PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania through hiker?

emerald
06-24-2009, 20:32
The term through hiker has more than one meaning. In Pennsylvania, it has a specific legal definitiion with respect to State Game Lands (SGL). Click on the link below to read § 135.42, Pennsylvania's exception to PGC's camping prohibition extended to through hikers, who qualifies and where camping is permitted.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/s135.42.html

10-K
06-24-2009, 20:58
Is camping highly regulated in PA? Meaning, in most places can you find a good campsite and pitch a tent or do you have to be hyper-vigilant about where you're at? I generally hike until I find what I think is the last good campsite I'll find before dark and make camp. That's very seldom when I'm at a shelter.

Jester2000
06-24-2009, 21:04
It's not overly regulated, I think. There are specific regulations when you're on State Game Lands that apply to everyone -- for example, you're not allowed to possess alcohol. There are exceptions made for thru-hikers regarding camping in SGL. On the other hand, you're not always in State Game Lands, and elsewhere the restrictions are looser or nonexistent for everyone.

The definition of thru-hikers in relation to State game Lands is, for example, pretty loose -- it defines all but people doing loops or going out and back to the same trailhead as thru-hikers.

simon
06-24-2009, 21:07
Hi, i think many people get confused when speaking of rules in PA. There is State Game Land and State Forest Land. Emeral does a good job of letting people know the rules. Do i think PA is highly regulated, NO.

Wise Old Owl
06-24-2009, 21:22
Well its not quite the AT but I am glad you found that little gem of info here and shared it.

emerald
06-24-2009, 21:23
Hi, i think many people get confused when speaking of rules in PA. There is State Game Land and State Forest Land. Emerald does a good job of letting people know the rules. Do I think PA is highly regulated, NO.

Thank you for your compliment. I can understand why people might get confused, especially those who are most familiar with or have spent all their AT time on our national forests in the South.

In short, the best advise I can give is to carry KTA's maps, realize there are many land managers in Pennsylvania, make an effort to inform yourself about what rules apply before you hike, read signage to remind yourself and respect what land managers are trying to accomplish.

emerald
06-24-2009, 22:20
I generally hike until I find what I think is the last good campsite I'll find before dark and make camp.

On Pennsylvania State Game Lands, almost anywhere on the treadway more than 500 feet from a public access area and surface water would be a legal campsite. I suggest you break camp early to avoid being stepped upon.

I'd rather through hikers camp in the middle of the treadway than see evidence of them having camped next to it. Sometimes, it seems I'm hiking through a linear campsite rather than a trail in Penn's Woods.

Please consider camping out of plain view of the AT, even if PGC doesn't require it.

Panzer1
07-21-2009, 00:40
The term through hiker has more than one meaning. In Pennsylvania, it has a specific legal definitiion with respect to State Game Lands (SGL). Click on the link below to read § 135.42, Pennsylvania's exception to PGC's camping prohibition extended to through hikers, who qualifies and where camping is permitted.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/s135.42.html

That law says that it regulates "thru hikers". But what if your a "section hiker"? That law does not regulate "section hikers". Is that right?

Panzer

saimyoji
07-21-2009, 06:43
That law says that it regulates "thru hikers". But what if your a "section hiker"? That law does not regulate "section hikers". Is that right?

Panzer

(4) Through hikers—Persons walking the trail from a beginning area to an exit area on the trail which is not the place of beginning.

pretty clear to me....:-?

Nasty Dog Virus
07-21-2009, 07:45
Am I correct in saying that the AT does not go on St. Game Lands between Pen Mar > Blue Mtn (between PA 944 & Darlington Shelter)? and then its mostly State Game Lands between Darlington Shelter > Wind Gap? My maps are old...Seems that it would be difficult to tell if you were on NPS Lands or St. Game Lands between Swatara Gap & Wind Gap (even with a map). Is there a link to the NPS Lands camping regulations in PA?

dzierzak
07-21-2009, 11:32
Based on the maps I have on hand -

Pen-Mar to Duncannon - mostly Michaux State Forest
Duncannon to DWG - almost exclusively State Game Lands

Maps date anywhere from 1998 (no rev date) to 2007.

Panzer1
07-22-2009, 23:47
(4) Through hikers—Persons walking the trail from a beginning area to an exit area on the trail which is not the place of beginning.

pretty clear to me....:-?

so then what's the regulation for section hikers?

Panzer

fredmugs
07-23-2009, 11:24
The only restriction I had in PA was two trees spaced far enough apart for my hammock.

Jester2000
07-23-2009, 11:26
so then what's the regulation for section hikers?

Panzer

For PA regulations there's no such thing as a "section hiker." You're either a thru-hiker (which they basically define as a person starting at one point and leaving the trail at a different point), or you're hiking a loop (finishing where you started).

Panzer1
07-23-2009, 20:32
For PA regulations there's no such thing as a "section hiker." You're either a thru-hiker (which they basically define as a person starting at one point and leaving the trail at a different point), or you're hiking a loop (finishing where you started).

so then what's the regulation for a person "hiking a loop"?

Panzer

Lone Wolf
07-23-2009, 21:25
for crissakes! :rolleyes: there ain't no rangers hangin' on the trail in PA checking to see what kind of freakin' hiker you are. non-issue

Panzer1
07-23-2009, 23:04
for crissakes! :rolleyes: there ain't no rangers hangin' on the trail in PA checking to see what kind of freakin' hiker you are. non-issue

The point is was trying to make is that only thru-hikers seem to be regulated..

Panzer

emerald
07-24-2009, 00:58
The point I was trying to make is that only thru-hikers seem to be regulated.

Either you are an AT through hiker (§ 135.42) in which case you are entitled to certain specific camping privileges or you are not a through hiker. Camping is not permitted on Pennsylvania State Game Lands (Title 34, § 135.2) except by through hikers in the manner specified.

Pedaling Fool
07-24-2009, 07:42
It is a non-issue. 1. I've never seen a ranger. 2. If a ranger did walk on the trail when I was camping he never would have seen me. 3. I have no idea what "land" I'm on when I hike.

Jester2000
07-24-2009, 11:55
The point is was trying to make is that only thru-hikers seem to be regulated..

Panzer

Actually, thru-hikers are LESS regulated, in that they're allowed to camp and those doing loops are not.

It is a non-issue. 1. I've never seen a ranger. 2. If a ranger did walk on the trail when I was camping he never would have seen me. 3. I have no idea what "land" I'm on when I hike.

Perhaps it's not an issue for you, which may be why you weren't the one who started the thread. I HAVE seen State Game Land Officials while I've hiked in PA. For some of us it's useful to know the regulations in an area we're moving through; camping is one of the issues brought up here -- another example would be the alcohol regs on PA State Game Lands.

Also, the Game Lands Officials I've met weren't wearing ranger uniforms, so it's entirely possible that you've seen one without realizing it.