PDA

View Full Version : 4L Platy Water Tank

MintakaCat
06-21-2009, 07:04
I'm going backpacking next weekend to a spot that is a good distance from a water source. So while I was in REI I saw these 4 liter water tanks. I bought it and it looks like it will do the trick. I'm wondering if the ziplock will hold when its full.

Anyone ever try this product and what is your impressions of it?

Here's the link to it:

http://cascadedesigns.com/Platypus/Filtration-And-Storage/Platy-Water-Tank/product

mark schofield
06-21-2009, 07:48
I bought one last year. The older 4L style which is taller. The zip lock works well, it stands up, and it folds up nice and flat when empty. Really handy for long walks to water like Tom Leanord shelter.

MintakaCat
06-21-2009, 08:09
I bought one last year. The older 4L style which is taller. The zip lock works well, it stands up, and it folds up nice and flat when empty. Really handy for long walks to water like Tom Leanord shelter.

Thanks, it looks like a great product. I was just concerned that the side-to-side pressure placed on it when its full of water might open the ziplock from the inside.

Interesting that they a taller version at one time.

You're right about it being handy for long walk to water, I'm going to be faced with that on the next trip.

kanga
06-21-2009, 08:49
great product. after watching roots and cuffs with theirs i went and got the 6L and am very happy i did. ziplock hasn't given yet, full or not.

garlic08
06-21-2009, 09:23
This thread was posted last week:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51287&highlight=platypus+zip

In my experience, a 4L water container is a liability. If it fails, you have lost most of your water. This happened on my first desert hike in NM. I now carry multiple 2L containers. If you're anywhere with thorns and cactus, Platypus is not the best product, either--use large Gatorade bottles.

MintakaCat
06-21-2009, 09:44
This thread was posted last week:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51287&highlight=platypus+zip

Oops, sorry. I did attempt a search but I was using the wrong description. I should have used platypus rather than platy water tank.:o

brooklynkayak
06-22-2009, 07:29
In my experience, a 4L water container is a liability. If it fails, you have lost most of your water.

Yes, we always carry a combination of 1 and 2 liter platypus and soda bottles for this reason.
I do carry the platy 4L water tank, but as my dirty water collector, top gravity filter bag.
I would probably use it on those rare long dry stretches of trail, when I need the extra capacity, but haven't yet.

The zip-lock is pretty substantial and should hold up as long as you don't sit on it.

Mrs Baggins
06-22-2009, 08:18
Ours must be pretty old. It doesn't zip lock. It has a screw-on cap. We use it in when we're done hiking for the day - fill it up for dinner cooking, washing up, breakfast cooking. We each use a 2 L bladder for day time drinking water.

shoe
06-22-2009, 22:46
baggins...the one you carried last year was a ziplock.
I bought one after I saw yours and it sucked :)
But you never had issues with yours.