PDA

View Full Version : Seeking ideas for August section hike

prain4u
06-22-2009, 15:00
I am seeking your suggestions regarding a possible August 2009 section hike.

1. I want to do an AT section hike sometime during the last three weeks of August 2009. I will only be able to be away from home for 10-15 days.

2. I live in Illinois and I will PROBABLY travel to the AT by car. (Thus, the more time that I spend driving will mean less time spent hiking). However, I am not completely ruling out a longer drive to places like Maine.

3. Once I get to the AT, I will need to park my vehicle somewhere "safe" while I hike. I will eventually need to get back to my vehicle (somehow) for my drive back home to Illinois.

4. I will most likely be driving/hiking alone.

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding a good location for such a hike?

Note: Why will I be driving? Air travel from my "remote" area of Illinois can sometimes take almost as much time and money as an automobile drive. Flying from Peoria, IL to Bangor, ME can take 10-12 hours--not counting the travel time from home to airport and from airport to the trail--plus arriving at the airport 1-2 hours prior to flight. (Let's not even mention any possible flight delays). The airfare cost (with fees and taxes) is approximately $520+. Conversely, driving from my house to Baxter State Park requires just under 24 hours of actual driving time and about $125 for fuel (one way).

prain4u
06-22-2009, 15:19
Typographical error: Fuel would cost about $175 one way (not $125).

Tabasco
06-22-2009, 16:21
Drive to Chicago fly United direct to Atlanta, have Josh & Leigh Saint from Hiker Hostel pick you up and deliver you to Springer.

Hike to Fontana or even Newfound Gap

Have Jeff and Nancy Hoch from Hike Inn drive you to Knoxville Airport (McGee Tyson) and fly United direct to Chicago.

I just checked the flight portion of this and it was $ 220 and both legs were direct flights.

Figure $ 50 +/- for each shuttle, plus not having to drive for hours on end.

Blissful
06-22-2009, 20:14
I'd be up north then if you can drive it. Too hot and humid down south to hike. Go Vermont northward.

Cookerhiker
06-22-2009, 22:35
For the time of year, I also suggest hiking in the northern parts. One recommendation: hike north starting in North Adams, MA where you can safely leave your car at the Greylock Community Club a short walk from where the trail crosses MA Rt. 2.

Northbound it's 108 miles to Rt. 4 near Rutland and 154miles to Hanover. Check out the public transportation links here on WB or at the ATC (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805499/k.547C/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm) for buses and shuttle services to return to your car.

prain4u
06-22-2009, 23:41
Many thanks to all who are making suggestions either here or in PMs. It is greatly appreciated. Obviously, I cannot follow the advice being given by each of you--as your plans all vary quite a bit and I have only one short hike that I can take in August. However, I will carefully look at each plan and see which one works best for me this August. You have given me much to think about (and many decisions to make!). Thanks again to all of you who have already suggested ideas--and to all who might still suggest some ideas.

Shutterbug
06-23-2009, 00:30
I am seeking your suggestions regarding a possible August 2009 section hike.

1. I want to do an AT section hike sometime during the last three weeks of August 2009. I will only be able to be away from home for 10-15 days.

2. I live in Illinois and I will PROBABLY travel to the AT by car. (Thus, the more time that I spend driving will mean less time spent hiking). However, I am not completely ruling out a longer drive to places like Maine.

3. Once I get to the AT, I will need to park my vehicle somewhere "safe" while I hike. I will eventually need to get back to my vehicle (somehow) for my drive back home to Illinois.

4. I will most likely be driving/hiking alone.

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding a good location for such a hike?

Note: Why will I be driving? Air travel from my "remote" area of Illinois can sometimes take almost as much time and money as an automobile drive. Flying from Peoria, IL to Bangor, ME can take 10-12 hours--not counting the travel time from home to airport and from airport to the trail--plus arriving at the airport 1-2 hours prior to flight. (Let's not even mention any possible flight delays). The airfare cost (with fees and taxes) is approximately $520+. Conversely, driving from my house to Baxter State Park requires just under 24 hours of actual driving time and about $125 for fuel (one way).

Drive to Maine. You can park your car at the store at Abol Bridge. I believe they have a charge for parking, but your car will be safe there.

Hike south to Monson. Depending on your conditioning, you can make it in six to 10 days. Personally, I plan for 10 mile days in that section. From Monson you can get a shuttle back to Abol.

If you decide to do that hike, I can provide you with a detailed plan for a 10 day hike.