PDA

View Full Version : Seam Sealing

Speakeasy
06-23-2009, 19:46
Hi - Quick question. What would be the best product to seal my REI Quarterdome? I was thinking of using Silnet but I didn't know if there is something more effective. I'm sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times...

Speakeasy

Survivor Dave
06-23-2009, 20:00
Hi - Quick question. What would be the best product to seal my REI Quarterdome? I was thinking of using Silnet but I didn't know if there is something more effective. I'm sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times...

Speakeasy

Sil-net is a very good product for Sil-nylon tents. I've not used anything else.

Some folks don't like the thickness and thin it out with a little white gas. Full viscosity(sp) for me.:)

After it is fully dry, I dab a 2" paintbrush LIGHTLY with baby powder and dust the seam to get rid of the tackiness.

Slosteppin
06-23-2009, 22:33

Speakeasy

Isthe Quarter Dome made of silnylon? I don't think it is. Silnet should only be used on silnylon. I think there is cheaper stuff for urethane coated nylon.

stranger
06-23-2009, 22:57
Silnet for silnylon, Seam Grip for everything else...

Silnet is just silicone caulk, but has a smoother consistency, and nothing I've used works better than my finger when it comes to applying Silnet

wornoutboots
07-01-2009, 17:45
does a can of camp dry work for this?

flemdawg1
07-01-2009, 17:49
does a can of camp dry work for this?

That stuff is for renewing the urethane coating on flys, rainwear, etc, not for seams.