were right on the money.
-some days they are fussy and won't get a signal right off.
-battery life can be short; 2-3 days, and batteries are heavy.
-if you drop it on a rock, or in the spring, it will probably break.:( so don't rely on it toooo much....:p

ki0eh
06-23-2009, 06:24
The Garmin 60CSx and 76CSx (I have both) are still pretty good but you need to buy the maps separately. "2-3 days" isn't short battery life compared to the 2-3 HOURS I get from other units.

I get much longer battery life if the unit's off, and only turned on when you need it. I know that sounds kinda obvious, but on the A.T. there are enough other sources of data that you don't need the GPS on all the time for a crumb trail to know how far you've gone. In PA, if you're looking at the GPSr all the time to know where to go, you'll probably trip over a rock. ;)

The Garmin units that end in "x" acquire quickly enough that you can turn it on at a water break, and usually know where you are after the first couple of sips. More than I can say for other units I've used, and posted about on WB previously.

Tin Man
06-23-2009, 06:33
It seems to me that everyone who is telling you that it is just a toy has no ambitions to ever hike more arduous trails or go out and hike above treeline out west where you don't need a trail.
Taking a GPS on a thru-hike is a good way to get familiar with all it can do.
It takes time to learn and experience things and all the mistakes that can be made (I hated when i deleted everything i had in there once and learned never to do that again)

So, keep an open mind and someday you might be glad for the experience you have on the tool (not toy)

good point, but if you need to take a gps on an entire thru-hike to get familiar with it, it's probably best not to hike more arduous trails

The Old Fhart
06-23-2009, 06:54
Whether you are planning "to hike more arduous trails" or not has nothing with the desire to use a GPS. There are over one million registered geocachers on geocaching.com and countless recreational outdoorsmen and professionals throughout the world who understand the value of a GPS and know how to use them.

I find it odd, and somewhat amusing, that there are posters here telling others they aren't real hikers unless they leave the GPS home without knowing why the person wants to carry a GPS. A GPS can be very helpful and if you want to carry one, go for it, and don't listen to those who either don't fully understand the features of the newer GPS units, are elitists, or are neo-luddites.

Tin Man
06-23-2009, 08:08
Whether you are planning "to hike more arduous trails" or not has nothing with the desire to use a GPS. There are over one million registered geocachers on geocaching.com and countless recreational outdoorsmen and professionals throughout the world who understand the value of a GPS and know how to use them.

I find it odd, and somewhat amusing, that there are posters here telling others they aren't real hikers unless they leave the GPS home without knowing why the person wants to carry a GPS. A GPS can be very helpful and if you want to carry one, go for it, and don't listen to those who either don't fully understand the features of the newer GPS units, are elitists, or are neo-luddites.

one million geocachers? now that's funny. push a button and you find the loot. hunters and bushwhackers with gps, i understand. the rest are just plain funny. but there is fun in funny, so have fun, i really don't care, but y'all might want to examine why you do. :)

The Old Fhart
06-23-2009, 09:13
Tin Man-"one million geocachers? now that's funny. push a button and you find the loot. hunters and bushwhackers with gps, i understand. the rest are just plain funny."Again, an elitist attitude not based on fact. Although there are plenty of real easy caches (it is a family activity as well), there are ones that involve trail finding, bushwhacking, kayaking, waypoint projection, and logic. You could pass these up until you understand how to use a GPS.:D

Tin Man
06-23-2009, 09:17
Again, an elitist attitude not based on fact. Although there are plenty of real easy caches (it is a family activity as well), there are ones that involve trail finding, bushwhacking, kayaking, waypoint projection, and logic. You could pass these up until you understand how to use a GPS.:D

i have geocached - it is boring, ymmv... like i said have fun :)

The Old Fhart
06-23-2009, 10:43
Tin Man-"i have geocached - it is boring, ymmv... like i said have fun :)"You are correct in that there are people that find "trail finding, bushwhacking, kayaking, waypoint projection, and logic" boring. But to try to belittle others who can see the worth of a GPS and enjoy the outdoors in a way that you don't see as fitting into your view of what's right is narrowminded. As Fiddlehead said-"So, keep an open mind and someday you might be glad for the experience you have on the tool (not toy)":D

mudhead
06-23-2009, 11:09
I went thru a benchmark hunting phase. I could have used a GPS. After trying to find several oddballs, I figure I could make it a project trying to find a geocache. It can be slippery at low tide...

Tin Man
06-23-2009, 12:07
You are correct in that there are people that find "trail finding, bushwhacking, kayaking, waypoint projection, and logic" boring. But to try to belittle others who can see the worth of a GPS and enjoy the outdoors in a way that you don't see as fitting into your view of what's right is narrowminded. As Fiddlehead said-"So, keep an open mind and someday you might be glad for the experience you have on the tool (not toy)":D

whatever dude... i have plenty of navigation and orienteering skills, been there done that, no electronics required. got the electronics and it took all the fun out of it. push button positioning, where's the challenge? i'll tell you where, rescue crews who have to come to replace some idiots batteries because he has no map or compass skills. if you can't dead reckon, i reckon you are dead. have an open mind is correct - you might learn something that could save your butt. :)

leeki pole
06-23-2009, 12:17
Mine came in handy when I spotted a black bear cub on our back 40. I called the Wildlife Commission and gave the ranger the exact coordinates of the sighting. They're rare here, and the ranger was quite appreciative. Other than that, I wouldn't bother with one on the AT. They're fun, but I'd rather have a map and compass.

The Old Fhart
06-23-2009, 12:24
Tin Man-"whatever dude... i have plenty of navigation and orienteering skills, been there done that, no electronics required."Completely irrelevant to the OPs question. As a tool to fulfill his need a GPS does exactly what he wants. He doesn't need some elitist telling him he's a sissy for using the best tool for the job.

