PDA

View Full Version : Parking At Winding Stair Gap

NCYankee
06-23-2009, 07:52
How is the parking at Winding Stair Gap? I know there is the Budget Inn in Franklin but is the parking at Winding Stair Gap similar to Dick's Creek in GA? How safe is it?

Thanks!

Tennessee Viking
06-23-2009, 08:31
The parking at Winding Stair Gap is a truck pull off. I am not sure of the reputation of it.

But you can also park at Standing Indian Campground and Deep Gap. Then of course Ron.

papa john
06-23-2009, 09:24
It's more like Unicoi Gap than Dick's Creek. Lot's of space and a great water source, but I don't know that I would leave a vehicle there. Way to exposed for my liking. YMMV.

max patch
06-23-2009, 09:25
Its a known spot for vandalism. Don't park there.

daddytwosticks
06-23-2009, 16:25
I've parked there 5 or 6 times over the past 4 years on various section hikes/overnighters...no problems. :)

solobip
06-23-2009, 17:06
I have also parked there many many times with no trouble. But I have heard of vandals in the area. There is also a camp site along the back road behind Silar's bald where I used to hide the boy scout van. Depends are where you are going to/from.

jeremiah j
06-24-2009, 12:39
parked there last week for 4 nites. no problem

Chaco Taco
06-24-2009, 16:16
Parked there a few times and its no problem.

MomNtheWoods
06-25-2009, 22:39
no problem here. Parked there last summer for a short overnight. It's right off a major 4-lane. What could be better...?

Summit
06-26-2009, 06:47
It's right off a major 4-lane. What could be better...?Therein lies the blessing and the curse. Easy to get to, but high traffic ups the odds of someone with devious motives coming along. Leave nothing of value viewable and then it's a chance game of will someone mess with your car for no apparent reason or gain? Greater exposure (high traffic) ups that risk. Insurance companies are in the "risk" business!

birdygal
01-20-2012, 16:30
So where is the best place to park if your getting off the trail at winding stair gap, Franklin is like 10 miles away isn't it

JustADude
10-22-2012, 12:26
Its a known spot for vandalism. Don't park there.

Is still true for this area? 2009 was 3 yrs ago...just wanted to check to see if there has been any recent vandalism at Winding Stair Gap.

Thanks!

chiefiepoo
10-22-2012, 13:52
Been using it a few times these last 2 years. No problem with my 3 / 4 night stay. Locals are friendly and hitching from WSG to town is not usually a problem in daylight hours.

barf_jay
10-22-2012, 14:19
I parked there back in July for 5 nights with no issues. Of course follow normal protocol, leave all stuff in trunk out of site!

daddytwosticks
10-22-2012, 16:20
I originally commented back in '09 and have yet to have a problem since then. However, you never know when some low life will strike. :)

max patch
10-22-2012, 17:51
FWIW, this is what the Nantahala Hiking Club (the trail maintaining club for that area) has to say on their website:

4) Winding Stair Gap -- This is where the AT crosses US64 at the top of the big hill coming out of Franklin (9.8 miles from overpass) just past large rock cut. It is an easy place to access the Trail, with parking lot, etc. It is NOT a good place to leave a vehicle overnight! There has been vandalism to cars left here overnight.

SassyWindsor
10-22-2012, 20:15
Use Rock Gap parking, just before entering Standing Indian USFS campground, and just before Winding Stair. Not sure of the distance but I'd guess about 3 miles from Rock Gap and Winding Stair.

peakbagger
10-23-2012, 07:19
Ditto on rock gap, Winding stair was full of trash and broken bottles when I parked there several years ago. Easy place for a smash and grab. The hike over to Rock Gap is easy.

Train Wreck
10-23-2012, 08:05
We visit this area a lot and drive through the gap both coming and going. There are always cars parked there, both day and overnight. I always like to stop and fill up a water bottle from the excellent piped spring located there :). I have never noticed any vandalized cars.

I've got the impression that once even one negative event occurs in an area, the clubs post vandalism warnings and keep posting long after the fact. Which is the entirely correct thing to do. Regardless, every time you park at a trail head, no matter where, and no matter if there is a previous record of trouble or not, you are leaving your car open to the possibility of vandalism. just have to decide the risk factor for yourself. A place could have a spotless record, but all it takes is one low-life to change all that, as someone else pointed out.

Take proper precautions to hide any valuables from sight, or drive an ugly beater car that doesn't shout "I have stuff inside!", etc., and then go on and enjoy your hike.

RED-DOG
10-23-2012, 08:24
Winding Stair Gap is an alright place to park but, Rock Gap is a lot safer and its only about 2 trail miles from Winding Stair Gap, but its a little bite harder to find.

Train Wreck
10-23-2012, 08:32
Winding Stair Gap is an alright place to park but, Rock Gap is a lot safer and its only about 2 trail miles from Winding Stair Gap, but its a little bite harder to find.

The big old poplar on the side trail at Rock Gap finally died :(

RED-DOG
10-23-2012, 08:46
Yes it did i am sad to say.

peakbagger
10-23-2012, 09:55
Is it on the ground?

Train Wreck
10-23-2012, 10:02
Is it on the ground?

No, the last time I was there, it was a big, dead broken snag. The trunk is still very impressive, but it's sad if you remember it seeing it alive. I first saw it in the early 90's when it was still alive, but starting to fail.

peakbagger
10-23-2012, 11:39
Thanks I was curious. I was there in 2002 and it definitely was dead but not really shedding many branches. Impressive nevertheless