PDA

View Full Version : AP Trail though CT

lanretsr
06-23-2009, 14:22
My friend and I are planning to hike the trail though Ct. I've read that its about 50 miles long or so. I'm sure people here have done it? What should I expect? How long should I give myself to complete it? 3 days? Thanks for any help

Manwich
06-23-2009, 14:33
"What should I expect" raises a red flag. I'm assuming you're something of a noob to backpacking and as such, i'll shoot down the 50 miles in 3-days idea.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50914

This guy came out swingin with the same exact pitch.

Nean
06-23-2009, 14:58
"What should I expect" raises a red flag. I'm assuming you're something of a noob to backpacking and as such, i'll shoot down the 50 miles in 3-days idea.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50914

This guy came out swingin with the same exact pitch.

Dude, totem, red flag? :-? My first reaction from seeing several of your post today is: this guy must be a noob---- to humanity!:D I checked your age- bingo!:banana Then I saw you were from Jersey- and it all made sense!;):)

adamkrz
06-23-2009, 15:44
Yeah it depends how much hiking/backpacking you've done - but I would say 4 days. Plenty of up's and downs but not as hard as many other states.

Plenty of water this time of year, Bring a tent.

Trail towns are from south to north - Kent, Cornwall Bridge, Falls Village, Salisbury.

Shoot me a PM and I can give you a map for CT, I"m next door in New Britain. Adam.

Tin Man
06-23-2009, 16:02
For me, the big bummer in CT is no campfires on the AT... between that and the fact that i am close, i only do day hikes in CT. MA, on the other hand, is very nice for hiking, camping and fires.

lanretsr
06-23-2009, 16:59
Yea, this is pretty new to me. I've only done day hikes in the area and mt washington. I was looking at a map the the trail though and it seems like its almost cutting though peoples backyards. I've seen section on the street and in what looks to be some farmers fields? Ive read some things but just wanted to know what the trails are like

1azarus
06-23-2009, 17:44
you live in CT -- so I think its a great place to start! My first AT hiking was in CT also, and I very much remember being overwhelmed... surprised...amazed... with how beautiful that part of our state is. Sure you see settled towns from the ridges, but they are really pretty, as are the hills. I say go for it... and second the advice to keep the daily mileage around 10 or 12 for this first "serious" trip. no doubt you'll love hiking your neighboring states, soon, too!

Nean
06-23-2009, 17:59
Hopefully your packs are under 40 lbs (or 30 or 20 etc. :D) and you are early risers. Much easier to walk in the morn before the heat and have plenty of time to reach your destination. Ct is Beautiful! ENJOY!:)

warraghiyagey
06-23-2009, 18:08
I didn't even know the Associated Press had their own trail. . . .

Tin Man
06-23-2009, 21:38
I didn't even know the Associated Press had their own trail. . . .

they don't, it is the Appalachian Pagans trail, get it right ms. warrghy.

Blissful
06-23-2009, 23:04
There are some good climbs and a nasty descent in CT going NOBO. I'd definitely give it at least three days, maybe more. Enjoy.

1azarus
06-24-2009, 06:36
There are some good climbs and a nasty descent in CT going NOBO. I'd definitely give it at least three days, maybe more. Enjoy.
...by nasty, i think she means dramatic, challenging... awe inspiring, even. (oh, and not very long...)

enough to make you feel proud of being on such an exciting adventure. and by the time you reach that descent, you'll be hiking legends, so not to worry. Ditto: enjoy!

buff_jeff
06-24-2009, 09:08
CT was surprisingly beautiful. The river walks were phenomenal. You'll cross roads close to a few towns and you shouldn't be too far from potential help so it's a great place to start.

buff_jeff
06-24-2009, 09:09

Descending St. John's Ledges?

I had to do that in the rain. The rocks were totally soaked; thought I was going to face plant. :D

RITBlake
06-24-2009, 09:35
CT was surprisingly beautiful.

Surprising? It's Connecticut dude what did you expect, a desert?

elangomat
06-24-2009, 11:39
If memory serves me orrectly there was one section, near Schagticoke that had a sharp drop off on the side of the trail. With the amount of rain we had this month it could be slippery. Other than that, Connecticut is a good place to start.

LIhikers
06-24-2009, 22:36
While the trail in CT isn't very long, it is very diverse. You'll get a few hills, a couple level walks along a river, some road walking, some rocky cliffs. All in all it's very nice and will make a good first section to hike.

Tinker
06-24-2009, 22:41
Descending St. John's Ledges?

I had to do that in the rain. The rocks were totally soaked; thought I was going to face plant. :D

There are a couple of very dicy places on the Ledges. For a new hiker I'd give Ct. 4 days (unless you're in better than average shape, know how to pack and get up relatively early). At Sages Ravine you'll have to take the Undermountain Trail back to Rte. 41 or you'll be hiking into Mass.

Tankerhoosen
06-24-2009, 22:43
My friend and I are planning to hike the trail though Ct. I've read that its about 50 miles long or so. I'm sure people here have done it? What should I expect? How long should I give myself to complete it? 3 days? Thanks for any help

Hey if you are looking for more people to hike with let me know, I live near Hartford. Good luck!

wystiria
06-25-2009, 15:41
having hiked CT 6 or more times and recently with my DH I would say go for it!! if you can take 4 days that would make it physically easier but it can be done in 3.

My favorite sections are the ledges, and then Bear Mountain and sages ravine.

May I suggest finishing or starting in MA, NOBO, going over race mnt and everet and ending at Jug end road. it doesn't add too much mileage and it is a GORGEOUS section!!

1azarus
06-25-2009, 16:13
well, just look at all us happy CT hikers!!!

Tin Man
06-25-2009, 21:48
the CT section of the AT is short and it sure is sweet...