PDA

View Full Version : Ski poles v. trekking poles? Flask handles?

ShelterLeopard
06-22-2009, 20:13
What is the point of trekking poles (instead of just poles)? I would like to have poles for my NoBo, and I already have ski poles, and don't really want to spend money on trekking poles... So why do people get trekking poles over ski poles? Aside from the weight factor, and being able to adjust the height. And I know one girl who had trekking poles with flasks in the handles (4 ounces, or something)- has anyone heard of anything like that?

Blissful
06-22-2009, 20:17
I prefer the adjustability of trekking poles, as I need them shorter going uphill then downhill.

flemdawg1
06-22-2009, 22:44
If you like ski poles, go for it!

garlic08
06-22-2009, 22:50
Some use poles as shelter supports, so the adjustability is nice for that, too. It's slightly easier to travel with collapsed poles. And the wrist straps on trekking poles are made for taking some strain while hiking, while those on downhill ski poles are not. But all of these are not a huge deal and ski poles can work just fine. Can't beat the price.

cupid
06-22-2009, 23:07
my vote goes to ski poles. bought some used ones for cheap for literally 5 bucks at a local rental store. they do great for me. its all personal choice.

Disney
06-23-2009, 02:01
I used ski poles, and continue to do so. The only annoyance I have is that the material used in the pole handles tends to get a bit nasty under bare skin. That being said, it's not enough to spend 100 dollars to avoid.

Mags
06-23-2009, 02:28
I have used ski poles for all my long hikes since 1999 FWIW.

My current set was found near a ski shop dumpster. :)