Tin Man-"i'll tell you where, rescue crews who have to come to replace some idiots batteries because he has no map or compass skills. if you can't dead reckon, i reckon you are dead. have an open mind is correct - you might learn something that could save your butt.:)"I've taught map and compass for over 25 years for the NH chapter AMC and have learned the GPS is a valuable tool for those who know how to use it. If you learn how to use it correctly it could save your butt as well.:D

Tin Man
06-23-2009, 12:29
Completely irrelevant to the OPs question. As a tool to fulfill his need a GPS does exactly what he wants. He doesn't need some elitist telling him he's a sissy for using the best tool for the job.
I've taught map and compass for over 25 years for the NH chapter AMC and have learned the GPS is a valuable tool for those who know how to use it. If you learn how to use it correctly it could save your butt as well.:D

you're missing the point. it is not elitist to suggest that people learn basic navigation skills for when supplemental electronics devices fail. kids today think they can get anything they want with the push of a button. i do not want to see anyone get into serious trouble because their batteries ran dry. how about you?

vamelungeon
06-23-2009, 12:58
The guy didn't ask "What navigation skills should I have?" He asked what would be the best GPS to get and stated his needs. You are missing the point.

Tin Man
06-23-2009, 13:58
didn't realize this was straight forward or that hikers with toys had no sense of humor, my bad :rolleyes:

The Old Fhart
06-23-2009, 16:05
A Garmin 60CSx (what I own) or a Delorme PN-40 would be good choices for the OP. The ATC has A.T. track info as well as waypoints for all the shelters along the entire trail. If you plan on getting one make sure you own it for enough time to fully understand its features before taking it on the trail.

As an aside, "hikers with toys" have a sense of humor and have enjoyed a few good laughs in this thread reading some of the uninformed elitist posts. This "toy", as some people call it, is used extensively by the military (who owns the SVs or satellites), scientist, surveyors, and other professional people who need the best and most accurate tools for the job. People who have a GPS installed in their car instantly realize the paradigm shift from map and compass to GPS.

Tin Man
06-23-2009, 16:47
again too funny and for the last time and feel free to call me whatever makes you feel important...

topic title is 'what is the best GPS for the AT'
my response is 'none', simple, direct, legitimate response
not needed, helps little, but i consistently said, ymmv, so i ain't excluding your answer, but you want to exclude mine. i'm fine with that and i am only responding because you are calling me elitist, whatever dude, but i ain't and you are, have fun with your toy, i really could care less :)

for those who actually think map and compass skills are not elitist, good for you, you may need to save someone who is totally dependent on a gps someday :)

dragging the military into is even funnier, but let's not go there

now where is that beat a dead horse smilie when i need him :)

okay, off to a BSA court of honor, where i am receiving a patch for tagging all of the state of CT geocache sites...

LiamNZ
06-23-2009, 23:09
for those who actually think map and compass skills are not elitist, good for you, you may need to save someone who is totally dependent on a gps someday :)

Nobody ever said the OP was going to be totally reliant on his GPS, except you. To assume is to make an ass out of u and me.

Alligator
06-23-2009, 23:35
Nobody ever said the OP was going to be totally reliant on his GPS, except you. To assume is to make an ass out of u and me.Tin Man never made any specific assumptions like that in regard to the OP.

Time to get back to answering the OP's question though.

Mikereisner
06-29-2009, 18:41
I get the point from the tin man. God! i get the point. I asked a simple question on what hikers think the best GPS is. I didn't ask if i should or should not have one. And yes I do know how to read a Map. I was a forward Observer for 10 years in the Marine Corp. I probably know how to read a map better than most hikers. I already stated why I want to use the GPS. If you think that is a dumb reason to have a GPS, then you are an idiot.

Wise Old Owl
06-29-2009, 19:01
Hmm a few old timers who won't accept new indian ways.....

Wise Old Owl
06-29-2009, 19:25
I have a 7 year old garmin legend that can pick sat. only on clear days in the middle of winter. I am looking for a very good GPS that I can relay on for the next ten years (give or take). I don't need a camera with it or a phone. I do want something that is perfect for the AT. I have heard that there are softwear that has the AT on it. I have gone to EMS and having spend 45 min. realize that they done know their product line very well.

Ok but HCX and Oregon IF you read the product lit, addresses those OLD problems.

It's over, and repaired.

fiddlehead
06-29-2009, 20:44
One point I'd like to make about the power of a GPS:
We were in France on our Pyrenees hike in '99 and it was a total whiteout with visibilty of about 20 feet!
I had just finished the CDT the year before so, knew how to use a GPS.
My hiking companions weren't sold on them yet and were into the triangulation method (which i also knew)
In the whiteout, we were looking for a dirt road shown on our map. The GPS showed it to be fairly close and to our south. The dead reckoning was useless in that fog.

AFter about 20 minutes of discussion (bordering on arguing) the weather suddenly cleared for about 15 seconds. WE got to see that the way they wanted to go (a guess at best) would've lead us over a 40' cliff. The road was about 100 meters away exactly where the GPS said it would be.

Sorry if i bored anyone with my story, i know there's never any fog on the AT or need to know where the cliff is (unless you get off-trail by mistake of course)

Of course the new ones are so much better with their built in maps. Back in '99 we had to make our own template and use the Paris meridian on that trail.

SARdaddy
06-30-2009, 09:42
A GPS is a handheld video game for young folks who grew up with an electronic gadget in their hands.

I am old and use one, but for different reasons then the AT. It's a tool, like any other with advantages and disadvantages. Even grumpy old dudes like me can appreciate a good tool.