PDA

View Full Version : Smokies Thru hike

mts4602
06-24-2009, 01:45
Anybody interested in hiking the the AT through the Smokies for a week? I was looking to go sometime soon and I'd rather not go alone.

tucker0104
06-24-2009, 08:35
I would be iterested. Just give me like two weeks notice

emilybarrington
06-24-2009, 22:33
i might be interested as well. what time frame? it will be HOT HOT HOT

Tinker
06-24-2009, 23:44
Technically, a thruhike involves the whole AT or other trail. You are simply hiking through the Smokies. I'd like to do it sometime, but not this year.

Ox97GaMe
06-25-2009, 11:38
I would be interested. Let me know the dates.

fredmugs
06-25-2009, 22:12
I want to do this hike SOBO. If you get a plan together that works for me I would be willing to meet you at Standing Bear and you can leave your car at SB, drive my car to Fontana Dam, and then hike back to your vehicle at SB. I would want to complete this in 3.5 days and I know most people don't want to go that far each day.

mts4602
06-25-2009, 23:55
I was looking to go in about 2 or 3 weeks from now. I am just concerned about getting shelter reservations since right now I'm sure is a very popular time in the park. It could take calling 30 days in advance.

Also I'm thinking that at least for myself, I would probably take 6 or 7 seven days to hike the 70 miles. I suppose 6 days would work but I feel like 5 is stretching it for me....I duno.

If somebody doesn't want to do the whole park, we could do half...I don't really mind.

What do you guys think?

mts4602
06-26-2009, 00:22
I forgot to add that the only day I cannot go right now is on Thursdays.

ShelterLeopard
07-03-2009, 14:49
I was looking to go in about 2 or 3 weeks from now. I am just concerned about getting shelter reservations since right now I'm sure is a very popular time in the park. It could take calling 30 days in advance.

Also I'm thinking that at least for myself, I would probably take 6 or 7 seven days to hike the 70 miles. I suppose 6 days would work but I feel like 5 is stretching it for me....I duno.

If somebody doesn't want to do the whole park, we could do half...I don't really mind.

What do you guys think?

Shelter reservations- since when do you reserve spots in shelters??? Wait, forgot that section hikers have to make reservations there (thru hikers don't have to) - since four spots in each shelter are reserved for thru hikers, you probably will have a hard time getting spots- it would be easier if you went in September I bet.

Rockhound
07-03-2009, 15:42
Shelter reservations- since when do you reserve spots in shelters??? Wait, forgot that section hikers have to make reservations there (thru hikers don't have to) - since four spots in each shelter are reserved for thru hikers, you probably will have a hard time getting spots- it would be easier if you went in September I bet.
as mentioned earlier just hiking the Smokies is not a thru hike and seeing as how the plan is to just hike the Smokies you would be required to stay in shelters and make reservations for said shelters or be prepared to pay a hefty fine.

Rockhound
07-03-2009, 15:44
Also about half a dozen hikers got sick coming out of the smokies this year. I suspect there may be some contaminated water sources.

ShelterLeopard
07-03-2009, 16:03
as mentioned earlier just hiking the Smokies is not a thru hike and seeing as how the plan is to just hike the Smokies you would be required to stay in shelters and make reservations for said shelters or be prepared to pay a hefty fine.

That's what I meant- I just had forgotton than non-thru hikers need to reserve spots.

Plodderman
07-13-2009, 16:02
mts4602 Did you do the hike through the Smokies?

rootball
07-14-2009, 09:35
If you start 50 miles before the smokies you do not need reservations. That could be hard to disprove. What do you think about them apples?

ShelterLeopard
07-14-2009, 13:09
There are a couple "frauds" you can see from a distance. You know the type, want to kick back in the shelter for free after one day hiking in, then hike back out. And you could always ask what shelter someone stayed at a coupled days ago, and if they can't answer...

tucker0104
07-16-2009, 11:08
Sounds like I will be filtering my water

Rain Man
07-16-2009, 14:32
i might be interested as well. what time frame? it will be HOT HOT HOT

It also can be quite chilly at that elevation, even in August. :cool:

Rain:sunMan

Ox97GaMe
07-16-2009, 23:08
Actually, right now the temps in the Smokies are rather mild. Rain is the issue of the summer up there. Temps have only gotten into the upper 80s a couple times so far this summer. But we are getting a TON of rain/thunderstorms, almost daily.

