PDA

View Full Version : how many, how often thruhikers do non-thru hikes?

hikingjer
06-23-2009, 13:21
Over the years, I've read about Earl Shaffer's, Grandma Gatewood's, Ed Garvey's and others' classic thruhikes of the AT. There doesn't seem to be any of mention Earl Shaffer's non-AT, non-thruhikes from the 1960s to the 1998 thruhike in anything I've read. That's a lot of years in between the long hikes. Did he do any hiking from the 1970s to 1998? Did he do dayhikes or weekend backpack trips? If not, that seems odd that someone could take so much time off between big hikes.

It seems to me that a fair amount of thruhikers don't do alot of dayhikes or weekend backpack trips besides the big one. This makes sense. They probably get their fill of the trail on a thruhike and/or they're working and saving up money. And/or dayhikes and weekend backpacking trips are so inconsequential compared to a thruhike, they're not worthy of mention. Is this true?

Cannibal
06-23-2009, 13:27
It seems to me that a fair amount of thruhikers don't do alot of dayhikes or weekend backpack trips besides the big one. This makes sense. They probably get their fill of the trail on a thruhike and/or they're working and saving up money. And/or dayhikes and weekend backpacking trips are so inconsequential compared to a thruhike, they're not worthy of mention. Is this true?
Can't speak for anyone else, but the idea of a thru-hike giving me my 'fill of the trail' couldn't be farther from the truth. All I wanted to do when I left the AT was go hike! Hated being at home or the office; the woods was the only place that felt 'right'.

Day hikes and weekend trips certainly seem inconsequential to me now. I really enjoy 'living' in the woods for prolonged periods. I still do them by using 'gear testing' as an excuse and I've decided to do at least one long hike every year. This year is the Colorado Trail. I can't get it out of my system, nor do I want to. :D

warraghiyagey
06-23-2009, 13:33
Where is the Colorado Trail??

Cannibal
06-23-2009, 13:36
New Hampshire

warraghiyagey
06-23-2009, 13:37
New Hampshire
Sweet. . . maybe I'll hike some of it later this summer. . . . thanks Cannibal! . . . :):)

Cannibal
06-23-2009, 13:39
Be sure to bring your tent stakes. ;):D

warraghiyagey
06-23-2009, 13:53
Be sure to bring your tent stakes. ;):D
Oh.... good tip. . . .thanks.. . ;):p

Tin Man
06-23-2009, 14:15

New Hampshire

where in nh is colorado? i want to hike some of that this summer

CowHead
06-23-2009, 14:25

Left of Pittsburgh PA

Ox97GaMe
06-23-2009, 14:32
The CT is a little known side spur in the whites. you have to look REALLY good for it. I think there are only a handful of locals that know where the actual trail is. ;)

Happy Hiking........... Colorado Trail D-D '00