PDA

View Full Version : What do you sleep in in the summer.

jrnj5k
06-24-2009, 17:28
Now that its warmer out and the temps stay above 50 degrees at night what do you guys bring for a bag. Is just a liner sufficient? I feel like a 50 degree bag is overkill.

10-K
06-24-2009, 17:42
I'm interested in this as well.... I'm leaving to hike the AT through PA Saturday and the lows are going to be in the upper 50's/lower 60's and I was thinking about just taking my liner and leaving the bag at home.

JokerJersey
06-24-2009, 17:54
I sat down thinking about this as well, being that I have a 20 degree Big Agnes sleeping system and couldn't afford another bag just for summer. Since the BA bags have the pockets build in for the pad, I didn't want to split the two up and have to buy another pad too. Lead to a lot of thinking.

In the end, I came up with what I think is a pretty decent solution. I took my pad over to my mom's house (substitute with anyone you know who can sew well), had her measure it, sew a pocket out of sil-nylon for the mattress pad that mimic'd my BA bag, and then had her sew a fleece blanket on two sides on top of that. So now, it looks just like a normal bag, minus the zipper, but still works the same as my Big Agnes. If it's still too hot for the fleece blanket, I'll just sleep on top of it without anything over me.

10-K
06-24-2009, 18:29
I WANT to just take my liner to save the weight. Of course, if I do that it'll probably snow.

Tough call.

CrumbSnatcher
06-24-2009, 18:32
in 99' i used two bed sheets from the salvation army store in waynesboro VA.(light and real cool to the touch.) actually carried them from rockfish gap VA. to glencliff N.H. a little cold in conn. once.

Pathfinder
06-24-2009, 18:37
It depends where you are hiking but you would be surprised how cool it can get some nights towards the north. A lightweight 45 or even 35 degree bag would be best for a sleeping bag.

garlic08
06-24-2009, 18:59
I switched out to a 45F bag for the summer on the AT. I was very happy with that bag, because it did still get cool a few nights in June and July. My wife tried the same hike with an "unrated" bag (fleece) and had to strike camp a couple of times in the middle of the night and walk to warm up.

BigCat
06-24-2009, 19:21
i also switched to a light 45f bag but usually only used it as a quilt. more often than not, i just used my bag liner.

Scrapes
06-24-2009, 19:22
I just ordered a La Fuma 45 bag from REI for $35. Weighs very little and packs small. Seems like an ideal bag for summer, we'll see.

daddytwosticks
06-24-2009, 19:26
Doing an overnighter this weekend between Stecoah Gap to the NOC...I'll be sleeping in my Frog Sac Sat. night. Looks like temps will be in the mid to high 50's. :)

Blissful
06-24-2009, 19:50
Marmot pounder worked great for me.

LIhikers
06-24-2009, 23:00
I use a fleece blanket for warm,summer, camping.

Tinker
06-24-2009, 23:14
http://www.prolitegear.com/cgi-bin/prolitegear/montbell_ul_alpine_down_hugger_thermal_sheet

I bought one of the last ones. There's nothing wrong with bringing a pair of silk pajamas, either. Use one or the other or both together. I looked into using a fleece bag but it's heavier than the Montbell and not as warm in a cold snap scenario. A bag you can fully unzip and use as a sheet is helpful in warm weather.

Manwich
06-24-2009, 23:29
I bring my 30* bag regardless of the weather in the event of an emergency of sorts (if I'm injured, I could still climb into it if I had to bivuouac out the night)

I put my Mummy-shaped inflatable pad inside of it, and I put my "pillow" (a sack with my clothes, raingear, pack cover and if im in a shelter or cabin, my tent) in the hood of my sleeping bag.

I sleep on top of it all in a homemade sleeping bag made out of fleece or a fleece blanket.

I need a lot of padding, I'm a side sleeper and have huge issues with limbs falling asleep if they're on a hard surface.

/not a gramweenie.

