PDA

View Full Version : Pearisburg to Catawba in August--Critique our itinerary and other questions

dperry
06-22-2009, 16:19
Hello, All,

A while back, I posted a poll on which long section of the AT we should do first. The winner ended up being Pearisburg to Catawba, VA, and on further reflection, I think that is about the easiest of the stretches I listed. So we will be doing that. The one problem is, it's going to be in mid-August (8th through 16th). So here's my questions:

1.) First, please critique our itinerary. We're planning to drive down on Saturday the 8th and hopefully stay at the Rendezvous in Pearisburg. The actual hiking would go like this:
Sunday 9th: Rendezvous to Rice Field Shelter (6.8 miles).
Monday 10th: Rice Field to Pine Swamp Branch Shelter (12.5 miles).
Tuesday 11th: Pine Swamp to campsite near the Potts Mountain Trail (9 miles).
Wednesday 12th: PMT to Laurel Creek Shelter (9.5 miles).
Thursday 13th: Laurel Creek to Niday Shelter (12.4 miles).
Friday 14th: Niday to Pickle Branch Shelter (10.1 miles).
Saturday 15th: Pickle Branch to VA 311/Catawba (12.6 miles).

Then drive home Saturday night and Sunday morning. The object is to try to avoid more than one major uphill per day. I am a bit concerned about whether the final day is too rough or not, so I'm open to suggestions on that.
2.) Will it be insufferably hot?
3.) Will it be insufferable buggy?
4.) How hard will it be to find water?
5.) How safe is it to park for a week at VA 311? I seem to remember once upon a time seeing a warning about vandalism there, but I can't find it on either the Rohland or ATC sites, so perhaps I had that confused with something else.

Any other information would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Blissful
06-22-2009, 20:16
Yes it will be hot and buggy and depending on the tropical season this year and the systems, could get rainy too. But go for it.

Cookerhiker
06-22-2009, 22:44
That's a very nice section of trail you're doing. I hiked it SOBO in admittedly perfect weather in April, '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=92490). Even though you may experience hot weather, I doubt it's significantly hotter than what you're used to in PA - at least for the pace you're planning. Except for the last 2 nights, all of your shelters/campsites are over 2,500' so nights should be pleasant.

Kerosene
06-24-2009, 10:34
Sunday 9th: Rendezvous to Rice Field Shelter (6.8 miles)
Watch out for poison ivy for the first mile or two as you enter the woods. This is a pretty good climb, so start out slowly.
Verify your reservation at Rendezvous, they misplaced mine.

Monday 10th: Rice Field to Pine Swamp Branch Shelter (12.5 miles)
I think there are only two springs along this section; one a few miles north of Rice Field, and the other less than a mile south of Pine Swamp Branch, so carry a lot. Fortunately, it's a very pleasant, level walk.

Tuesday 11th: Pine Swamp to campsite near the Potts Mountain Trail (9 miles)
There's a mile-long "rock field" just north of Bailey Gap Shelter which will slow you down.
Don't camp at Wind Rock, as it is frequented by a lot of partying campers. Continue north to a campsite perhaps a mile north of Wind Rock, with a spring on the right.

Wednesday 12th: PMT to Laurel Creek Shelter (9.5 miles)
It's a nice stroll across the valley, then a big climb up to the ridge where you could stay at lovely Sarver Hollow Shelter.

Thursday 13th: Laurel Creek to Niday Shelter (12.4 miles)
Watch out for cowpies in the fields!

Friday 14th: Niday to Pickle Branch Shelter (10.1 miles)
Nice stroll along the ridgeline, with two big climbs.

Saturday 15th: Pickle Branch to VA 311/Catawba (12.6 miles)
This section could get pretty hot, and again, there is limited water.

Cookerhiker
06-24-2009, 11:12
[quote=Kerosene;858990]....
Tuesday 11th: Pine Swamp to campsite near the Potts Mountain Trail (9 miles)
There a mile-long "rock field" just north of Bailey Gap Shelter which will slow you down....[quote]

Amen - said rockfield slowed me down considerably and I thought it was more than a mile.

Kerosene
06-24-2009, 14:04
[quote=Cookerhiker;859007I thought it was more than a mile.[/quote]You may be correct. I had been strolling along at over 3 mph when I hit the rock field. I thought it would be fairly short and I could just "power" through it, but it went on for quite awhile.

dperry
06-28-2009, 22:44
bump bump bump

GrubbyJohn
06-29-2009, 06:58
did that section last year. great trtip for me being a newbe.yea the rock patch is a mother. but it was a great week or plan was like yours. oh yea watch for a false trail just across the bridge by the store. hiked 3 hours around the ridge only to come out 5 feet from where we started.

fredmugs
06-29-2009, 08:17
Don't count on the nights being pleasant. I hiked in that area in Oct 2 years ago when there was a drought and the nights were about as bad as the days. Before I started that hike I had to rescue two hikers who came off The Priest who were so dehydrated and disoriented that they were 5 miles off the AT when they made it down to the road. Stay hydrated and fed.