PDA

View Full Version : PCT guide book for 2010

Time Traveler
06-22-2009, 16:45
Now I'm planning a thru hike for next year and wanted to buy the guidbook. I see their were 2000 and 2005 books... do they revise them every five years or am I missing something?

Nean
06-22-2009, 16:53
Now I'm planning a thru hike for next year and wanted to buy the guidbook. I see their were 2000 and 2005 books... do they revise them every five years or am I missing something?
I don't think there is a timeline. Call and ask the publisher or PCTA if you don't get an answer here.

trippclark
06-22-2009, 16:55
Is this what you are looking for? It appears that it was published in 2008 and has 2009 updates for free download.

http://www.pcthandbook.com/

Jester2000
06-22-2009, 17:06
The last time I believe the official guidebooks (there are three) were updated was 2003, and there were some errors that may not have been corrected, but they're surprisingly accurate considering (they don't do as many relos on the PCT as the AT, apparently).

There was a new version of Yogi's guidebook out last year, and I highly recomment getting it.

The USDA Forest Service maps that are available (the set is not yet complete) are very good, as are the Harrison maps for the Sierra.

TwoForty
06-23-2009, 19:31
I've noticed that the Wilderness Press guidebooks were on sale at REI. I do wonder if they are about to get replaced with a new version.

Pacific Tortuga
06-23-2009, 21:14
Don't forget to get Yogi's handbook. Check out her web page and shoot Jackie off an e-mail for ALL the low down.

Time Traveler
06-23-2009, 21:53
Yogi's handbook looks great. But I was looking for mile by mile information on water sources and intersections and such, like in the thru-hikers handbook.

Jester2000
06-23-2009, 22:14
I've noticed that the Wilderness Press guidebooks were on sale at REI. I do wonder if they are about to get replaced with a new version.

Wilderness Press says they are not planning on putting out new editions for at least another year. They're redoing the maps, which is a good idea.

Yogi's handbook looks great. But I was looking for mile by mile information on water sources and intersections and such, like in the thru-hikers handbook.

You're probably going to want the data book for that.

RedneckRye
06-23-2009, 22:34

And the water report. Download that one right before you start.