Summit
06-25-2009, 07:03
I don't have a summer bag becasue in recent years I avoid hiking in the hot months. When I did, I did various things. Took a thermal military nylon poncho liner once (folded and sewn into rectangular bag) which was very light and worked well. Most of the time I just slept on top of my 20* bag with appropriate clothes for the temperature.

The Phoenix
06-25-2009, 17:37
As far as price goes Lafuma's x600 bag is going for under 40 bucks on REI! I have used it for about 2 weeks now and have no complaints... best deal I have seen!

Egads
06-25-2009, 18:21
A JRB Nest

greentick
06-25-2009, 18:36
...Took a thermal military nylon poncho liner once (folded and sewn into rectangular bag) which was very light and worked well. ...

Great idea Summit and cheap. $20 new.

http://www.rangerjoes.com/phenix-gear-poncho-linerwoobie-p-3693.html

You can probably find a used one cheaper. These weigh about a pound and a few oz and work great for the temp range you're talking about. Put it inside your 20* bag and you will be able to push 0* as well. I have done this many times. When I made my quilt I was inspired by the 'cho liner and have used my quilt to just under 40*.

Mother Nature
06-25-2009, 19:29
Marmot pounder worked great for me.

I've got a Marmot pounder for sale if any one is interested. Used two weeks.

gregp
06-25-2009, 21:41
Purchased a BA lost dog due to advice from the good folks here.

So far here in the summer, it's way more bag than I feel like I need.

Construction is top notch and my sleeping pad has a sleeve under the bag to fit in.

That being said, I prefer to just unzip the bag and use it as a blanket so far. In fact, I'd rather just leave the pad and bag separate. I do roll around a lot but thus far, have awoken on top of the pad.

I can forsee future problems when I choose my 20 degree mummy bag.

Panzer1
06-25-2009, 22:34
I have a goose down bag that only weights 2 pounds and is rated to 20 degrees. This is what I use in the summer. I don't actually get in it when it is hot, I just use it as a blanket and just cover my legs with it.

Panzer

IceAge
06-26-2009, 14:54
I just ordered a La Fuma 45 bag from REI for $35. Weighs very little and packs small. Seems like an ideal bag for summer, we'll see.

As far as price goes Lafuma's x600 bag is going for under 40 bucks on REI! I have used it for about 2 weeks now and have no complaints... best deal I have seen!

I use the same bag in the summer. Took it down to the mid 30s last year w/ silk long underwear, packs smaller than a football and light weight.

STICK
06-27-2009, 23:04
I am wondering the same thing. I bought a 20* bag and Im wondering about what to do for warm nights. I cant really afford another bag right now, and besides when I get another bag it will be a Montbell UL SS #2!
I am going to the Grand Canyon in about 2 weeks so I went to Wal Mart today and bought some stretchy polyester (dont know exactly what it is, it just said 100% polyester on it, but its stretchy, it actually reminds me of the material that baseball pants are made of) and I have cut it to the size of my bag and I will just get someone to sew it for me. So, I can use it as a liner as well as on its own in warm enough weather, which I believe it will be in the Canyon in mid July!!
The fabric cost me $4, I have to find a zipper and then the cost of sewing, so I figure less than $20 for sure.

mere533
06-28-2009, 14:31
love the marmot pounder. cant beat synthetic in new england esp.

Ranc0r
06-28-2009, 14:48
Poncho liner and a silk bag liner. When it's hot, I just drape the silk liner over me. When I cool off, usually towards dawn, I pull half the poncho liner over me, half under me. I can still regulate my temp with the flap.

I was out in my hammock the other night during a heavy thunderstorm. I wen to sleep hot and sticky, but my back against the hammock bottom carried some heat away and cooled me down. After the rain came through and it cooled off some more, I just tucked the poncho liner in around me.

When car camping in summer, I bring two poncho liners, so I can fold one under me and still have one over the top, or a flap.

Buy poncho liners new - I know a bunch of reservists who beat the snot out of them before they go to surplus outlets. They weigh under 6 oz., and you can save some weight cutting the tie-outs off. Forget the zipper kits to turn them into a sleeping bag - too much for too little. DIY and save.

Ranc0r