PDA

View Full Version : How to get from Weed, CA to the PCT?

Cassie
06-20-2009, 20:10
Is there a road or a trail that'll take me from Weed, CA to the trail?

Bulldawg
06-20-2009, 20:43
When I first looked at this thread I thought it said "How to get weed on the PCT"

:welcome:banana:welcome:eek::eek:

fiddlehead
06-20-2009, 21:42
I think the easiest way is to head south to Castle Crags State Park.
Or you could go west to Siead Valley but that is a long and windy road over the mountains.

There is another place called Scott's something where i believe there is a road crossing.

Do you have the guidebook? If so, look for those 1st two i mentioned and study the maps for those sections.

SawnieRobertson
06-21-2009, 15:01
When are you needing a ride?--Kinnickinic

boarstone
06-21-2009, 16:34

And I thought it was asking how to get weed from CA to the PCT! Whew! Glad i reread it!:D

Dogwood
06-21-2009, 18:47
I believe there is a bus system (Mt Shasta Bus System?, may be wrong with the name of the busline comp. though), but I know last yr. there was a bus that went from Mt Shasta , the town, to Weed, the town. From downtown Mt Shasta you can get a bus to Dunsmir, where it's a short hitch to Castle Crags SP. You also may be able to hitch near the I 5 on ramp to get you to the Castle Crags exit south of Weed. Google public transit for Mt Shasta area or check out the Chamber of Commerce website for Mt Shasta for buses.

Many Walks
06-21-2009, 23:09
3 miles NW of Weed is the I-5 Edgewood exit. Just West of there is a road junction where you'll pick up 42N17, which ascends for 14 miles mostly along Parks Creek to the PCT.

fiddlehead
06-21-2009, 23:42
3 miles NW of Weed is the I-5 Edgewood exit. Just West of there is a road junction where you'll pick up 42N17, which ascends for 14 miles mostly along Parks Creek to the PCT.

That sounds like the route i took that gets to that "Scott" something pass.
It is a lonely road if it is the same one and it took me a while to hitch it.

But it is probably the closest.

I still think Castle Crags SP directly south would be easier if it's just anywhere on the PCT that your goal is.

World-Wide
06-22-2009, 08:12
When I first looked at this thread I thought it said "How to get weed on the PCT"

:welcome:banana:welcome:eek::eek:

http://www.drugs-plaza.com/pictures/funny/yoda_on_weed.jpg

Many Walks
06-22-2009, 10:46
That sounds like the route i took that gets to that "Scott" something pass.
It is a lonely road if it is the same one and it took me a while to hitch it.

But it is probably the closest.

I still think Castle Crags SP directly south would be easier if it's just anywhere on the PCT that your goal is.
I agree, Castle Crags is easy access and if the question is the closest place to jump on the PCT in the area, that would be it. We hiked the Crags last weekend and know the PCT is close.

Cassie was asking specifically about the road from Weed to the PCT and 42N17 is the one.

Datto
09-23-2009, 00:20

I got back to the PCT from Weed, California by way of a nudist camp. Didn't even know it was a clothing optional place until one moment some people had their clothes on and the next moment I was eating a sandwich at the little nudist deli shop and the people de-robed and were stark naked. Egg salad on rye I think.

A little dinner theater on the way back to the PCT -- tried to get 'em to form a chorus line for a photo op. No dice.

Datto

PS: No, it did not take me a week to get back to the PCT after the nudist camp visit.

SawnieRobertson
09-23-2009, 08:49
I got back to the PCT from Weed, California by way of a nudist camp. Didn't even know it was a clothing optional place until one moment some people had their clothes on and the next moment I was eating a sandwich at the little nudist deli shop and the people de-robed and were stark naked. Egg salad on rye I think.

A little dinner theater on the way back to the PCT -- tried to get 'em to form a chorus line for a photo op. No dice.

Datto

PS: No, it did not take me a week to get back to the PCT after the nudist camp visit.

Great to hear from Datto again!--Kinnickinic