PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a 3-4 night hike on the AT

Chowder
06-24-2009, 10:05
Hi all. I'm starting to prep for a 2010 NOBO thru-hike, and one of the issues I'm looking to address is the intimidation factor of the trail. I haven't seen it talked about too much recently, but a 5-6 month hike can be quite intimidating (not that I'm going to let that stop me, of course), especially if you've never been on the AT before.

One of the things I'd like to do this summer is get out to the AT over a long weekend and hike a few days. I'm coming from cleveland, so I'm thinking about driving to a section between Linden, VA and Harrisburg, PA (just under 6 hours to either place). I'd appreciate any suggestions for good sections starting anywhere in or close to those areas.:confused: Idealy, the starting point would have somewhere safe for me to leave my car for 4-5 days and the end point would have reasonable access for me to get back to my car (taxi, bus, shuttle, friendly people, etc). If it helps, I'd probably get out there between mid august to mid september.

Thanks a bunch. :D

Strategic
06-24-2009, 11:05
You're on the right track, coming from Cleveland, in thinking that the southern PA/Maryland sections are best for what you're planning. I'd suggest Duncannon as your end point near Harrisburg; it's one of the incredibly hiker-friendly trail towns in PA and it has our very own TrailAngelMary (look her up here on Whiteblaze) who is the queen of shuttling. Basically, if Mary can't get you back where you need to go, then no one can.

Your start point is a bit harder to pin down, since it all depends on how fast you hike. If you're looking for something in the 60-70 mile range, then start in Caledonia State Park on US30, a few miles north of the PA state line (about 65 miles to Duncannon.) That's a good spot, since you can park in one of Caledonia's lots, which are patrolled by the rangers. Just make sure to register your car with them so they know why it's there for several days. That would also let you spend your first night on the trail (assuming you arrive late afternoon) at Quarry Gap shelter, probably the finest on the whole AT. It's also beautiful hiking.

If you're looking for something longer, try starting at Pen-Mar Park on the Maryland/PA border (a shade over 82 miles to Duncannon) or at Washington Monument State Park in Maryland (about 103 to Duncannon.) That gives you quite a range, though you'd need to average over 20 miles a day to do the longest one. Many thru-hikers can do exactly that by the time they hit PA, but it can be hard to just jump on trail at that pace unless you're already trained up to it.

All three of these suggestions cover some fine trail while not getting you into the worst of the PA rocks (those are north of Duncannon.) Any would be good shake-down hikes for you. One word of caution, though; you'll need to be much more careful of water than you might imagine. Mid-August to mid-September is generally the driest time on the trail here, with ridgetop springs running dry in many places. That's less of a problem in southern PA, but still something to keep in mind.

Hope all this helps. Good luck and good hiking.

Blissful
06-24-2009, 11:54
You could leave your car at the Harpers Ferry NP parking lot and hike north.

On the intimidation factor, if I can do it, you can do it. And you're a heck of a lot younger too!

Chaco Taco
06-24-2009, 16:03
Hi all. I'm starting to prep for a 2010 NOBO thru-hike, and one of the issues I'm looking to address is the intimidation factor of the trail. I haven't seen it talked about too much recently, but a 5-6 month hike can be quite intimidating (not that I'm going to let that stop me, of course), especially if you've never been on the AT before.

One of the things I'd like to do this summer is get out to the AT over a long weekend and hike a few days. I'm coming from cleveland, so I'm thinking about driving to a section between Linden, VA and Harrisburg, PA (just under 6 hours to either place). I'd appreciate any suggestions for good sections starting anywhere in or close to those areas.:confused: Idealy, the starting point would have somewhere safe for me to leave my car for 4-5 days and the end point would have reasonable access for me to get back to my car (taxi, bus, shuttle, friendly people, etc). If it helps, I'd probably get out there between mid august to mid september.

Thanks a bunch. :D

Aint nothing much to be intimidated by when it comes to the trail. So you have some hills to walk up, no worries. Just have fun!

-SEEKER-
06-24-2009, 16:28
I might argue that this year is a good one to experience some intimidation. Out of the 59 days I just finished hiking only 12 of them passed without any rain in a 24 hour period. Thunderstorms with lightning, blowing rain and small hail were no strangers to the trail. In some places the trail was replaced by small streams or mud pits which threatened to suck your boots right off of your feet. I was definitely intimidated (and aggravated by) the ponies taking over the trail and Thomas Knob Shelter in the Grayson Highlands area. Also by the tourists, boy scouts, hoods in the woods etc. which made passing through the Grayson Highlands like being in the middle of (take your choice) a Grateful Dead or Jimmy Buffet Concert. Don't get me wrong, I have no regrets and love the trail, but there is intimidation to be found. There is also that issue, in some cases of fear of heights or snakes or... Go out there and experience all it has to offer and enjoy it! It will make you a stronger, better person.

Chowder
06-24-2009, 19:25
Thanks a lot for the encouragement everyone. Also, I appreciate the detailed explanation, Strategic.

Blissful
06-24-2009, 19:55
Yeah it's true this year has been a rainy year for the hikers. But I saw many at our hiker picnic a lot older than their twenties hanging in there. And I personally know a lady from my area (moonwalker) who is 50 and still going strong.

The AT is mental all the way.