I was up on the ridgeline today. Temps were in the upper 70s up there, but it was MUGGY. There has been almost 6 inches of rain so far this week up there, and it is forecast for more rain tonight and tomorow. It has been like that since early May. Not may hot/sunny days up there right now. It has been a very unusual summer so far.

tucker0104
07-18-2009, 22:10
Sweet. I am hiking all next week.

Rebel
08-13-2009, 08:23
I plan on section hiking the AT and looking at the Smokies. I will be doing a section in August, September, and October. As of this time I will be going from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap the starting Sunday August 16.

lostequis
08-15-2009, 12:43
I'm Hiking Monday the 17th to Friday the 21st starting at Fontana Dam and ending... where ever i am after five days. Just trying to get one more good trip in before school starts back up. If your interested send me a message. i always appreciate company and having two cars makes life easier. Oh, i am a little confused about the big deal about the shelters up there. Yes they do fill up, but there is plenty of ground around them to sleep on.

Bearpaw
08-15-2009, 13:46
If you are staying at a shelter in the Smokies, you are required to stay at a shelter UNLESS the shelter is full. Since reservations are required for shelters in the Smokies, the only way you can get away with tenting or otherwise sleeping outside the shelter is if you are on a thru-hiker's permit. The park only holds spots for thru-hikers from April 1 to June 30, BTW. You can still hike on a "thru-hiker" permit (if you 're starting at least 50 miles from the park and going at least 50 miles beyond), but all 12 or 14 spots in a shelter are open for "regular" hikers for reservations.

Last year, I was very surprised by the number of ridgerunners and even rangers I saw on the AT. More than I had seen in the previous 20 years put together. They were checking permits. If you didn't have the right info, they would give you the chance to try a cell phone call to make reservations and if you couldn't get through or the shelter was full, they told you to move on or face a fine. Fortunately everyone I saw was OK.

The Smokies offer some neat hiking and views, but they are a PAIN for flexibility and availability.

Chaco Taco
08-15-2009, 16:52
ALso spoke with the ATC this week and there are shelters that are closed because of bear activity, Russel Field I know is one of them. The temps above 4000 feet have been great, cool nights.

One of the things about hikers getting sick you want to consider also is that thruhikers are disgusting. Some never clean any of their stuff and it gets contaminated. Happened to a few in the Smokies last year. Just make sure you clean you water bottles and stuff like that. Could be one reason why so many are getting sick.

Lyle
08-15-2009, 18:13
I just made my reservations today for the Smokies - starting Sept 10th . I had to alter my planned schedule (actually added a day for the hike) due to full shelters. Several of them, I got the last spot. It's a pain in the a$$ to do it legal, so you best decide and get your reservations ASAP. If you're out there between the 10th and the 17th, maybe I'll see you. I'll be starting at Fontana and heading on to Erwin this trip.

Lyle
08-15-2009, 18:15
Oh, i am a little confused about the big deal about the shelters up there. Yes they do fill up, but there is plenty of ground around them to sleep on.

Pretty steep fines if you get caught "tenting" as a section hiker.

You'd almost think it was NH! :D

lostequis
08-15-2009, 20:13
last summer i did the same trip and the occasions i met a ridge runner then ever asked to see a permit, although they did say that tenting was forbidden if the shelter was not full. Thank you for letting me know. I am guessing i will not be able to acquire a permit in such short notice, and i think i will plan for another trail. thank you again

Doughnut
08-16-2009, 07:18
I just got back last night from hiking the smokys. Twice we had full shelters, (Mount Collins near Clingman's Dome and Cosby Knob near Davenport Gap) I doubt anyone really had a reservation schedule that they stuck to. I know I was about 6 miles off, in that the shelter I was susposed to be at was 6 miles further down the trail.
If anyone had asked or complained, etc, I would have either tented or continued on, but I honestly doubt anyone that I met or stayed with was really on their schedule, and that happens.

