PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Hostel is great

mateozzz
06-20-2009, 16:24
I did the GA section in May and just wanted to post that I really enjoyed staying at the Hiker Hostel. They picked me up at the airport, dropped me off at Amicalola, and then picked me up in Hiawassee, all on time, very professional and friendly. Like staying at a friends cabin, just great!

Matt

mateozzz
06-20-2009, 16:35
Thought I would add that Hiawasse Inn was changing owners or maybe even closing, and maybe they should buy it and make it another Hiker Hostel, possibly add one in Franklin, too. That would make a sweet support system for hikers.

Red Hat
06-20-2009, 17:40
You've got to be kidding! How do you expect Profile and Almanac (Josh and Leigh) to run two hostels? It is a full time job running the one they have! I am sorry to hear that Ron and Sam are selling, though. They just bought the place back in 2004, so it's only been five years. Guess that's about the length of time when folks get bored doing the same old thing.

Marta
06-21-2009, 07:54
...They just bought the place back in 2004, so it's only been five years. Guess that's about the length of time when folks get bored doing the same old thing.

Burnout is definitely a problem. A hiker-friendly motel owners in NJ mentioned while he was shuttling me that the average length of time for owning a motel was 10 years. He also mentioned that he was the only non-Indian owning a motel in NJ.

Jeff
06-21-2009, 10:17
Hiker Hostel is an outstanding, one of a kind establishment on the AT. Wonder what NOBO's think.... as they move northward I am sure their definition of a hiker hostel changes.

Grayhair
01-19-2012, 17:31
Two mega thumbs up for Josh and Leigh. They maintain a class act there in NorthGeorgia. Many years of success to youfolks. Highly recommend a stay at theirplace. If there was a rating system forhiker hostels, I would give them 4 stars out of 4. It’s that good.

BabySue
07-08-2012, 21:03
I concur. Five of us recently spent two nights / three days slack packing, using Hiker Hostel. Everything about it was top notch.

10-K
07-08-2012, 21:53
Same here. Stayed there before my BMT hike and got a shuttle to FS 42. Everything ran like clockwork, very businesslike.