PDA

View Full Version : Hiking PA...

10-K
06-22-2009, 10:36
I'm gearing up to hike PA SOBO this coming weekend, starting at DWG and going to Pen Mar Park.

One thing that always gives me a headache is planning a SOBO hike with a NOBO guidebook.....guess it's just the way my mind works.

So anyway, it looks like there are lots (and lots) of opportunities for resupply through PA, but am I correct in assuming that in the northern part of the state most of the stores are off the trail by 1-5 miles.

The southern half of the state looks to have some towns the trail goes through.

I'm trying to figure out how much food to start with and am leaning towards 3 days worth.

Terraducky
06-22-2009, 11:59
Between the Water Gap and Lehigh Gap there are a few places to resupply: you will have to walk a little over a mile into town to a grocery store south on Rt 512 to Wind Gap... the same for Danielsville. When you get to Palmerton it's at least 2 miles into town or 1 to Slatington. Note: Bowmanstown has a great diner right off Rt 248.

After that, there isn't a whole lot handy till Port Clinton.

fredmugs
06-22-2009, 12:34
I'm pretty sure you can send a re-supply package to the caretaker of the Eckville Shelter.

10-K
06-22-2009, 12:47
Starting at DWG, it looks like Port Clinton and Duncannon are right on the trail and roughly break the trip into thirds so I'll probably use these for resupply/laundry.

emerald
06-22-2009, 12:50
I'm pretty sure you can send a re-supply package to the caretaker of the Eckville Shelter.

Why would anyone send a package there when it could be sent to a post office or business in Port Clinton? There would be far less inconvenience for both parties.

Besides, I don't believe the question involved where one might send a package.

Starting at DWG, it looks like Port Clinton and Duncannon are right on the trail and roughly break the trip into thirds so I'll probably use these for resupply/laundry.

That's what's most convenient and what most do.

DuctTape
06-23-2009, 21:43

The only place to resupply in Port Clinton is a supermarket a few miles south of town.

CrumbSnatcher
06-23-2009, 21:50
Mutzabaugh's supermarket (duncannon)is one of my favorite resupplies in PA.
always felt like i got alot for my money there.

10-K
06-24-2009, 14:11
The only place to resupply in Port Clinton is a supermarket a few miles south of town.

Good to know - I might send off a small package to the Ye Olde Backpacker. Anyone been to this outfitter? Their website says they have a shower and laundry - if so, that'd be just great.

Strategic
06-24-2009, 14:48
Good to know - I might send off a small package to the Ye Olde Backpacker. Anyone been to this outfitter? Their website says they have a shower and laundry - if so, that'd be just great.

I haven't actually been to Ye Olde Backpaqcker itself, but I've used them for shuttling. They're good folks. They can get you to a supermarket for resupply fairly easily from Port Clinton.

Ridge Rat
06-24-2009, 15:29

Never been in there. But, Cabella's down the road (easy hitch) is good for a few good laughs. Unless you really like fishtanks, and dead animals and overpriced food and clothing.

10-K
06-24-2009, 17:26
Never been in there. But, Cabella's down the road (easy hitch) is good for a few good laughs. Unless you really like fishtanks, and dead animals and overpriced food and clothing.

Dunno about the fish tanks and stuffed animals but an overpriced cheeseburger might be ok. Can't cost anymore than SNP - paid $10.35 for cheeseburger, fries and coke there.

Recommend a place to eat in Port Clinton?

emerald
06-24-2009, 17:55
Most hikers patronize Port Clinton Hotel. For breakfast, some walk to 3C's, while others choose Cabela's buffet.

Hikers who want to experience something a bit different and have a way to get there will not be disappointed at Deitsch Eck (http://www.deitscheck.com/) in Lenhartsville.

emerald
06-24-2009, 18:11

Hamburg is across the county line. Redner's Warehouse Markets or King's IGA nearer the town center are your options. Both are walking distance if you have the time, but it wouldn't be hard to get a ride. YOB may provide transportation.

If you want to do laundry while you shop, you could patronize King's IGA. There is or at least was a laundromat a few yards from the entrance. Another hiker could watch laundry and packs while you take care of your own shopping needs.

emerald
06-24-2009, 19:03
Directions to the most commonly used hiker services will be found on a sign right on the AT. For more information, inquire at Ye Olde Backpacker, a logical first stop unless you're in a hurry to get to the post office.

See also Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion linked below. The 2009 data is now available for download.

RadioFreq
06-24-2009, 19:11

Unfortunately getting there on foot is very hazardous. The road going up there from downtown is cut into a hill and there is no shoulder or sidewalk. If you stay at the Doyle they run a shuttle any day upon request at 4pm.

10-K
06-24-2009, 20:56
Directions to the most commonly used hiker services will be found on a sign right on the AT. For more information, inquire at Ye Olde Backpacker, a logical first stop unless you're in a hurry to get the post office.

See also Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion linked below. The 2009 data is now available for download.

No rush to the PO, I'm sending a goody-box directly to Ye Olde Backpacker. Hopefully the info on their website is correct and they have a shower and laundry facilities. And I hope the hotel isn't full.

emerald
06-24-2009, 21:02
No rush to the PO, I'm sending a goody-box directly to Ye Olde Backpacker. Hopefully the info on their website is correct and they have a shower and laundry facilities. And I hope the hotel isn't full.

You may want to call or email 1st before you send your package just to be sure.

Otherwise, sounds like you have a plan. If there's no room at the inn, I expect you could handle the conditions at St. John's pavillion. It may not be the best place to get a good night's sleep, but it shouldn't be much worse than your typical AT shelter, provided everyone respects the posted rules.

10-K
06-24-2009, 21:05
You may want to call or email 1st before you send your package just to be sure.

Called and emailed. :) Good thing too because I had it all boxed up to send via USPS and they asked that I send it UPS or FedEx.

emerald
06-24-2009, 21:40
I don't know if you saw this link before, but click on it. It will do something for your experience.

http://www.portclintonhotel.net/history.htm

10-K
06-24-2009, 21:49
Interesting stuff. How close does the trail get to the hotel? I was thinking the trail went pretty much through the town like Damascus or Hot Springs.

I've got all the PA maps - guess I oughta look where I'm going before I get there.

emerald
06-24-2009, 21:56
Interesting stuff. How close does the trail get to the hotel?

A hop, skip and a few jumps.

I was thinking the trail went pretty much through the town like Damascus or Hot Springs.

Different, but it's a small town.

I've got all the PA maps - guess I oughta look where I'm going before I get there.

Not a bad idea to be informed.

bullseye
06-24-2009, 22:04
Have a great hike! Let us know how it goes.