I met one ridge runner (Susan) very nice last, she asked about my permit but did not ask to see it.

I guess my point is: Plan it , Hike it, enjoy it, don't fret it or stress out..

BTW, (wihtout checking the web site) the only shelter I saw closed was RusselField, and I doubt you's stay there anyway, Place smells like a urinal and is disgusting!

DoughNut

LJMoloney
08-24-2009, 22:58
I plan on starting at Dicks Creek Gap on 10/4/09 and hiking to the intersection of interstate 40 and the AT ending on 10/20/09 the pace is about 10 miles a day. I hiked from Springer to Neels Gap last Cctober and did from Neels Gap to Dicks Creek Gap this May. I already have my airplane ticket purchased for this adventure I will go solo if need be but a hiking partner might be a good thing leave a message here if your serious I'll email

aquaman1208
08-25-2009, 11:14
I'm interested in that hike from Dick's gap in October. 10 miles a day is perfect. I would probably drive down from the Buffalo area.:sun

dagger
09-03-2009, 08:21
Technically, a thruhike involves the whole AT or other trail. You are simply hiking through the Smokies. I'd like to do it sometime, but not this year.

What a Smart @$$!!!

It's people like you that make hiking miserable.

George
09-03-2009, 08:46
if he's always on the puter than he can only make cyber-hiking miserable

lazy river road
09-03-2009, 08:53
im still learning so i hope this is not an obvious answer...why do you have to reserve shelter spots for section hikeing in the smokies. Cant you just camp 200ft or yds I forgot which one off the trial....how do you know if you are section hikeing if you could just set up a tent in the woods or if you have to sleep in the shelter....i know this topic does not pertain to OP ? so sorry to hijack but seems like it was a good place to ask this question....im still learning thanks

lazy river road
09-03-2009, 08:55
another noob question what is a ridge runner?

Lyle
09-03-2009, 10:01
SMNP does not allow dispersed camping. From the website:

The park requires that you stay at designated campsites and shelters while camping in the backcountry.

Advance reservations are required to camp at the following sites:
• All shelters
• Backcountry Campsites 9, 10, 13, 23, 24, 29, 36, 37, 38, 47, 50, 55, 57, 61, 71, 83, 113

You must reserve your space for any shelter and the all the campsites along the AT.

They do make an exception of sorts for Through Hikers (defined by the park as starting 50 miles or more outside the park and ending 50 miles or more outside the park). If you qualify as a through hiker, you still need to register upon entering the park, but if the shelter you register for is full when you get there (at it's capacity) you may tent in the immediate area. A through hiker MUST give up his/her spot in a shelter to a section hiker who has a reservation for that spot.

It sounds pretty complicated to do everything "legal", but as most folks will point out, apparently it is something you plan, but then use common sense in executing and you should be fine. I don't believe the Park is out to get anyone, they are just attempting to put some control on how overused this very popular park is.

Ridge Runners are ATC/NPS employees/volunteers who patrol heavily used areas. Their goal is to offer assistance, educate hikers, and be the eyes and ears for these organizations. They do not have any enforcement powers, but do have communications with those who do. Treat them with respect and friendship - they are there to benifit all of us.

David@whiteblaze
09-03-2009, 13:35
ALso spoke with the ATC this week and there are shelters that are closed because of bear activity, Russel Field I know is one of them. The temps above 4000 feet have been great, cool nights.

One of the things about hikers getting sick you want to consider also is that thruhikers are disgusting. Some never clean any of their stuff and it gets contaminated. Happened to a few in the Smokies last year. Just make sure you clean you water bottles and stuff like that. Could be one reason why so many are getting sick.Did u just dis thru-hikers? i think he did... they are smelly, but nonetheless, they are (almost) all still productive members of society pre- and post-thru-hike.

Blissful
09-03-2009, 15:20
Did u just dis thru-hikers? i think he did... they are smelly, but nonetheless, they are (almost) all still productive members of society pre- and post-thru-hike.

He was talking about hikers not keeping things like their water bottles clean, thus getting sick like with stomach problems, etc.

dagger
09-04-2009, 09:36
if he's always on the puter than he can only make cyber-hiking miserable

Well put George.